• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best railway job for exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I just wanted to test the water here and find out how people's job in the railway differ for physical exercise.

Having done two months in control, I can see that most of my job is confined to a desk for 12 hours with very little movement if you are busy. If I do get any downtime I make a point of having a leg stretch, even if it's just a wander down the corridor! I am starting to become more conscious of snacking during my shift (Kettle crisps & M&Ms are dangerous!!!) or ordering the dodgy kebab on night's as I'm not burning enough calories to compensate eating fatty foods all the time. I do try and get into the gym, but I do find there isn't always enough downtime for the gym when you work 12 hours.

I have noted that Conductors & Train Managers seem to have very active jobs and are on their feet continually. Are these the best jobs for good mobility and exercise?

CJ

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

keep truckin

Conductor roles are relatively active, stepping on/off station platforms & walking through the train. But bear in mind, you are conveying the most volatile, dangerous goods - human beans!

I'd say ground staff type roles in freight yards often require lots of walking in the fresh air.

Aictos

Established Member
Although obviously it’s less pay, there’s always the Train Presentation side of any TOC, it’s a particularly good way to keep fit and it saves on gym membership!

PudseyBearHST

Most definitely the driving grade. Some traction are definitely an exercise for the calves after having to wrestle with the extremely hard DSD pedals. Oh and occasionally drivers may have to walk to the toilet as a result of having to drink the recommended daily intake* of tea. Usually you only have to walk one coach length to get to the toilet (25metres) but horrifyingly, sometimes you may have to walk 2 or 3 coach lengths if the first toilet is out of order or occupied!

To be honest, I’m surprised you had to even ask the question; can’t you see how slim and healthy the majority of train drivers look!**

*12 cups of tea a day as published in the rulebook and working instructions
**in the first 6 months of starting the job

keep truckin

Most definitely the driving grade. Some traction are definitely an exercise for the calves after having to wrestle with the extremely hard DSD pedals. Oh and occasionally drivers may have to walk to the toilet as a result of having to drink the recommended daily intake* of tea. Usually you only have to walk one coach length to get to the toilet (25metres) but horrifyingly, sometimes you may have to walk 2 or 3 coach lengths if the first toilet is out of order or occupied!

To be honest, I’m surprised you had to even ask the question; can’t you see how slim and healthy the majority of train drivers look!**

*12 cups of tea a day as published in the rulebook and working instructions
**in the first 6 months of starting the job
Driver roles also are beneficial in the development of the bicep muscles, these are exercised as the employee walks from the mess room to the train cab whilst balancing a large & heavy hot drink flask.

PudseyBearHST

Driver roles also are beneficial in the development of the bicep muscles, these are exercised as the employee walks from the mess room to the train cab whilst balancing a large & heavy hot drink flask.

This would work well to reduce stress put on drivers having to carry their own drinks but looks like another abandoned NR project due to lack of funding :s

Notwork Fail said:
Notwork Fail are teaming up with Tassimo to provide cab height coffee machines at all lineside signals.

Train drivers can now look forward to a hot coffee of their choice when they stop at red signals across the country. A choice of Americano, Caramel Latte and English Breakfast tea pods will be provided and drivers will easily be able to reach the easy to use coffee makers from the comfort of their driving seat.

The £100m investment will not include distant signals, as trains are not required to stop at these signals, but all stop signals capable of displaying a red aspect will have a machine ready and waiting.

8CD4E93D-4ADD-4576-9B9C-8FCAFE523C0A.png 8CD4E93D-4ADD-4576-9B9C-8FCAFE523C0A.png

Bridger

Previously a guard for two years, and now a driver. I did get a lot of walking in as a guard in comparison to sitting down driving all day. I do however make the effort to always go for a walk during my PNB, and in those 20/ 30 minute turn arounds at terminal stations. Keeps me fresh and alert, and just keeps me that bit more active (I do however do regular exercise both weights and cardio outside of work).

OneLowban

Driving - 12 car operation whilst forgetting your diagram in the other cab a few times a week >>>

baz962

Established Member
Depot driver. Between 5-10 miles a day walking back and forth from the sidings to the station.
Specially at Cricklewood . Everytime I pass through there on the way to work on Thameslink , I look at the distance from the platform to the furthest point of the sidings and just glad it isn't me.

DDB

I was on long distance train late one night and the only other passanger in my carriage was another staff member so the guard sat down to chat (after having done a ticket check) with them. I overheard the guard say he had just applied for and got a job in control which he had gone for as he had quite a few years left until retirement and although he was alright with the walking involved at the moment he was worried he wouldn't be able to do until the end and so wanted to switch to a desk based job for the last part of his career.

sw1ller

Established Member
I can get 25000 steps in when I’m on the depot job. Lucky to get 25 steps in when out doing normal driving though!

Driving - 12 car operation whilst forgetting your diagram in the other cab a few times a week >>>

I find leaving a key in the other end of a 2 car quite annoying! So glad we rarely go over 4 cars here.

alxndr

Established Member
Pway has to be by far. Lots of heavy physical work shovelling and packing, and patrollers will walk miles and miles.

Not necessarily healthy work though, as they've got to be careful with their back, feet, ankles, knees, and also with hearing and hand arm vibration.

Stigy

Established Member
I used to do on average about 15k steps a day in my last job. That’s easily halved now since becoming a trainee driver. The walk to the school helped as it was a good mile and a half from my hotel. Now though I have to admit I’m struggling with the steps :E

Status
Not open for further replies.