• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Railway Mag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

What in your opinion - is the best railway magazine?

I prefer The Railway Magazine Myself as it has a broad mix of articles including kettles.

Rail is rather cheap and nasty (or expensive and nasty considering the price).

If you don't do it already - why don't you do what some of the lads at work do and buy a different mag each - then swap them around when you've finished reading them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
I read whatever my local WHSmith library have in stock at the time ;) If I were to buy one though it'd probably be The Railway Magazine or Railways Illustrated. I always read The Railway Herald as it's free and weekly, therefore is more up-to-date than any commercial magazine can be. It also gets delivered right to your inbox, with a high-res version version available for download too.

Kris

Never heard of that before ...... velly interlesting Mr Bond.

Coxster

Established Member
Never heard of that before
What, The Railway Herald? All you need to do is click the register link and fill in your e-mail address. It is then sent to that e-mail address, normally on Friday nights. Past editions can be found by clicking the 'Back Issues' link in the menu :)

For further information, and to sign up, see http://www.railwayherald.co.uk

T

Tom

The bits that are in it are interesting enough.... read it just for Informed Sources.

Nathan

Railways Illustrated
Modern Railway
Model Rail
Railway Modeller

or whatever is lieing around Stephens house ;)

kettlefan

For the big stuff I prefer Railway Magazine, like Kris said, nice bit of variety.

For the little stuff I read Railway Mudeller, which I now hate with a vengeance. The articles are dull and ALL of the reviews have nothing REALLY bad to say about things, whereas Model Rail actually do point out where the models are crap, the N gauge Dapol M7 is an example of this.
But I get given them for free, so I don't complain :)

Model Rail is the best modeller mag for me.

Kris

My argument against Rail is that it's very thin - costs as much as the others and is in a very poor format.

westcoaster

Established Member
My argument against Rail is that it's very thin - costs as much as the others and is in a very poor format.

but coming out every other week means you get the news quicker, than a mag that comes out monthly.:thin: i know that it works out double the cost a month, i dont find it a bad mag.

Mintona

Established Member
Railway Magazine for me. I like Railways Illustrated too, but don't regularly buy it.

Oracle

Established Member
RAIL hit the buffers in my opinion a few issues back, I miss the "AROUND THE REGIONS" and other columns that have been eased out. Mind you I sent in a photo that they printed and they never acknowledge my name!

Guinness

Established Member
The Daily Chaz. Has everything vital for the Day's Spotting. Free coupons for offers at All Pubs, Bit of hellfire thrash from Rat Action, 323 Movement News, NickW strange ideas and not forgetting the lady action. :)

The Railway Herald is a good source of news but I find most news has already mentioned on Forums.

Dennis

Established Member
Although I buy many of the railway magazines on an ad-hoc basis, I am not overly impressed by any of them. All of the 'news' sections are pretty much old news by the time they reach the shelves and some of the pictures included are simply dreadful. There is also an almost complete absence of meaty technically oreintated aritcles to feed the mind.

Nevertheless, as entertainment, I'm happy to read any of them and they can provide a useful source of information which may be more easily assimilated than those found on t'internet.

I also find it fascinating to read old copies of mags (typically 10-30years old), which can often be picked up for donated pennnies at preserved railways. I am currently reading Modern Railways from June 1980 - hot news then was an APT derailment, Jimmy Saville fronting a new IC ad campaign and a debate about the merits of building DLR (or dedicated bus route).

Nick

Railway Magazine, Railway Modeller and when I see it...Traction.

tubenutter

I read Rail, purely because its the only one available from the newsagents opposite my school.

Status
Not open for further replies.