• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

best railway memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNER 373

Being an 80's child it was all about HST's coming in and out of Newcastle Central, engines blaring almost screaming past as they departed! Always got an invite into the cab for a quick look before they left too!

My first sight of a Class 91....literally gobsmacked (about 8 yrs old)

A cab ride given to me by the head of GNER Chris Garnett in '97 on Class 91 No. 91030 NCL-EDB and first class return

Meeting the Flying Scotsman at Scarborough one sunny afternoon in early 2000's (I think), travelling around on the Tyne & Wear Metro next to the drivers cab (still do it now),
watching all the trains pass Tyne Yard from a vantage point near Birtley on the ECML.

There's many more that I won't take up all your time reading....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hoodedclaw545

Walking up the steps at Padd and Waterloo and hearing class 50s ticking over or even better just catching them as they were fired up!
Walking long the sea wall Dawlish on summer Saturdays, great weather with my farther in the 80s, 31s on the Rose Grove, no heat 47s on the rlf trains, Great Western named 47s and 50s pulling away from Dawlish station on full chat.
All seems far too long ago now!:cry::cry::cry:

AJP62

5th March 1977 - first railtour (pair of 20s over several freight only lines in Glasgow / Edinburgh area)

Thought I'd been on the same train as you for my first railtour (rather than Merrymaker) but looking at the itinary on Six Bells Junction it wasn't the same one. The one you were on was Caledonian No2 by LCGB so it may have been Caledonian No 1 I was on but that isn't detailed on there.

Similar theme - up to Glasgow then various freight routes behind a pair of 20s including docks along the Clyde and over the Airdrie - Bathgate line before it closed!

I'd be interested in the full itinary if anyone has it.

exile

Established Member
Waiting for a train at Duirinish - sticking out my hand and seeing a class 37 hauled train stop just for me and the Mrs!

Status
Not open for further replies.