• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best railway moments of 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Re 4/4

My first journey on a Class 800. It was during the summer, hot outside but everything from AC to wifi worked perfectly and the train was clean, new and on time.

Fearless

The Mazey Day Cornishman railtour in June, two Class 50s and a rake of 1980s Mk 2s (I think!). Glorious weather, the locos didn't miss a beat, I had so many great conversations with like-minded folk. Perfect day.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Boarding a train at Cambridge, and still being on same said train on the Brighton Main Line at Gatwick Airport.

Iskra

Established Member
Although I've had a quieter year on the rails, I still have a few contenders, so one of these:

1) Double headed class 73's out of a snowy Inverness on the Caledonian Sleeper. Sitting in the lounge car with a cheeseboard and a real ale. Then scoring a 92 later in the trip.
2) The Diamond 20's railtour: my first class 20 haulage and a total of 5 winning loco's plus some new lines.
3) Getting the train from the bottom of Italy back to Sheffield. The highlights being the TGV through the Alps or the Italian LHCS between Reggio Calabria and Naples which is a stunning run.
4) Class 37 around the Cumbrian Coast

So it's been a year of quality rather than quantity for me!

The_Train

Established Member
The moment my pen hit paper and wrote a train number down for the first time in nearly 20 years

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
My first trip over into the continent was this year so my first one of those for sure, a 5 day interrail back in June with @cactustwirly, taking me all over and seeing sights you just can't experience over here.

johnr57

Shaking the hand of the esteemed Mr Cameron on the footplate of No. 9 at Edinburgh Waverley

cactustwirly

Established Member
My first trip over into the continent was this year so my first one of those for sure, a 5 day interrail back in June with @cactustwirly, taking me all over and seeing sights you just can't experience over here.

Fully agreed! Thanks for coming along! Definitely the best moment of 2018!

DavidGrain

Established Member
May, when I completed travel over every line in both directions within the Birmingham city boundary when I took a train from New Street to Nuneaton via these lines:

Lifford Curve usually used only by ECS workings
Camp Hill Line usually only used in passenger service by XC trains to/from Bristol and South West
St Andrews Junction Landor Street Junction normally freight only

Within the West Midlands County I still have to do Wolverhampton to Walsall line but at present there is only the 'parly' train very early one morning each week.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Seeing four tracks through Stapleton Road again, at last!.

Last edited:

Trainfan344

Established Member
Being in the front coach of Double headed Class 42s from Bridgnorth to Kidderminster in May.

adamedwards

Getting off the train at Lymington Piet and going straight on to the ferry car deck with bike in stunning sunshine.

Morris Dancer

Fulfilling a childhood dream and going on top of the Forth Bridge on a sunny afternoon in September. Best £50 (donation to Barnardo's) I've ever spent!

xotGD

Established Member
Has to be the loco-hauled services on the Windermere branch. Dreadful!

On a personal level, scratching my first 37s for haulage in around 15 years. I've been away, you know!

bspahh

Established Member
In the summer, I had an afternoon to get from Munich to Mannheim. I had an ICE ticket but broke my journey in Ulm for dinner and a walk by the Danube. The next train to Stuttgart was an Intercity. I had a whole coach to myself, with a metre wide drop window, a warm evening, sunset and a line that wiggled up a valley.
full

cactustwirly

Established Member
In the summer, I had an afternoon to get from Munich to Mannheim. I had an ICE ticket but broke my journey in Ulm for dinner and a walk by the Danube. The next train to Stuttgart was an Intercity. I had a whole coach to myself, with a metre wide drop window, a warm evening, sunset and a line that wiggled up a valley.
full

That sounds awesome!

E_Reeves

Established Member
Riding the Norwich - Gt Yarmouth in a MK2 behind an immaculate 37 in wonderful weather... A brilliant day out!

mrcheek

Established Member
when the snow started to melt at the beginning of March, and I was able to resume my 14 day All Line Rover after the first 3 days were ruined

On Moderation
Has to be the loco-hauled services on the Windermere branch. Dreadful!
Yep! Certainly a highlight from the UK point of view.

Other than that, really enjoyed a first trip to Slovakia and Czech Republic, with ČD restaurant cars recommended.

Established Member
Probably being able to clear the East and West Coastways is up there for me - East Coast way is a brilliant line and I did it on a beautiful warm day and enjoyed a day out in Hastings. West Coastway had a line possession when I did it Chichester <> Littlehampton but because I did it at dusk the bus service actually went through the beautiful seaside town of Bognor Regis and all the Southern guards that day were friendly and funny. It makes you appreciate the little things that people do but it puts a great big smile on your face and you do remember that.

On Moderation
The IEP tearing wires down.
Certainly a contender for funniest moment of the year, along with other IEP farces like the multiple hour Hele & Bradninch one.

Status
Not open for further replies.