• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best refurbishment transformation, which do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poshbakerloo

Best refurbishment transformation, which do you like?

I always like the idea of refurbishing old trains. Taking something old and grotty, and transforming it into something nice, new, smart and shiny!

I think some of the best refurbishments have been done to MK3 coaches and 158s/159s...

Here are some photos of external and internal refurbishments that I think look good, work well and and comfortable...

The original MK3 seats are almost perfect to sit on, and the new seats FGW used in their 158s are to die for! Some of Northern's 144s have them, but due to the crappy leg room you can't appreciate them as much!

790px-Q_Mark_IIIA_TSO_12127_Standard_Class_Interior.JPG

800px-J_Mark_IIIA_RFM_10208_First_Class_Half_Internal.JPG

800px-N_Mark_IIIA_TSO_12127.JPG

784px-158748_Interior.JPG

800px-158760_Cardiff_Central.JPG

Which refurbish do you like the most and why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Due to a short term hire, I've travelled on a SWT 158 a few times recently, and you really notice the difference between this refurbishment programme and Northern's. The excellent seats have been retained, and the look is fresh and bright. Too often thesedays I feel that refurbishments are spoilt by poor interior lighting, for example, on the FGW MK3s. It's such an unpleasant environment to be in for a long time, and far too bright.

Aictos

Established Member
The FCC refurbishment for the 313s, 365s and 319s are quite good with the 313 programme being a big improvement on the former WAGN interior, the same being said for the 365 programme, I don't use the 319s that much but the refurbished ones look quite nice.

Can't comment on the 317s as they've yet to be done but if done like the 319s then they will look like new.

The Grand Central and WSMR refurbs look good as well as to the FGW MK3s I don't think there's any problems with the lighting, I remember when the GNER HSTs were first refurbished I used to hate them as the lighting was far far brighter then the FGW HSTs but I'm pretty sure the FGW Train Managers have the ability to dim the lighting if needed with thanks to some operational manuals.

Drsatan

Established Member
The WSMR Mk3s do look good: at least they've retained the original seats and seating layout instead of following FGW's course and cramming in as many seats as possible, which IMO makes the coach feel claustrophobic.

SWT's refurbished 455s feel nicer inside because the interior panels were resprayed and the lighting replaced, which makes the interior feel more spacious. It's certainly a better refurbishment than Southern's. However, the loss of seats is a disappointment.

IMO the seats fitted to some of FGW's refurbished 158s aren't that comfy. The ex-TPE ones retain their original seats which are more comfortable. Same goes for the seats in SWT's 158s and 159s.

thefab444

Established Member
The FGW 158 seats in the picture posted by the OP are awful! The original 158 seats fitted to most FGW 158s (and SWT 158s etc.) are good though.

devon_metro

Established Member
The FGW 158 seats in the picture posted by the OP are awful! The original 158 seats fitted to most FGW 158s (and SWT 158s etc.) are good though.

Agreed, one of my favourite refurbs is the FGW 158 one with original seats which you sink into. Lovely.

Established Member
The original Mk3 seats are sh*te, they lack support and give me a sore back.
Personal favorites are those in FSR 158s, but I also really like those used in Voyagers, and the ones in FSRs Turbos as well.

4SRKT

Established Member
My favourite refurbishment ever was the class 50s. That headlight somehow made their front ends look complete. The refurbishment didn't seem to reduce the amount of clag much, something that's always a possibility you would hope. So they took a claggy, slightly odd looking loco into the works, and turned out the enthusiasts' dream: a still claggy, but now very attractive loco :)

Still a driver after more than 600 posts. What's to do? There's someone knocking about on here who's a managing director, with only a couple of hundred more posts than me.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
My favourite refurbishment ever was the class 50s. That headlight somehow made their front ends look complete. The refurbishment didn't seem to reduce the amount of clag much, something that's always a possibility you would hope. So they took a claggy, slightly odd looking loco into the works, and turned out the enthusiasts' dream: a still claggy, but now very attractive loco :)

They did modify the cooling system so they no longer made the "hoover" sound however.

My favourite refurbishment is GNER HST "package" of refurbishment and reengineering. I find the seats extremely comfortable, especially in first class, the ambience and environment is warm and welcoming, it feels modern and luxurious. In addition, the MTUs, love them or hate them, have represented a rebirth of the HST.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The original Mk3 seats are sh*te, they lack support and give me a sore back.
Personal favorites are those in FSR 158s, but I also really like those used in Voyagers, and the ones in FSRs Turbos as well.

Which 158's the once that have had a decent refurbishment I assume or the ones that have just had their Richmond's repadded?

I think the proper refurbished sets make them the best 158's in the UK (shame EMT couldn't use the same layout as they use the same seats). The Richmond's to me are the most uncomfortable seat I use regularly. The FGW sets photed are Richmonds, which isn't a surprise considering they used to be in the Scotrail sets before they got a decent refurbishment.

I think sets 158701 - 724 have the decent refurbishment.

Class_31

Oh no, wait, it's never been re-furbished!! Nice original orange cab bulkhead and at least 1 remaining parcel door.

Back on topic, I was very impressed by the mallard sets first time I got on one. That Wrexham & Shropshire re-furb looks good too. I'll have to go and find one!!

Martin.C

devon_metro

Established Member
My personal favourite UK railway carriage is FGW First Class. The leather seats are extremely comfortable IMO.

rail-britain

Established Member
During my First Class ALR last summer I was most impressed with the Cross Country First Class, although there are only a limited number of seats with "full views"

Next would have to be the Mark 4 First Class
I made all my reservations in the 2+2 seating in the centre of the coach, giving me loads of leg room and preventing shoulder bashing as people pass

The GNER Mark 3 HST was acceptable, especially compared to an unrefurbished set I also travelled on (seemed extremely noisy and drafty for some reason)

The early refurbishment of NXEA and MML were also acceptable, only let down by the lack of power points

The ATW refurbished RFM, although retrimmed to a very high standard, was let down by the lack of power points and badly designed toilet

Neither was I impressed by the FGW HST
The seats just did not compare to those on Cross Country or the FGW sleeper

Lampshade

Established Member

Oh no, wait, it's never been re-furbished!! Nice original orange cab bulkhead and at least 1 remaining parcel door.

Back on topic, I was very impressed by the mallard sets first time I got on one. That Wrexham & Shropshire re-furb looks good too. I'll have to go and find one!!

Martin.C

The parcel doors are a good thing, they keep out the draughts :)

I like the (now quite old) refurbishment on 142065, it's created the ultimate oxymoron - a Pacer you want to travel on :shock:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Brighton line CIG's - less was definately more - Particularly compared to the CEP's with their lovely orange walls :-

4SRKT

Established Member
The Brighton line CIG's - less was definately more - Particularly compared to the CEP's with their lovely orange walls :-

Oooh yes, I remember the CEP refurbishment now you come to mention it. Those hopper type windows were a bit odd (no leaning out :(), and HST style seating in a Mk I was definitely a bit of a contrast.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Went on WSMR for the first time today. The nicest train I've ever been on.

Daimler

Established Member
Went on WSMR for the first time today. The nicest train I've ever been on.

They are rather special, aren't they?

Certainly take the crown of 'best refurb' for me! Though the FGW Mk3 first class is really very nice too.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Oooh yes, I remember the CEP refurbishment now you come to mention it. Those hopper type windows were a bit odd (no leaning out :(), and HST style seating in a Mk I was definitely a bit of a contrast.

Yeah, they were far more draughty than the sliding ventilators as well :|

fgwrich

Established Member
For me, its has to be, and in order:

First Great Westerns HST Fleet
First Great Westerns 153 Fleet
FGW's 143 fleet - the green & red used to make them feel so dark & drab!
Wrexham & Shropshire
& First Scotrails Class 158s- Even if everything else on them is pretty unreliable!...

Status
Not open for further replies.