• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Simulator for Diagramming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plethora

Hi all,

I first got into train simulators with MSTS, which was a fantastic Simulator, though sadly far too prone to crashes. One of the best features of it was the editor which allowed quite complex timetables for different routes to be set very simply. The downside was that the map editor was not very accessible and the aforementioned crashes.

Enter Train Simulator (or Rail works as or was known then) . Finally an accessible map editor, and nice looking trains, so big plusses there. I spent long periods of time designing an open world level and placing assets and stock into it.

The downside was that timetable and diagram management was just awful. If two trains hit a single line section or a junction, you needed to manually hold one to prevent a timetable error. The AI was just not good enough to deal with a dynamic situation. If course this places real constraints on the development of larger stations or of complex interworking scenarios. What I really wanted was the ability to set recurring routes, and then to drop in and out of routes as a driver to experience the timetable first hand.

I therefore left that game behind over five years ago. I gather things have not changed.

My fix has been provided by Transport Fever over the past couple of months. It doesn't feature train driving, but it does allow fairly complex infrastructure developments and an effective interworking of diagrams (albeit they can't be timetabled).

The Simulator I've not yet tried is Trainz. The map editor looks good, but how are the other elements? Is there another option that I may have missed?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Plethora

Have you played SimSig before? Or Simutrans?

I haven't tried simutrans, but it looks similar to openTTD, for which TF is a visual upgrade. What is the advantage it has over these?

I've seen mention of SimSig, and I guess I'll need to give that a try. Would I be right in assuming it is effectively a signalling/network management sim?

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I haven't tried simutrans, but it looks similar to openTTD, for which TF is a visual upgrade. What is the advantage it has over these?

I've seen mention of SimSig, and I guess I'll need to give that a try. Would I be right in assuming it is effectively a signalling/network management sim?
SimSig is a signalling simulator, yes.

Simutrans is like OpenTTD, but has an Extended version as well, which allows for (somewhat) complex diagramming. Somebody managed to recreate the whole Great Britain railway network with the off-peak timetables and service patterns on it. It's pretty good.

broodje

The best simulator for diagramming would be jbbs Bahn in my opinion. It is an horrible piece of software, no Gui to mention, you can't drive any trains and the graphics are from 1991. I have created the whole dutch network of 2003 in it though, timetabled and all. Including splitting and joining trains, ECS moves and freight where I knew it. Unfortunately my hdd crashed in sometime since 2005 so I lost the file. It was quite entertaining seeing all the trains doing their thing. You can find it at http://www.jbss.de/hpg_eng.htm
I believe there is (was?) a user trying to create the UK in a similar way.

LUYMun

Diesel Railcar Simulator is a brand new game that is in its early stages, but a timetable editor has already been implemented, and it's really easy to create them.

Status
Not open for further replies.