• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best sited stations for town/city centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkyT

Established Member
It's the beating heart of Sarf London!
It's not even in Clapham though! It is, however, a very good example of new settlement and commercial activity coalescing around an established major rail hub. Stations named '... junction', '... road' or the modern '... parkway' don't even have to be in the same county as the headline place they claim to serve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
It's not even in Clapham though! It is, however, a very good example of new settlement and commercial activity coalescing around an established major rail hub. Stations named '... junction', '... road' or the modern '... parkway' don't even have to be in the same county as the headline place they claim to serve.
its nearer to its namesake than the other Clapham station - that also used to be a junction!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Leeds, Sheffield, Carnforth, Morecambe and Huddersfield are all pretty good.

As someone who lives on the northern fringe of Sheffield City Centre and studies in the City Centre, and accesses the station from both- I'd disagree! Too many damn hills and I often end up jumping on the 95 or 120.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Birmingham New Street, obviously. It's so central that they've built a swish new shopping centre on top of the station and named it 'Grand Central', you can also get to the Bullring without going outside and New Street itself is one of the three or four main shopping streets in the city centre. Moor Street isn't badly located either, it's practically in the shadow of Selfridges and maybe a two minute walk from High Street . I'll throw Walsall out there too, it's inside the central shopping centre in Walsall .

backontrack

Established Member
  • Aberdeen
  • Carlisle
  • Conwy
  • Edinburgh Waverley
  • Inverness
  • Lincoln
  • Newcastle Central
  • Penrith North Lakes
  • Rochester
  • Settle
  • York

Welshman

Established Member

Depends on which part of Lincoln you require - the castle and cathedral are just a nice little stroll up Steep Hill, but then I suppose only a funicular
would be convenient for them :D

May I also add Llandudno, Llandudno Junction, Deganwy, Colwyn Bay, Rhyl, Prestatyn, Flint and Shotton to the list? Also Llanrwst, Betws-y-coed and Blaenau Ffestiniog now they are seeing trains again!

Last edited:

AndyW33

Depends on which part of Lincoln you require - the castle and cathedral are just a nice little stroll up Steep Hill, but then I suppose only a funicular
would be convenient for them :D
Or the bus routes 7 and 8 from the shiny new bus station just across the road from Lincoln Central. Ride up and walk down works for me.

gnolife

Established Member
I think also Leeds, Wigan, St Helens C, Oxford Rd are all well sited for their town/city centres.
Oxford Road is good 10-15 minute walk to the main shopping centres of Manchester, and Deansgate (or Salford Central, if you can get a train going that way) are better for the business areas.

I think Partick, Clydebank (or Singer, if you're on the Westerton line) and Helensburgh Central are very convenient for their respective centres.

Petersfield is just 350 yards or 5 min. walk from the Market Square and 50 yards from the first retail premises and a bar!

laseandre

Established Member
All the stations near me seem to be decently located as the crow flies, but have a kind of terrible path to their town centres:
  • Alexandria is only 5 minutes walk away from the main street, but the single platform station is on the opposite side from the centre and stuck in the middle of a traffic gyratory with no way of crossing except traffic lights
  • Dumbarton Central is again only 5 minutes walk away, but you have to cross a dual carriageway either by traffic lights or a dark underpass, and the underpass route leads you into the back end of the "shopping centre" (a single pedestrianised street)

Dr_Paul

Established Member

Clapham Junction station was built in open fields, quite some way from any settlement. My Bradshaw from 1921 has a note for the station saying 'mid-Battersea', adding that it's a mile and a quarter from Clapham, by which I think it means the centre around the Old Town. But Clapham Junction has become the name for the area around the station; I lived for a bit in a squat in Ingrave Street off the Falcon Road (don't ask...), and people referred to the area as Clapham Junction and not Battersea.

The original centre of Battersea was around St Mary's Church on the riverbank. The now defunct Battersea station on the West London Line was the closest station to there, as can be seen on this map. Battersea Park and Queenstown Road are quite a way to the east of Battersea, almost as far as Clapham Junction is from Clapham.

Iskra

Established Member
Meadowhall isn't as convenient as you might think, as it's a fair walk from the Barnsley line platforms to the shopping centre! At least it's almost all undercover I guess...

Agreed. It's also quite a narrow corridor, which is not great if you're walking against the flow.

Iskra

Established Member
Or if (as usual) people don't keep left. There shouldn't need to be a sign for that!

There’s something about shopping centres which makes people want to walk in line abreast formation. Nowhere else do people do that, but it makes that bridge a pain in the backside sometimes.

Ianigsy

Harrogate is next to the bus station and over the road from the main shops- walking briskly you can probably be at Betty's within 5 minutes.

Ilkley is equally well situated for most of the shops and facilities.

Good in the East Midlands are: Mansfield, Lincoln, Sleaford, Matlock, Bingham, Bulwell, Oakham (it's flat), and I'm struggling to think of more....
Interestingly all 3 East Midlands Cities stations- Derby, Leicester & Nottingham are NOT convenient for their City centres. Nor are Chesterfield, Loughborough, Beeston, Burton on Trent, Long Eaton, Ilkeston, Alfreton, Hucknall, Newark Castle, Newark Northgate, Retford, Worksop, Grantham, Gainsborough Lea Road, Melton Mowbray, Market Harborough, Hinckley, Stamford......

Status
Not open for further replies.