• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best smartcard to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
It's not pointless if you are continuing from Dorking (Main) on Southern services.
It is though if you start and finish from Deepdene, why is it valid at that station if there are no readers there?

That's the bit that's pointless, surely it's not impossible to install readers at that station so you CAN tap in or out there?

mattdickinson

I’m not sure they can, the OID, Operator ID needs to be known to the system.

There is one exception , we aren’t allowed to retail ScotRail flows onto Smartcards either ours or t

I'm unfamiliar with the jargon, and what you mean by it being "unknown to the system". But the problem needs to be solved if at all possible, as ITSO is supposed to be an interoperable system and as it stands it's miserably failing at that.

Another justification I've heard for not allowing it is liability - when trying to get a Go-Ahead subsidiary to issue a ticket on my Stagecoach card, I was told they won't do that because Stagecoach might hold Go-Ahead responsible if anything goes wrong with that card afterwards. That needs to be solved somehow as well.

ITSO and the transport industry have done an excellent job of making the underlying technology compatible and widely used - now they need to work on removal of the "red tape" policies which prevent the system from actually being any good.

It is though if you start and finish from Deepdene, why is it valid at that station if there are no readers there?

That's the bit that's pointless, surely it's not impossible to install readers at that station so you CAN tap in or out there?
It's a GWR station so Southern don't feel like paying to do that.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It is though if you start and finish from Deepdene
Agreed.
why is it valid at that station if there are no readers there?
So you can continue on another Southern train from the other Dorking station. I'd imagine quite a few people do it if they persuaded GWR to accept the tickets.
Not impossible, no, but who pays?

mmh

Established Member
Agreed.

So you can continue on another Southern train from the other Dorking station. I'd imagine quite a few people do it if they persuaded GWR to accept the tickets.

The taxpayer, as with everything else on the railway.

Aictos

Established Member
Good question, I believe that should be the responsibility of the company managing that station in which case as it's Great Western? I believe it's in their best interest to allow smartcards to be used at that station, I mean if a GWR smartcard can be used at Folkestone Central or Canterbury East which are operated by Southeastern then surely Great Western can ensure it's possible for their own passengers plus others to be able to tap in or out at Deepdene.

johncrossley

Established Member
I ended up getting an EMR smartcard, considering I use their app for eTickets. However, on the Scotrail mTicket thread it was mentioned that the Chiltern app offered smartcard for Scotrail journeys whereas the EMR app only offered Mobile tickets. So I thought I would add my EMR smartcard to the Chiltern app. However I was unable to do so because the Chiltern app said the smartcard number is invalid.

mattdickinson

I ended up getting an EMR smartcard, considering I use their app for eTickets. However, on the Scotrail mTicket thread it was mentioned that the Chiltern app offered smartcard for Scotrail journeys whereas the EMR app only offered Mobile tickets. So I thought I would add my EMR smartcard to the Chiltern app. However I was unable to do so because the Chiltern app said the smartcard number is invalid.
At the moment you need a Chiltern smartcard for the Chiltern app, but any tickets for smartcard enabled routes can be loaded on it.

johncrossley

Established Member
Given there's a limit of 5 tickets on a smartcard, when do expired tickets get removed to make space? I bought and used two Day Travelcards this week and loaded them on my EMR card. The National Rail smartcard app shows that I've used 2 out of the 5 available slots and those two Day Travelcards are shown as 'expired'.

CV110

Given there's a limit of 5 tickets on a smartcard, when do expired tickets get removed to make space? I bought and used two Day Travelcards this week and loaded them on my EMR card. The National Rail smartcard app shows that I've used 2 out of the 5 available slots and those two Day Travelcards are shown as 'expired'.
When my Chiltern smartcard filled up with 5 tickets and I tried to add another using the app, I got an error telling me the smartcard was full and I needed to order a new one! So I gave up and went back to paper tickets. This was a couple of years ago and hopefully the app is now able to remove expired tickets.

Haywain

Veteran Member
When my Chiltern smartcard filled up with 5 tickets and I tried to add another using the app, I got an error telling me the smartcard was full and I needed to order a new one! So I gave up and went back to paper tickets. This was a couple of years ago and hopefully the app is now able to remove expired tickets.
5 tickets is the maximum and expired tickets will be removed as new tickets are loaded.

CV110

5 tickets is the maximum and expired tickets will be removed as new tickets are loaded.
Yes I know. I tried to load a new ticket with the app, but it gave an error that the smartcard was full and I needed to order a new one. I presume the app didn't have the capability to remove expired tickets.

dlj83

Surely after GBR becomes operational there will be one national smart card for travel?

centraluser

If your Chiltern smartcard is full, space will be cleared if your next ticket is loaded at ticket barriers at the originating station (if there are barriers) or by using any Chiltern ticket machine. Unfortunately the Chiltern App(s) cannot clear up expired slots if attempting to load using a phone’s NFC functionality.

johncrossley

Established Member
If your Chiltern smartcard is full, space will be cleared if your next ticket is loaded at ticket barriers at the originating station (if there are barriers) or by using any Chiltern ticket machine. Unfortunately the Chiltern App(s) cannot clear up expired slots if attempting to load using a phone’s NFC functionality.

Is that specific to just Chiltern smartcards? Can other apps remove old tickets?

JaJaWa

Established Member
FenMan

Established Member
There is a National Rail app for managing smartcard tickets now:

Given the number of installs of the Android version since June is only 1,000+, is this an indication of the popularity of Flexi-Seasons?

CV110

I wish they'd fix this, along with the misleading error message telling you to order a new "Smarcard" when the card is full.

IMG_6682.PNG

zcacmxi

If for most users, 'all cards are the same', then the only real difference will be who you deal with in the event you lose it and want it cancelled / replaced?

I got the SouthEastern Key and also a SouthWestern Touch for a journey I do fairly regularly (between these two areas).
I've been using the SouthEastern Key without issues, via their app. See no reason to use the SouthWestern, unless the Southeastern app becomes unreliable, or if I lose it and they don't replace it quickly, etc...

lancededcena

Well, GA advertises their smart card as being only for season ticket holders but you can load any other regular ticket with railcard discount except for Super-Off Peaks on the smartcard normally, I don't know if other TOCs advertises it like that though.

zcacmxi

I think originally years ago SouthEastern only offered the smartcard option to gold/season ticket holders only. But now advertises to all.

Re. 'Railcard discount' and Smart. SouthEastern - 'Can not load railcard onto Smart' - Buy the ticket with discount as usual. Load it on to the card and carry the 'railcard' separately to show elegibility if asked. Same as with a paper ticket.

There are no other technical benefits, no pay as you go, etc. SouthWestern does have a 'tap&go' option, but no railcard either..

SouthWestern does have a 'tap&go' option, but no railcard either..
I've just loaded Tap2Go (using the NR app from another thread), I just need to remember not to use it at weekends, which is the only time I get a worthwhile Railcard discount. It seems odd not to allow Railcard discounts on Tap2Go. If the product itself can't store the discount, but the back-end could, then it's the same problem TfL have with contactless fares, that there's no way to alert an inspector that the Railcard should be held.

And on the question of cards full of expired tickets, I thought I'd read in the spec, or perhaps just wished I had, that expired tickets could be removed at any validation, not just at the point of sale. Maybe it's a question of processing time to do that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.