• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Sounding Loco - Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8A Rail

Established Member
Easy and no contest, an EE Type 4 (Class 40) opening up, then again just idling is just music too (alternative is a Class 20). In general English Electric engines have always sounded the best in lots of ways.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quakkerillo

Bombardier TRAXX F140 MS sounds great when accelerating from standing. I know it's and odd choice with being electric (and continental, sorry) but as I regularly use it, I do find it a nice sounding engine. :)

Harbornite

Established Member
Bombardier TRAXX F140 MS sounds great when accelerating from standing. I know it's and odd choice with being electric (and continental, sorry) but as I regularly use it, I do find it a nice sounding engine. :)

They sound alright from what I've heard on youtube videos. Regarding Germany, the Class 112's and the Eurosprinter variants sometimes sound quite nice, although I'm not keen on the "musical notes" made by the ES64U2's!

6Gman

Established Member
Coming up the stairs from KX tube to hear the throbbing of Deltics on the blocks, a sound never to be forgotten.

Yes, indeed.

Mind you I'd also list:

Westerns on West Country banks.
20s (in pairs) drifting around Toton.
37s and 40s whistling.

There's something special about 60s.

Established Member
I've got a very specific answer.

A Class 37 powering inland, echoing around the Strath of Kildonan from Helmsdale, with an Inverness to Wick/Thurso train in the 1980s.

No contest.

TRAX

Established Member
Anything modern. Especially diesel-electric. The Class 70 is a good example of what I like most, the heavy roar of the big diesel engine combined with the sweet song of the electric motors always fills my ears with joy.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
On the open front platform of the guards van with a Skoda built 2-8-2 being given all the beans climbing tender first through the uphill spiral tunnel on the Bohinj railway in Slovenia. Less than 4 feet from the blast pipe and still the loudest thing I have heard this side of a Moterhead gig!

Taunton

Established Member
Lying in bed as a child, well after midnight, maybe 2am. The somewhat distant sound of one of the heavy overnight trains in their last steam-hauled years just starting westbound from Taunton station coming over the town rooftops. Classically it was always a full-power start here to get up as much speed in the about three miles before the start of Wellington bank. The overnight trains were always the heaviest, maybe 13 coaches.

Here's the first bark of the Castle coming. Now he's pulling the regulator wide open. The beats speed up a bit, so does the volume. Now he's nosing over the crossover onto the Down Main. Wonder how anyone sleeps in the bedrooms of those houses that back onto the line. Now he's coming under the Fortysteps footbridge, that big train stretched out right back to the station. Every beat a bit faster. A sudden loss of volume, he's under the Staplegrove Road bridge, and now the sound is notably shielded, but he's still accelerating, faster and faster into the countryside. Just listen, fainter and fainter, there he goes. Gone. No, I can just hear a few more very distant muffled beats. I think. And that's it.

Last edited:

12CSVT

Established Member
37906 at the Mid Hants and Severn Valley galas in 2000.

Something we will never experience again is a 37/9 on the 1 in 75 climb to Ebbw Vale with a 900 ton steel coil train.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
An 87 or 86 at slow speed. That wail makes my hair stand on end.

For a Diesel, a 37 at full chat, or a Valenta 43 at any speed.

TRAX

Established Member
Lying in bed as a child, well after midnight, maybe 2am. The somewhat distant sound of one of the heavy overnight trains in their last steam-hauled years just starting westbound from Taunton station coming over the town rooftops. Classically it was always a full-power start here to get up as much speed in the about three miles before the start of Wellington bank. The overnight trains were always the heaviest, maybe 13 coaches.

Here's the first bark of the Castle coming. Now he's pulling the regulator wide open. The beats speed up a bit, so does the volume. Now he's nosing over the crossover onto the Down Main. Wonder how anyone sleeps in the bedrooms of those houses that back onto the line. Now he's coming under the Fortysteps footbridge, that big train stretched out right back to the station. Every beat a bit faster. A sudden loss of volume, he's under the Staplegrove Road bridge, and now the sound is notably shielded, but he's still accelerating, faster and faster into the countryside. Just listen, fainter and fainter, there he goes. Gone. No, I can just hear a few more very distant muffled beats. I think. And that's it.

How a story should be. Thank you sir.

darylyates17

For me the best sounding locos are:
Diesel Locos
Class 37
Class 43 HST with the Valenta engine
Class 55 Deltic
Class 68
Class 70
I also have a soft spot for the Class 60 engine sound as they are my favorite locos.

Electric Locos
Class 86
Class 87
Class 91
Class 92
The Class 373 Eurostar Power cars also make a very good sound although they are classed as EMUs.

delt1c

Established Member
27 working hard on the west highland line with the sleeper service and resturuant car. A heavy train on a steeply graded line for a type 2

Established Member
My favourite sounding loco has to be an Isle of Man Railway Beyer Peacock 2-4-0T, no doubts at all about that one. The Dubs 0-6-0T sounds great too.

I quite like the sound of the Class 37s, 68s and 91s as well.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
For UK: Deltic, 68 then 67 in that order.

Having said that, if you've never stood at Blackwell Court camp site while an unassisted 45 pounds up the Lickey with a long express behind it, you haven't lived...

sprinterguy

Established Member
37s. Despite being relatively low powered, they always sound monstrous.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Personally, I prefer the class 66 in idle.
Really? For a while when the Metro extension to Sunderland was being put in, we'd have one sit directly outside the house for several hours on a Sunday afternoon, and I can think of few things more irritating than that constant yinging winding up and down.
Easy and no contest, an EE Type 4 (Class 40) opening up, then again just idling is just music too (alternative is a Class 20). In general English Electric engines have always sounded the best in lots of ways.
Fully agreed. :)
Thomas The Tank Engine is the best sounding steam engine
Ah, but Ivor had a three note whistle. ;)

On Moderation
Top by some way is a Valenta engined power car (so 41001 currently).

Others in no particular order: 14, 37, 56, 68, DB 218 (TB11 engined version).

For electric locos, Siemens type ES64U2 (ÖBB Taurus, DB 182 etc)

Deepgreen

Established Member
Steam of any description, but for 'modern' choices - class 25/27s idling at the buffers at Glasgow Queen Street - very evocative of my family holidays in the highlands as a child. The long stop at Crianlarich to permit a visit to the platform buffet - wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.