• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Sounding Loco - Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cj_1985

I quite like the sound from a 66.... I find it quite relaxing, not as much as say a 465, but enjoyable nonetheless

Philip

On Moderation
Does anyone know of a clip of the Fell diesel in operation? Be interesting to hear how it sounded!

mushroomchow

No contest in terms of top link services that are still running - it's gotta be the VP185 HSTs. The closest thing to hellfire left on the passenger network without going to the arse end of nowhere.

If we're casting the net wider, I've got a real soft spot for a class 31 working hard. They've got a proper growl on them if given the opportunity.

Oh, and I would let UKRL do things to me for bringing all those 56s and a few 37s to my neck of the woods. :wub:

As an aside, I have never heard the sound of a class 50 before they were modified - does anybody have a link?

Last edited:

CosherB

Established Member
It is easy to recreate. just sit quietly and imagine a sad, quiet hissing and an occasional drip and tick. They usually broke down. ;)

Another political decision to even buy 50s. BR should have ordered a further fleet of 50 x 100mph Class 47/4s.

The joys of hindsight. ;)

ac6000cw

Established Member
Another political decision to even buy 50s. BR should have ordered a further fleet of 50 x 100mph Class 47/4s.

The joys of hindsight. ;)

Nah - it should have been a fleet of DP2 clones with ETS - simple locos, without all the unreliable gizmos that eventually had to be removed anyway (or super-powered 37s, if you look at it another way) ;)

fowler9

Established Member
At the end of the day my washing machine provides more thrash than pretty much anything on the rails today.

EMD

Personally, I prefer the class 66 in idle. Lovely sound! I'd love to know other people's thoughts!

Definitely 66 for me too. Or anything that rocks the EMD 2 stroke lump for that matter. I find the sound appealing like no other loco.

Mordac

Established Member
Definitely 66 for me too. Or anything that rocks the EMD 2 stroke lump for that matter. I find the sound appealing like no other loco.

I wouldn't say they're the best, but as I mentioned in the other thread, I do find their Ying Ying sound really soothing.

If HST power cars count, I'd have to include them here as well, but my fave may be the 68s.

Status
Not open for further replies.