• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Sounding Loco - Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E_Reeves

Established Member
Personally, I prefer the class 66 in idle. Lovely sound! I'd love to know other people's thoughts!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For me a Western or a class 37 on a still night. Lovely.

Phil.

Established Member
I suppose that it's a generational thing. For those of us who have clear memories both the seventy two or 24 pistons of a "Deltic "or a "Western" at full power with a fair load is a sound that stirs the whatsits.

Harbornite

Established Member
Class 37. 47s look a bit better but don't sound as good. Paxman 43's, westerns, 68s, 20s and deltics also sound rather fetching, not to mention class 70s.

najaB

Veteran Member
Heard a 68 idling for the first time yesterday - could hear it from the top of the Waverley steps, it sounds menacing!

As for older locos - either a Valenta-powered HST or a Deltic.

Bodiddly

Personally, I prefer the class 66 in idle. Lovely sound! I'd love to know other people's thoughts!

Ying, ying, ying, ying ..............
For me, it has to be a class 37 with it's intermittent growls. Always gets me!

Spamcan81

Diesel - Deltic without any shadow of a doubt.
Steam - Much more difficult to choose but either a V2 or A3 - single chimney versions- in full cry would get my vote.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I was having a joke.

I know you were... I am just in a very good mood today as i got into a delightful tangle with an animal rights protestor today - something for another topic, though.

#

Seeing as how some people are suggesting steam too, and seeing that it does not prevent its inclusion, Thomas The Tank Engine is the best sounding steam engine

D6975

Established Member
Coming up the stairs from KX tube to hear the throbbing of Deltics on the blocks, a sound never to be forgotten.

Welly

Valenta fitted HSTs and Class 50s - ahh! Sounds of happy days of 80s BR!

I quite like the 91s roaring traction motor fans too. I found the random clicking of the tapchangers on idle class 86 locos quite fascinating too.

Westerns sounds pretty good but in my opinion the best sounding diesels are Deltics!

Status
Not open for further replies.