• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demps

I would have to say York station is my favourite for its design (ona bend with a lot of 19th century architecture) but for actual freight it has to be carlisle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AJP

For freight Definatley Barnetby hands down! But design and whatever I like York or Edinburgh :)

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
My favourite is Cwmbran.... just kidding hate that place... Bristol Temple Meads for me

Ben

Huddersfield,

No not because its my Local because of its architecture

Andrew

Jonno2055 said:
Paddington, A Brunel great in my opinion.

I'd go with Paddington designwise for a big station. Some of the Cotswold line stations have a sort of rural charm though (Charlbury springs to mind with it's old style lettering), which you could never achieve at Paddington or Bristol Temple Meads, and you wouldn't want to. They're just completely different - both nice in their different ways.

Ascot

Established Member
Rhosneigr station. THe one place where the burger man is on the platform house and where you can leave ya cam on one side of the platform and go to the other to get your Hotdog or Burger. And also the sound of Hawk T1s and 100s blasting ahead in the Overhead with the odd Seaking ploppin about. Or we can have Valley where a National Speed Limit is directly below a Dead-end Street sign.

Established Member
There is only one station that can be described as good, and thats a closed one. No seriously i think no station tops St PANCRAS as the best.

I love Selby becasue of where it is. Favourites have to be York, Sherburn in Elmet (happy memories...) and Barnetby.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I like Manchester Picc. Not being a regular user, the modern feel due to moving walkways, the easy-to-read PIS, the modern music played (do they still do this?) and the general feel of the station seems good to me.

PeterH

StarCross in Devon is my fav yep its small but i love it there as a nice park right by the main line to sit in and watch the trains great chip shop and a pub across the street what more could i need :D

devon_metro

Established Member
PeterH said:
StarCross in Devon is my fav yep its small but i love it there as a nice park right by the main line to sit in and watch the trains great chip shop and a pub across the street what more could i need :D

And toilets... ;) :lol:

I personally like Topsham :p

PeterH

yep and loos ..never been to topsham station we called topsham topsham on the mud :) but im back down that way again week after next i may pop over there and take a look last holiday in devon was rained out so hoping for blue skyes to get some pics

eezypeazy

Chathill, simply because as far as I'm aware, there's nothing else like it left on the ECML, and you've got to be pretty determined to get to it!!

Chathill.JPG

eezypeazy

H

HR2

For ambience the nicest station I know is Wylam. Peaceful. Right next to the Tyne with a smashing pub not 50 yards away where you can have a quiet drink and watch the world go by as well as the trains. They do eats as well I think

Coxster

Established Member
Not necessarily for traction etc but i quite liked Dawlish Warren station when I stayed in a holiday park just up the road, alongside to the railway (look out for the big flags on the right hand side, just before the station, when heading towards the West Country). The reasons for this are Langstone Rock that you can climb up and have an overhead view of the line, and the sea when you turn around. Also there is (of course) the seawall and the general area is attractive too.

eezypeazy

DistrictLine said:
For ambience the nicest station I know is Wylam. Peaceful. Right next to the Tyne with a smashing pub not 50 yards away where you can have a quiet drink and watch the world go by as well as the trains. They do eats as well I think
Ah! Wylam...

The pub Bob probably means is this one....

boathouse.JPG

The 1838 buildings, as modelled in my Tyne Valley route....
Wylam1.jpg

And to illustrate how close the pub is to the station....
wylam2.jpg

You can happily sit having a pint before your train is due, and not move until you hear the level crossing barriers drop....

eezypeazy

PeterH

Yep Coxster dawlish warren is a good station and the see wall is good nice pub at dawlish warren (how come all my fav stations have pubs near them) and langstone rock but no way am I going up there some of its wired off now must take some pics soon of Exeter St Thomas haven’t stopped of there in years nor St James

Coxster

Established Member
PeterH said:
Yep Coxster dawlish warren is a good station and the see wall is good nice pub at dawlish warren (how come all my fav stations have pubs near them) and langstone rock but no way am I going up there some of its wired off now must take some pics soon of Exeter St Thomas haven’t stopped of there in years nor St James
The bit of Langstone rock that isn't wired off has a steep drop down but is a nice place to be (one you climb up and down it). I'm sure 'DVN' will agree!

devon_metro

Established Member
Coxster said:
The bit of Langstone rock that isn't wired off has a steep drop down but is a nice place to be (one you climb up and down it). I'm sure 'DVN' will agree!

Hehe yep very steep. I did have a venture up, although the lower down shot i got was better, rather than standing on the edge of a cliff!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
James 66526 said:
I love Selby becasue of where it is.

I agree, Selby is one of my favourites. Still has a certain old charm about it -the old station buildings, the proper waiting rooms, personal announcements still given out by the ticket office staff and the traditional station buffet. And, if you're there at the right time, you can get a fair variety of stock - Freight, HST, 222s along with all the usual suspects. I can only imagine what it would have been like when it was on the ECML!

York, Newcastle, Edinburgh Waverley and Huddersfield are some of my other favourites, and despite its poor state as a station, Manors is great for photography.

devon_metro

Established Member
My favourite station is Staverton on the SDR :)

like the semaphores, the atmosphere, the GWR level crossing the 2 signal boxes and the loaction, although its not NR!

Status
Not open for further replies.