• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best time to buy advance fares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCML

Would like to travel on the VT 09:36 from Stafford to Euston and the 22:00 Euston to Stafford on the 3rd July.

2 adults travelling, one with a YP railcard. When is the best time to buy advance fares?

There's some very good prices for those services in weekdays in June, but no advance fares for 03/07 yet, only standard fares.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mullin

There is a page on The Train Line under (I think) 'travel tools' that sends you a email when tickets do go on sale. You enter your name, email, station from, station to and the date of travel.

www.thetrainline.com/ticketalert/

Just when you receive the email, make sure you book with any other site than TTL with their fees.

Optimo

Both these sites show different dates.

e.g. for Virgin the booking-horizons shows you can book up to '21st of June' (and was last updated on 23rd March). TheTrainLine site shows '24th June' - assume they updated there's more frequently than 'every couple of weeks' as the NRE appear to.

Getting accurate info on Advance fares does seem impossible for the average customer. I guess we just have to keep checking again and again in the hope of hitting the day they update their info.

[Other threads say AP fares become available between 10-12 weeks in advance, but the current bookinghorizons page suggests I could have bought tickets on the 23rd March for dates 12weeks+5 days in advance on Virgin. Pretty inconsistent.]

Status
Not open for further replies.