• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best TOC to work for (Guard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahj

Established Member
You have to be careful thinking about it playing trains. I like trains, but on some days I get home and dont want to see another train again. Its odd in that you get a free pass, but on your day off the last thing you want to do is get on a train.

As for 12 car 377's. Yes they can be hard work, but you mainly get them only in the rush. And you get a sort of bizarre satisfaction of managing to check all tickets on all 12 coaches between Croydon and Haywards Heath where many split.

I sign 377's, 442's and 313's. Each one has pluses and minus points.

And remember, while we were just seen as commuter runs, some of the runs are longer than a WCML/ECML service. London to Southampton via Gatwick is 2 3/4 hours, and if your lucky you will get a 10-12 min turn around at Southampton before your off again. Though mostly you will do runs of 2 hours, eg Gatwick to Southampton, then back to Horsham. For us in Brighton the longest/worst is what we call the triangle route. Brighton to Ore to Victoria to Barnham/Southampton back to Brighton. Today my run was Brighton to Southampton to Horsham, 30 min break, to Southampton to Barnham and then back to Brighton. and it was not until I got home at 13.40 after starting work at 05.00 that I realised I'd not been to the lav all day!!!!.:o

Note I wear glasses and contacts. (not at the same time :lol:)

Anyway, you sound like what they are looking for. Just remember, pick the best one for you on where you live. Nothing worse than ending a long shift than having to drive an hour or so home. (I live 5 mins drive from Brighton station)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
It's more to do with the risk that the surgery could affect your eyesight later in life (as I understand it). However this rule could change soon, the military (more specifically the Royal Marines) now accept candidates who have had laser eye surgery when it's been previously banned.
Same with the Fire Service, too. You never used to be able to join if you had glasses but now glasses are okay as long as you meet the eyesight standard, and laser eye surgery is okay as long as it's been over a year since the surgery.

Not quite sure how they'd enforce a 'no laser eye surgery' rule because you'd obviously pass a standard eye test...I guess the downside being if you had an issue with your sight later on in life with the company, you'd find yourself out of a job, rather than re-deployed or pensioned off if your eyes met the standard without surgery when you joined up.

MrGray

All sounds pretty tiring but good. Long shifts don't really bother me as some of the things I've done for work have had me up 22 hours making sure an 18 year old doesn't get stabbed.

So the shift pattern doesn't worry me nor the long journeys on trains here and there etc.

The best thing about shifts too is the fact they're pretty predicable (subject to equipment failures etc obviously)

You must have a very strong bladder! Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.