• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best towns in Britain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bse35

Small towns/villages that I love:

Burnham Market
Burnham Thorpe
Brancaster Staithe
Wells-Next-The-Sea
Blakeney
Stiffkey
Morston
Titchwell

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Best towns/cities in Britain in my opinion:

- Bristol; lovely city, nice people, modern and cosmopolitan, but with plenty of history
- London; most people are friendly and polite, plenty to do, great public transport
- Milton Keynes; a place actually designed for people to live and work in, well connected
- Reading; good location, lots of things to do, good shops

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
West Glasgow (never stray o'er East!), parts of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Newcastle-under-Lyme (Staffs), Edinburgh, West Lancs villages, Macclesfield, Stafford, Bristol, Portsmouth, Lots of Norfolk and Lowestoft are all places I would happily live in.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Oh yes. I love Norwich as well but don't think I could live there as it's not very well connected transport-wise.

william

Established Member
'd say that depends on whether youve got a long boat or not!:p

LE Greys

Established Member
Aldborough, and not just because it's got the best fish and chip shop in the world. I just wish it still had a railway.

David

Established Member
As a couple of people have said, Inverness

Another place I like in Scotland is Blairgowrie (about 10-15 miles north of Perth). I'll be there for a week in May, so Scotsman, if you fancy a pint or 6 in 1 of the local bars, you know where to find me for a few days :lol:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Pitlochry looks very pleasant as you pass through but I've never got off the train to find out!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Birmingham
Wolverhampton
Stafford
Leicester
Shrewsbury
Great Malvern
York
Carlisle
Newcastle
Durham
Edinburgh
Stirling
Cheltenham Spa
Nottingham
Lincoln
Conwy
Leamington Spa
Banbury
Warwick
Stratford upon Avon

sprinterguy

Established Member
Birmingham? Wolverhampton? What?!
Yep, I live in Birmingham, it’s fantastic. An absolutely wonderful city after you’ve been brought up in Sunderland. I can speak from a balanced perspective of having seen the majority of the West Midlands suburbs and districts, and admittedly, there’s a couple of residential areas I’d rather skirt around and give a bit of a wide berth, but that’s the same for just about any other urban area of Britain.

Wolverhampton is a canny place: It’s managed to stay largely independent of Birmingham and avoided losing its’ individuality to a “Greater Birmingham” that many west Midlands districts have already surrendered to, it has a decent Wetherspoons near the station (A small part of my judgement of most towns is based around the quality of their Wetherspoons), some of my favourite gig venues in the country that pull in the types of European big names in power metal and the like that I could only yearn after from afar when living in the north east, a rock bar, and a light rail system on the peripheral of the city centre. Great stuff.

It also helps that despite there only being fifteen miles separating Birmingham and Wolves, a very similar distance to the distance between Sunderland to Newcastle, you can catch a Pendolino between the two and enjoy twenty minutes of real first class luxury whilst imbibing wine on board. That’s awesome that is: The best we ever had between Sunderland and Newcastle within my lifetime was the tiny first class compartment on the Transpennine 158s introduced in 1992.

I’m not fond of Dudley though…

route101

Established Member
Edinburgh in the summer is great and setting of the old town is magic. York, St Andrews is always sunny when i go there :lol: Nearby to me Strathaven is nice !

deltic1989

Established Member
Lincoln, Not just because I live there, its just a really nice place to be, the city centre is the historic mixed with the modern and it just goes uite nicely.

I would also have to say, Plymouth and Portsmouth are nice places to be for thier own reasons. Princetown on Dartmoor, because one of the pubs there does an amazing steak.

Great Yarmouth is nice, as is Wroxham.

scotsman

Established Member
As a couple of people have said, Inverness

Another place I like in Scotland is Blairgowrie (about 10-15 miles north of Perth). I'll be there for a week in May, so Scotsman, if you fancy a pint or 6 in 1 of the local bars, you know where to find me for a few days :lol:
I'll be doing exams :| and I have a distinct lack of fake ID....

almark

Not Wakefield.............

Inverness
Oban
Fort William
Edinburgh
Penzance
London (centrally speaking)
Sheringham
Carmarthen
Ely
Scarborough
Harrogate
York
Leeds
Settle
Skipton

devon_metro

Established Member
My lasting memory of Newton Abbot will always be being sat on Newton Road in sweltering heat in Summer and moving at a snail pace :lol:

Zoe

Established Member
My lasting memory of Newton Abbot will always be being sat on Newton Road in sweltering heat in Summer and moving at a snail pace :lol:
There is a train service between Paignton and Newton Abbot but really it should have a better frequency than 1 tph.

devon_metro

Established Member
There is a train service between Paignton and Newton Abbot but really it should have a better frequency than 1 tph.

Indeed, i'm aware. Not really that useful when travelling back from Kingsteignton.

Zamracene749

What is there to love about Newton Abbot?? There is absolutely nothing to do!

You've never found the rather good Cider Bar then!

Best towns for me are those that i've found friendly to strangers although this is more an area thing, have had good nights recently in Cardiff, Edinburgh, York, Barnstaple, Banbury, Huddersfield, Newcastle, Doncaster to name just a few :)

Last edited:

Metroland

Established Member
My top ten would probably be

York
Edinburgh
London
Harrogate
Whitby
Skipton
Oxford
Lincoln
Matlock
Bridgenorth

Lots of other places of note:

Penzance,
St Ives,
Totnes
Dartmouth
Canterbury
Ely
Buxton
Leeds
Cambridge
Brighton
Bristol
Shrewsbury
Chester
Inverness
Manchester, Glasgow and Liverpool (city)

Last edited:

prod_pep

Established Member
London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, Kensington and Chelsea, Havering, parts of Redbridge
York
Truro
Looe
Formby
Southport
Inverness
Helensburgh

Not because they are especially desirable, but great cities: Glasgow, Liverpool (probably biased).

BrummyBoy

Yep, I live in Birmingham, it’s fantastic. An absolutely wonderful city after you’ve been brought up in Sunderland. I can speak from a balanced perspective of having seen the majority of the West Midlands suburbs and districts, and admittedly, there’s a couple of residential areas I’d rather skirt around and give a bit of a wide berth, but that’s the same for just about any other urban area of Britain.
QUOTE]

Agree with you, Birmingham is a nice place, lots to do, fantastic rail links and excellent pubs and chippys.

Status
Not open for further replies.