• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Urban Approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheelnrail

I'm eager to know which stations (terminus or not) or a general location that give good photo ops for trains with a decent skyline or groups of heavy industry as the backdrop. A concrete canyon sort of shot if you will. So far Cardiff Central/Queen St are good, Paddington and Marlylebone as well. I heard the car park near Manchester Oxford Rd is good. Any others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
The footbridge at Brightside, just S of Meadowhall is alright for looking towards Sheffield, with a big city skyline and Forgemasters on the left. You might need a reasonable amount of zoom.

For heavy industry, Cuckoo Lane at Hatfield (S Yorks!) takes you to a view of a working coal mine, complete with headgear. Catch it while you can. Long trek from the station though.

Up the castle at Newcastle?

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Both Anniesland & Kelvindale in the West End of Glasgow have impressive views of the pair of massive gasometers that dominate the area's skyline.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
h1ZKaiDl.jpg

Birmingham Snow Hill might be what you are looking for.

My picture was from a bridge called Northwood Street, where Constitution Hill and Livery Street almost meet. It's a fairly short walk from the Livery Street exit of Snow Hill.

You can probably also get some good shots from the platform at St Paul's Metro (left hand side of my picture) which is just off of Constitution Hill, it's a slightly further walk from Snow Hill because of the nature of the roads outside. Weirdly it's also slightly further from St Paul's Square than Snow Hill is too, again because of the nature of the roads and the relatively new Livery Street exit from Snow Hill station.

Last edited:

RepTCTC

The eastern end of Clapham Junction offers a half decent London skyline, complete with forest of tower cranes. The wide expanse of track, straight in approach, and ludicrously heavy rail traffic makes for some lovely head-on shots with a zoom lens. Any time from midday on offers favorable lighting. The staff are pretty photographer-friendly as well.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Wandsworth Road has a pretty decent view with an industrial looking background...

Attachments

• Wandsworth Road 15th June 2015.jpg
    Wandsworth Road 15th June 2015.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 22
Status
Not open for further replies.