• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best way of changing from westbound Piccadilly to eastbound Jubilee at Green Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfoxcc

As the top says, IIRC i read somewhere ( on here?) that if you follow the signs it takes you on a route march, but if you ignore it and use the escalators it is about half the time and distance

Is this right or am i getting it confused with another station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
Both routes are long, and roughly the same overall effort and time.

A much better change is from Southbound Victoria to Eastbound Jubilee, which is a good possibility from many of the Piccadilly line stations earlier in your journey.

bramling

Veteran Member
As the top says, IIRC i read somewhere ( on here?) that if you follow the signs it takes you on a route march, but if you ignore it and use the escalators it is about half the time and distance

Is this right or am i getting it confused with another station?

Swings and roundabouts really. The signed route is okay if you don't mind a long walk, whilst going via the escalators is okay if one prefers that. In both cases it depends how fast one is prepared to walk, and to what extent others get in the way.

A preferable solution is to find a completely alternative route, if one is available.

Taunton

Established Member
I do this one quite regularly. The "long passage" runs under the entire length of Arlington Street, which is the one down the side of the Ritz Hotel. Remember that Green Park station is a relocation of the surface building for the platforms of what was originally Dover Street station, which was on top of the current Piccadilly Line exit to the Jubilee. At the very south end of Arlington Street there is an emergency exit from the Jubilee end of the long passage and platforms. Open Street Map shows the relative disposition of the platforms quite well.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/51.50692/-0.14187&layers=T

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The only Jubilee/Victoria interchange, of course. Bearing in mind what Taunton says above, it's a classic case of a station outgrowing its size. If it were Paris, they night even give the combined station two names along the line of Chatelet/Les Halles. but I expect TfL and predecessors were mindful of the huge confusion previously surrounding Trafalgar Square, Strand and Charing Cross underground stations and their relevance/proximity to Charing Cross main line.

rebmcr

Established Member
I expect TfL and predecessors were mindful of the huge confusion previously surrounding Trafalgar Square, Strand and Charing Cross underground stations and their relevance/proximity to Charing Cross main line.

Heron Quays
for Canary Wharf Jubilee line

Canary Wharf

West India Quay
for Canary Wharf Elizabeth line

silverfoxcc

Will be coming in from Bracknell to Hatton Cross to get to London City,t(couldnt get an early flight out of Heathrow) ,but go a late EDi-LHR back for a talk by John Cameron in Edinburgh on owning 60009 and other rail related things.
As i will be carrying some kit, i could also do Hatton to Barons Court. District to Victoria then Jubilee/DLR to LCY. not much difference in travelling time and i think the interchange at Vic is easier than Green Park

rebmcr

Established Member
Will be coming in from Bracknell to Hatton Cross to get to London City,t(couldnt get an early flight out of Heathrow) ,but go a late EDi-LHR back for a talk by John Cameron in Edinburgh on owning 60009 and other rail related things.
As i will be carrying some kit, i could also do Hatton to Barons Court. District to Victoria then Jubilee/DLR to LCY. not much difference in travelling time and i think the interchange at Vic is easier than Green Park

I wouldn't make an extra change at Victoria just to avoid the long Green Park corridor, I think it's even a bit more effort once you factor in the 'additional' Vic-Jub change at Green Park! Plus there are far more stairs to negotiate with your kit.

However, your Barons Court change could be the start of an alternate plan — stay on the District until Tower Hill and then it's a walk around the corner to Tower Gateway DLR, with a same-platform change at Shadwell for a Woolwich-bound service.

To compare the two:
GP stairs up & 150m tunnel walk & stairs down; CT escalator up.
BC cross-platform; TH/TG stairs up & 150m outside walk & escalator up; SW same-platform.

It seems there's not much difference! The latter route has the benefit of more air-conditioned stock and more distance above-ground.

Taunton

Established Member
I think for Victoria you mean Westminster. But that's two changes instead of one, and the wait at Barons Court can be several minutes for the next District train, and then again at Earls Court while they change crews and slot in a Wimbledon and then a Circle Line service ahead of you - always seems to happen to me. Westminster requires two escalators down to the Jubilee line (and three returning, as the platforms are at different levels). Green Park does have lifts, and for this change they are right along the route (the opposite if you are exiting).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The only Jubilee/Victoria interchange, of course. Bearing in mind what Taunton says above, it's a classic case of a station outgrowing its size. If it were Paris, they night even give the combined station two names along the line of Chatelet/Les Halles. but I expect TfL and predecessors were mindful of the huge confusion previously surrounding Trafalgar Square, Strand and Charing Cross underground stations and their relevance/proximity to Charing Cross main line.
Did you mean the Jubilee/Victoria interchange or something else? This is probably the shortest of the interchanges on the station and does not involve a long walk via corridors whatsoever; unless you are relying on Step free access in which case it is a long walk.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Did you mean the Jubilee/Victoria interchange or something else? This is probably the shortest of the interchanges on the station and does not involve a long walk via corridors whatsoever; unless you are relying on Step free access in which case it is a long walk.
No, I realise the Jubilee/Vic interchange is not too bad, for those who can use steps anyway. I also know the physical constraints that might prevent further entrances/exits to the station. From the outside, looking at Green Park station you'd assume it was relatively unimportant, serving just the one line. Talk about an iceberg station!

Taunton

Established Member
Actually Green Park has had a lot of money spent on it in recent times. For the 2012 Olympics it was identified as a key central London point to make step free, and a considerable amount (I heard over £100m) was spent installing lifts, as much to give step free connections between the three lines as to the surface. The result does however seem something of a route march for such passengers making for the exit.

There was a further major project to make a new and substantial second exit on the south side of Piccadilly, which has actually impinged into the park itself, and has also given a direct entry into the park. It has though certainly improved things at the old main street entrance over the road, which is nothing more than a set of steps in a corner of the Marks & Spencer shop.

Of course, being done by a modern architect they just had to make the new south side entrance building completely out of sympathy with all the classic buildings around - the nadir being the long metal canopy over the new entrance, which looks like a piece of old tin - although I'm sure it was very expensive.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Maybe you're better off changing onto the District at Barons Court, then staying on until after The City to maybe West Ham and joining the DLR there?

Status
Not open for further replies.