• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Way? Season Ticket Renewal Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choccy21

Hello,

Any advice / thoughts on the following question would be greatly received:

I need to renew my season ticket that covers me from Egham (SWT) to Zones 1-6 on the Underground and was wondering whether there's a cheaper / more efficient way of doing it than what i currently have planned:

Previously, i bought a three-month ticket just before the fare rise at the start of this year so can obviously just renew this for the c. £877 it is - however, i only really need to travel into Zone 1 daily (for work, before 9.30am) and i do have an Oyster card that could be used but that i don't currently utilise. I don't want to buy longer than 3 months as i don't have the cash free to do this.

I also have a 16-25 YP card but not sure that bit of info really helps in this case! Unless you can use it during June / July and before 9.30am?

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
Hello,

Any advice / thoughts on the following question would be greatly received:

I need to renew my season ticket that covers me from Egham (SWT) to Zones 1-6 on the Underground and was wondering whether there's a cheaper / more efficient way of doing it than what i currently have planned:

Previously, i bought a three-month ticket just before the fare rise at the start of this year so can obviously just renew this for the c. £877 it is - however, i only really need to travel into Zone 1 daily (for work, before 9.30am) and i do have an Oyster card that could be used but that i don't currently utilise. I don't want to buy longer than 3 months as i don't have the cash free to do this.

I also have a 16-25 YP card but not sure that bit of info really helps in this case! Unless you can use it during June / July and before 9.30am?

Thank you

You really need to tell the experts on here where you are travelling to/from.

Choccy21

Morning,

It's from Egham to London Waterloo and then into Zone 1 on the Underground (currently bought as one Season Ticket from South West Trains)

island

Veteran Member
Are you travelling five days a week? The difference between Egham to London Terminals and Egham to London Zones 1-6 is £17.10 on a weekly ticket (and proportionately for longer tickets). And is your return journey on the tube in the evening peak?

Brucey

Three months:
Egham - London Terminals £679.70
Egham - Zones 1-6 £876.70

An Oyster single in Zone 1, with railcard is:
0630 to 0930 and 1600 to 1900 weekdays: £2.00
All other times: £1.30

You will need to work out how many tube journeys you make and whether it would be cheaper to pay the relevant Oyster singles.

MarkyMarkD

If both morning and evening tube journeys are in the peak, that's £4 a day or £88 a month (based on 22 working days); so the extra £177 on the season represents 44 working days or around 2 months.

If you are doing the two peak tube journeys each working day, it is therefore worth buying the 1-6 ticket unless you are going to have more than 4 weeks off work (or working elsewhere) in any 3 month period.

If your tube travel was all off-peak, it wouldn't be worth getting the 1-6 season (but it wouldn't cost much more either, unless you were having any holidays during the period).

Choccy21

Hey all,

Thank you for the responses, much appreciated! As the tube travel is also during peak times and each day is a return, it does seem that the 3 month Egham-Z1-6 is the most cost-effective way.

I'll then be sure to use my YP card in July!

Thanks again for the feedback

island

Veteran Member
Have you looked at buying odd-period seasons so you don't end up paying for weekends or periods of leave? You can get a season for 1 month and 9 days as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.