• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best way to buy several travelcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiyero

I am taking my Beaver Scouts to London (parking the minbus at Morden). Now they are all free on the underground, we will also have 7 adults and one older child. I am thinking use my Gold card for 4 adults and another leader's Friends and family railcard for the other 3 adults and the older child. Is this something I can do in advance? I am up the week before or could use a South West Trains ticket office (outside London) at any time.
Alternativly is there a better way of doing it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
You should be able to order them online which is probably the simplest way.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
This is where a little bit of lateral thinking can help...Chiltern Railways offer a "Small Group" discount which is functionally equivalent to the "old" GroupSave, where you can get four tickets for the price of two, and accompanying Children for £1.00.

Utilising the two Railcards you'd be looking at £7.90 per Adult and £2.30 Child, for a total of £57.60.

Use Chiltern's "Small Group" discount (which doesn't appear to be available online, unfortunately) to buy a Travelcard from Denham (first station on Chiltern outside the Travelcard Area) for 4 of the Adults and the Child, and the Adults pay £6.85 each, with the remaining three paying £7.90 each using the Gold Card or GroupSave, and the Child pays £1.00, making a total of £52.10.

EDIT: The relevant discount codes that staff would need to enter are GU4 (Small Group 4), GU3 (Small Group 3) and GUC (Small Group Child).

Last edited:

dzug2

But wouldn't you need to visit Denham to buy them? Or would another Chiltern ticket office do? Marylebone?

Would SWT be able to sell them?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
But wouldn't you need to visit Denham to buy them? Or would another Chiltern ticket office do? Marylebone?

Would SWT be able to sell them?

Any ticket office should be able to sell just about any ticket (for instance some tickets should only be sold on specific stock so if they don't have they shouldn't, technically, sell it but I've seen it done) so it shouldn't matter where the OP goes to get their tickets. This includes selling tickets from an origin other than where you actually are.

Obviously, however, an SWT ticket office is unlikely to be familiar with a Chiltern offer but that shouldn't prevent them from selling it if they're willing to do a bit of hunting around on their issuing system.

Fiyero

Thanks for the tips so far. If I order online for collection from a machine is there a way to just order a travelcard or is it OK to put Rayes Park to Waterloo (for example) and select travelcard as the ticket type - even though we aren't going to Raynes Park?

Last edited:

greatkingrat

Established Member
Yes, just pick any station in the zones as your origin, it doesn't matter which one.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Although pick a random station such as Sudbury & Harrow Road or South Greenford will confuse the ORR for usage details ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.