• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best way to get from Brentford to Liverpool Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Evening all,

I need to get from Brentford to Liverpool Street tomorrow morning. I'm just trying to work out the options.

The most simplest appears to be the 65 bus to Ealing Broadway and then the Central Line to Liverpool Street, but in all honesty I really don't fancy battling the Central Line at rush hour in this heat!

My other thought process was:

1) Brentford to Waterloo, then the 26 bus to Liverpool Street

2) Brentford to Vauxhall, then Victoria Line to Kings Cross and then the Circle/H&C/Met to Liverpool Street

3) Brentford to Clapham Junction, Overground to Shoreditch High Street and walk to Liverpool Street.

4) H91 to Hammersmith, District Line to Aldgate and then over to Liverpool Street (a lot longer admittedly, but S7 stock has air con and wider aisles!).

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I think your option 2) is the easiest really.

You could try Brentford to Waterloo, Waterloo East to London Bridge, walk to Liverpool Street?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Brentford-Waterloo, then Jubilee line to Stratford and TfL to Liverpool Street is a long way round but a possibility.

If you're going to Hammersmith on the bus, then surely your best bet is to go to the H&C station and join a S7 straight through from there?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Thanks both, I went with option 2, wasn't too bad actually.

I would have walked from London Bridge to Liverpool Street, however I had luggage so that was out of the equation, but if I was travelling light I would have considered it!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
About 3 days too late, but a modified plan 2 (Brentford, Vauxhall, Tottenham Hale, Liverpool Street) would have been my preference...

boiledbeans2

*bump*

I will be making a Waterloo to Liverpool Street connection on a weekday, arriving at Waterloo at about 9.30am. I will have one heavy luggage and I can probably manage short stairs. What is the best and/or fastest way for this connection?

I was thinking W&C then Central Line: at Waterloo, go down the Bakerloo/Northern line entrance with the escalators. Once in the concourse, walk across to the W&C platforms. If I recall, there is a long ramp down to the plaftorms. But at Bank, I'm not too familiar with the connection between the W&C and the Central Line.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
*bump*

I will be making a Waterloo to Liverpool Street connection on a weekday, arriving at Waterloo at about 9.30am. I will have one heavy luggage and I can probably manage short stairs. What is the best and/or fastest way for this connection?

I was thinking W&C then Central Line: at Waterloo, go down the Bakerloo/Northern line entrance with the escalators. Once in the concourse, walk across to the W&C platforms. If I recall, there is a long ramp down to the plaftorms. But at Bank, I'm not too familiar with the connection between the W&C and the Central Line.

Is Liverpool Street the final destination or are you taking a train from there?

If you are taking on an onward train, then depending on the onward destination, such is if you are connecting into the Great Eastern lines, Waterloo to Stratford might be easier?

boiledbeans2

Is Liverpool Street the final destination or are you taking a train from there?

If you are taking on an onward train, then depending on the onward destination, such is if you are connecting into the Great Eastern lines, Waterloo to Stratford might be easier?
Thanks for your quick reply!

I will be going on the West Anglia Main Line, in the direction of Cambridge (would like to avoid mentioning the final destination).

I will be on a fast train to Waterloo. So some journey planners suggest Clapham Junction - Vauxhall - Tottenham Hale, avoiding Waterloo and Liverpool Street. But I think that would involve multiple changes as well, going up and down stairs.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

I will be going on the West Anglia Main Line, in the direction of Cambridge (would like to avoid mentioning the final destination).

I will be on a fast train to Waterloo. So some journey planners suggest Clapham Junction - Vauxhall - Tottenham Hale, avoiding Waterloo and Liverpool Street. But I think that would involve multiple changes as well, going up and down stairs.

I am pretty sure Clapham Junction has lifts available, I'm sure @Kite159 will know better than me. Vauxhall mainline station, I don't remember ever seeing or looking for lifts, LU's station there is probably accessible by lifts (just across the road from the mainline station, so an easy walk to the entrance) but I never really look for lifts on LU so I don't know for sure. Tottenham Hale I am certain you will have no issues at. The Victoria line is definitely a much more pleasant way to cross London on the journey you're making than the faffing around at Waterloo and Liverpool Street.

I would recommend checking for the presence of lifts at Vauxhall. If your train is non-stop through Vauxhall, it may well be faster to change at Waterloo anyway. I don't use Waterloo anywhere near often enough to comment on it, I have a feeling the first bit from the concourse to the LU bit is down a short escalator, after that I think you will have no more steps but it has been a long time since I last used the Waterloo & City line.

Bank, I don't recall how easy it is to change to the Central line by means of avoiding stairs, but I recently tried to change from the DLR to the Central line (which featured a boatload of stairs up the middle of the escalators) but I ended up on the District line. I didn't enjoy that change, and I wouldn't be in a rush to recommend it.

davews

Bank W&C to Central is a long walk, some steps and lots of escalators - and note that the W&C doesn't run after 10am if you get late to Waterloo. If you can do Jubilee to West Ham or Stratford it may be easier but there are long escalators on the Jubilee, not sure about lifts. Some of the lifts at Clapham Junction have been out of service in recent days.

Veteran Member
Another possibility if you prefer escalators to lifts is:
Waterloo (Bakerloo) - Oxford Circus (Victoria) - Seven Sisters/Tottenham Hale.
Oxford Circus is cross-platform, Waterloo has a short flight of steps to reach the platform (which is on a sharp curve, please note).
However LUL advise that Tottenham Hale tube has (long) escalators but currently no lifts - if this could cause you a problem (escalator failure?) you might need to stick with LST and long walks :(
A further possibility, if it works with your bag, is the 26 bus from York Road stop F towards Hackney Wick; this stops on the Bishopsgate side of LST, though, which is slightly inconvenient for the Cambridge line...

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I am pretty sure Clapham Junction has lifts available, I'm sure @Kite159 will know better than me. Vauxhall mainline station, I don't remember ever seeing or looking for lifts, LU's station there is probably accessible by lifts (just across the road from the mainline station, so an easy walk to the entrance) but I never really look for lifts on LU so I don't know for sure. Tottenham Hale I am certain you will have no issues at. The Victoria line is definitely a much more pleasant way to cross London on the journey you're making than the faffing around at Waterloo and Liverpool Street.

I would recommend checking for the presence of lifts at Vauxhall. If your train is non-stop through Vauxhall, it may well be faster to change at Waterloo anyway. I don't use Waterloo anywhere near often enough to comment on it, I have a feeling the first bit from the concourse to the LU bit is down a short escalator, after that I think you will have no more steps but it has been a long time since I last used the Waterloo & City line.

Bank, I don't recall how easy it is to change to the Central line by means of avoiding stairs, but I recently tried to change from the DLR to the Central line (which featured a boatload of stairs up the middle of the escalators) but I ended up on the District line. I didn't enjoy that change, and I wouldn't be in a rush to recommend it.

Not to sure on lifts at Vauxhall mainline. The underground station I'm 99% certain has lifts available.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Both the National Rail station and Undergroud stations at Vauxhall have lifts.

boiledbeans2

Thanks for all your replies!
I think I'll stick with Waterloo to Liverpool St for now via W&C and Central. If Bank has some steps and long walks from W&C to Central, I think I can handle it. Escalators would be fine for my bag (unless it has failed!)

The reason I'm sticking with Liverpool St is that if I am early, I can get to the platform/on the train early and take some photos, and get a good seat. If I board at Tottenham Hale, then there's not much chance of photos and it will be a hurry boarding the train.

Wolfie

Established Member

There are lifts at both Clapham Junction and Vauxhall (mainline and tube). Given that Bank is in the midst of a major rebuild and rather resembles an ever-changing building site l would currently never suggest anyone changing there.

Wolfie

Established Member

Clapham Junction has lifts. Vauxhall has lifts. Tottenham Hale has escalators on the Victoria line and I'm pretty sure that you exit directly onto the correct platform for services heading out of London without stairs.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
There are lifts at both Clapham Junction and Vauxhall (mainline and tube). Given that Bank is in the midst of a major rebuild and rather resembles an ever-changing building site l would currently never suggest anyone changing there.

I certainly didn't know that the other week, but yes indeed changing at Bank has never been fun.

I wonder how the OP got on, and if it was indeed today they travelled I hope they didn't get bowled out by the issues on the WAML.

boiledbeans2

I certainly didn't know that the other week, but yes indeed changing at Bank has never been fun.

I wonder how the OP got on, and if it was indeed today they travelled I hope they didn't get bowled out by the issues on the WAML.
If I'm the new 'OP' :lol:, I haven't made the journey yet, but plan to do so on Wednesday. What happened today on the WAML? I can't be late on Wednesday.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
. If I board at Tottenham Hale, then there's not much chance of photos and it will be a hurry boarding the train.
As it's quicker that way, you will quite possibly find yourself able to make an earlier train, or have plenty of time to await your train.

Perhaps you refer to the dwell time at the station, but if so, I can't see it being shorter than the Underground.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If I'm the new 'OP' :lol:, I haven't made the journey yet, but plan to do so on Wednesday. What happened today on the WAML? I can't be late on Wednesday.

Sorry I was rushing my post, it had been a mighty long day yesterday. 5 hours sleep going into what turned into something like 17 hours of being awake, travelling and some significant amount of exercise was a challenge!

Fingers crossed you will be OK, today it was a farce with overhead line damage at Waterbeach and this afternoon overhead line damage between Cambridge and Royston was making a right mess of the railway.

So here's hoping you will be fine, and I would echo yorkie's advice of allowing extra time if the journey is of significant importance. Better to be safe than sorry!

boiledbeans2

Thanks for the tip. I was looking at RTT for departures from Liverpool Street on 11 October, 9 to 10am. Yeah, delays of up to an hour and cancellations on the West Anglia Line.

I shall leave 1h earlier just to be sure.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for the tip. I was looking at RTT for departures from Liverpool Street on 11 October, 9 to 10am. Yeah, delays of up to an hour and cancellations on the West Anglia Line.

I shall leave 1h earlier just to be sure.

I would, as at least it also allows for random issues moving your bag around, and you'll have time to take photos, grab a cuppa and just generally enjoy the atmosphere at Liverpool Street if nothing else.

Talking of cuppas, if you have one take your own travel mug/other refillable hot beverage holder with you. Pret for example take 50p off the price of a hot drink when you use one, Soho Coffee take off 25p as do Starbucks. It's money better off in your pocket/bank account!

Enjoy the journey, and whatever the reason for the journey I hope all goes well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.