• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best way to view numbers on high speed trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1taro

I'm finding it difficult to see the numbers on trains moving at high speeds and was wondering what the best way to deal with this is? I was thinking if there was a website or app that would tell me the number of a passing train. I know that Realtime Trains shows the numbers for certain TOCs but not all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Halish Railway

Established Member
I would recommend enquiring on either the “Urgent TOPS requests” or “Non-urgent TOPS requests” thread. There are recommendations for what thread would be the most applicable for your request.

Chorley Cake

I'm finding it difficult to see the numbers on trains moving at high speeds and was wondering what the best way to deal with this is? I was thinking if there was a website or app that would tell me the number of a passing train. I know that Realtime Trains shows the numbers for certain TOCs but not all.
Try and stand further away. Know where the number is and then follow it with your head as it goes by. If you can’t get the main number try obtaining a carriage number. This approach should work on all but HS1 at top speed.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Video it on your phone then pause it during playback ?

Merthyr Imp

Of course in my young days on Grantham station we could get the number on the smokebox door as the locomotive approached instead of having to try and read it on the cab side as it thundered past.

Status
Not open for further replies.