• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best/worst cup of tea on rail network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakerbloke

I've had tea at many stations/on trains and I had my very worst the other day. I specified white tea from the vending machine on platform 2 at Sheffield. All I will say is I can still taste it. Can anybody recommend tea I should avoid while on rail network - and where to find the best?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
I should think that is 'instant tea'. My dad used to love it, but I inherited three jars from him which I haven't dared touch.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I did this recently via my Twitter!!!!!!!!!!

Best either Yorkshire tea gold on ec or mad hatter tea on gc - the rest are pg tips rubbish

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I did this recently via my Twitter!!!!!!!!!!

Best either Yorkshire tea gold on ec or mad hatter tea on gc - the rest are pg tips rubbish

gotta agree on the Yorkshire on EC. By far the best cup of tea iv ever bought on train is the friends of the S and C's Trolley between LDS and CAR. It was very nice and im sure must have been something other than the usual guff. As to a station, the coffee bar at Ayr is cheep and reasonable, alsn Hebdon Bridge. Worst, predictably perhaps, XC.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
May have been Twinings - Delice de France at Manchester Pic - lovely cuppa.

To me, anyone who sells Yorkshire tea can't be far wrong!!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

XC isn't actually the worst.

Starbucks coffee (not saying they're good) are £2 on XC, £2.20 on EMT (or it might have gone up to £2.30), and only £1.80 on FGW.

A coffee and a bag of sweets for £2.60 on XC isn't actually that bad.

Going back on topic, I do love my cuppa on GC.

Clip

Established Member
PG tips on SET and its not very nice really. They serve a nice cuppa at Faversham though.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
I think the Starbucks instant offer on-board is not good. Too weak and doesn't do their brand name for good drinks any favours at all.

If XC had stuck a Starbucks franchise into the shops that Virgin left behind then they may have been on a winner.

#Note to next XC franchisee - bring back the shop and sub contract the offer to Costa/Nero/ Starbucks/ ANOther....

Temple Meads

Established Member
Not tea of course, but I had a hot chocolate in the Pumpkin at Exeter St Dacvids last week, and it was rancid!

Welshman

Established Member
Mrs Welshman and I like Earl Grey tea, and on one occasion a few weeks back, we asked the lady with the trolley on ATW if she had any, fully expecting the answer "No" Surprisingly, she replied she had one EG teabag left, as they were trialling it. Naturally, Mrs W. drank it, and later emailed ATW, thanking them for the tea.

The next time I travelled with ATW, I was offered Earl Grey as an option, and it was very nice too. So we like to think we've done our bit to shape ATW policy! Now, if we could only get them to carry skimmed milk and a nice bone china cup and saucer........

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
thats good to hear Paul. Not rail but must mention the diner at Inverness Bus Station - fabby buppa

Yes, the diner/cafe at Inverness Bus Station is a wonderful place!

Mrs Welshman and I like Earl Grey tea, and on one occasion a few weeks back, we asked the lady with the trolley on ATW if she had any, fully expecting the answer "No" Surprisingly, she replied she had one EG teabag left, as they were trialling it. Naturally, Mrs W. drank it, and later emailed ATW, thanking them for the tea.

The next time I travelled with ATW, I was offered Earl Grey as an option, and it was very nice too. So we like to think we've done our bit to shape ATW policy! Now, if we could only get them to carry skimmed milk and a nice bone china cup and saucer........

I find the usual ATW tea offering to be very poor. I'm very intereste din trying the Earl Grey, and I hope it is available tomorrow, for my next longer distance journey!

Pacerpilot

Best cup of tea on the Railway? Mine! Twinings Everyday bags, enamel cup and brewed for at least 4 minutes.
Best served at the small end of a 153

IMAG1160-1.jpg

Failed Unit

Established Member
To me have not found tea undrinkable either from the trolley or the buffet - just wish more offered de-caff tea.

the water does have a big impact, I do prefer soft water myself.

On East Coast it is often better from the buffet / trolley as you are in control of how much brewing time you give it to compared to the complimentary offer in first class.

The worse is anything that comes from a vending machine! In the Edinburgh lounge it use to be made freshly and now it is a machine. Dreadful - so just buy it on the station instead!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think I've ever had tea anywher eon the railway that I would describe as undrinkable. Poor, or not very nice, yes, but always drinkable!

It can be down to the way the tea is made as well. I can go to the same cafe in town and have a blinding cuppa one day and a so-so one the next!

Tracky

Ive not been for a while but there used to be a bloke just as you came in to Carlisle Station servinbg from the back of a little trailer thing. I found his tea and coffee very nice and reasonably priced...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
there is no competition. Yorkshire Tea Gold is the finest tea widely available in this country. Proper Tea.

Station buffett tea is always hit and miss.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't think I've ever had tea anywher eon the railway that I would describe as undrinkable. Poor, or not very nice, yes, but always drinkable!

It can be down to the way the tea is made as well. I can go to the same cafe in town and have a blinding cuppa one day and a so-so one the next!

exactly - i will always drink it over that horrible American plastic coffee you get in one of those pods

Established Member
They do a really good drink of tea in the recently refurbished refreshments area on Bolton station, which I am led to believe is run by an independent company, staffed by very efficient middle-aged ladies.

I was in that place before the refurbishment and it was great - cup of freshly brewed tea, made from the leaves and not a bag. Was quite strong and not weak like some of the other places you go to.

I find that a lot of the independently-run cafes serve decent tea and coffee for a reasonable price. It might only be Nescafe or whatever, but at least the price matches the quality. It is when you get charged £2-3 for a cup of terrible coffee from some of the big branded companies that really annoys me.

SS4

Established Member
I prefer tea from fluorinated water. London water (whether hard or soft) is virtually unpotable. That being said VT 1st class lounges do a good cuppa.

Established Member
I was suprised to see that EC were doing Yorkshire Gold on the trolley - would be better if they did it in 1st class as well, as the tea there is alright but not great.

Anyone have any strong loyalties towards which tea brand they usually drink? Mine are Yorkshire Tea, Ringtons and Pumphreys. Stopped drinking Twinings when they closed their factory in the UK and shipped the jobs off to Poland.

SS4

Established Member
I was suprised to see that EC were doing Yorkshire Gold on the trolley - would be better if they did it in 1st class as well, as the tea there is alright but not great.

Anyone have any strong loyalties towards which tea brand they usually drink? Mine are Yorkshire Tea, Ringtons and Pumphreys. Stopped drinking Twinings when they closed their factory in the UK and shipped the jobs off to Poland.

I drink Yorkshire Tea because it tastes nice and by being two cup strength I can use my soup cup (literally has soup written on it)

DarloRich

Veteran Member

I thought they did Yorkshire Gold in FC as well. I am sure the steward told me that. I was supprised when i first saw it and asusmed they had run out and were using FC stocks.

My Gran used to buy Ringtons from a man with a van. That and teacakes and busciuts. Pumphries is nice but is very Newcastle based. I used to buy that form Fenwicks when i lived there

If you are in a hotel and they have Twinings then you know you are in decent hotel. PG, Tetleys or Typhoo means a bad hotel.:lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I drink Yorkshire Tea because it tastes nice and by being two cup strength I can use my soup cup (literally has soup written on it)

that is the reason i take it. One normal mug + one tea bag = super strength and super flavour brew!

Established Member
We still get the Ringtons man around in his van, but you can buy some of their tea bags at Morrisons now (or online). Pumphreys is good for coffee as well, and about the same price as the stuff in the supermarket (which always seems expensive, even when on 'special offer').

DarloRich said:
I thought they did Yorkshire Gold in FC as well. I am sure the steward told me that. I was supprised when i first saw it and asusmed they had run out and were using FC stocks.

Don't think it is, it's advertised as some other brand that I've never heard of. It is alright to drink but I would prefer Yorkshire Tea.

Plus, it also depends on how much tea you drink. I can easily go through five cups a day. On one particularly long day when writing a report, I think I had around 15 cups.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Plus, it also depends on how much tea you drink. I can easily go through five cups a day. On one particularly long day when writing a report, I think I had around 15 cups.

I only drink 2-3 cups a day. We only buy tea that is on offer at the supermarket, and I haven't really noticed any great difference in taste between Twinings, Tetley's, PG Tips or Yorkshire Tea!

We do sometimes buy more speciliaty teas. In North Wales we found soem lovely loose elaf tea in some tea rooms in Harlech. I think that is the nicest I have ever had, but it should have been for the price!

The one thing I have noticed is that a brew tastes better in work!

Status
Not open for further replies.