• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Between Milton keynes and leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.

vini_1983

Hi all,

Moving to a new job and has to commute between MKC and Leicester on a daily basis.

Wanted help in deciding:
- should i stay in mkc and travel to leicester daily? whats the cheapest and fastest route
- any other station in between(eg:nuneaton) which has good connectivity to both mkc and leicester

Thanks in advance for all the help :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
The cheapest seems to be £415.50 per month route NOT LONDON.
Does daily mean daily or 5 days per week? Only you can really decided whether or not to move although I don't think Leicester is too expensive

Birmingham has good connections to MKC and Leicester and is valid on maps TV+BP.

MKD

Realise that SHORT-TERM London Midland have their SALE on ... so you can book online (until 7/5) for workdays to 31/5
eg specific Advance singles MKC to Nuneaton (hourly, including the morning "commute" hours)
at £3.50 up and £2.75 back.
+ £13 anytime day return Nuneaton - Leicester (half-hourly, as no "commute" hour cheapies)

ie potential for sub £20 versus the £32 regular Off Peak Return [SVR 2T: Valid from 0415].

Maybe something to try anyway to see how you take to the journey - ie before committing to a month of it or being driven to National Coaches (won't get you there before 10am) or ???

I think Nuneaton is the obvious/shortest/simplest link, though IF a ticket (eg monthly) allows routes via Birmingham that gives you extra flexibility for evenings out (and weekend trips).

MKD

Last edited by a moderator:

sonic2009

Established Member
For a cheaper option purchase a Bedford - Coventry route NOT LONDON season at £400.60.

Valid routes between Bedford (BDM) & Coventry (COV)

Routeing Guide

1. Direct trains are always valid (there are none at present).

2. Shortest route or up to 3 miles longer :

63mi 76ch

Bedford, Bletchley, Milton Keynes Central, Rugby, Coventry.

3. Mapped routes :

Bedford - Coventry : London (not applicable with your ticket being route not via London)

EM : Bedford - Leicester - Nuneaton - Coventry
TV : Bedford - Bletchley - Milton Keynes - Northampton - Rugby (or you can avoid Northampton) - Coventry
TV + TL : Same above routes.

Your ticket will be valid between Milton Keynes and Leicester.

pitdiver

Dare I suggest, coach from Mk Coachway to leicester journey time about 1hr. However you have the M1 to contend with. I knew a couple of people who used that method.

vini_1983

Thanks all

Have almost zeroed down on shifting to milton keynes for short term. Will travel to Leicester daily using the nuneaton route until something good comes up. Know its a pain but dont want to lose this opp..

Will be actually travelling to narborough and not exactly leicester - so I assume the suggestion by sonic2009 of taking bedford-coventry season ticket(instead of MKC-leicester) will cover my daily chores?

Thanks again

muug1982

I'm sure you've checked your timings already and obviously don't have all the details of your timings, but the connection between the London Midland northbound and the XC to Narborough at Nuneaton is quite tight at only 5 mins. I think the London Midland arrives on platform 2 and the XC departs from 7...

5 mins is a valid connection, but be aware that the Stansted services DO NOT call at Narborough, with the exception of one morning service (7:52 from Nuneaton) So if your inbound is delayed, you'll have an hour to wait. I'm not sure if there are any other options (i.e. bus)

34D

Established Member
Having done my fair share of long distance commutes, I'd say that if your personal/family life will allow, then relocate is definitely a better option. 2-3 hours travelling a day will soon take its toll.

Status
Not open for further replies.