• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BHM-EUS weekend upgrade for NUN-EUS ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKB

It irks me that Virgin charge only £10 for a weekend first upgrade from Euston to stations to Wolverhampton (128 miles), but £15 to Trent Valley stations such as Nuneaton (97 miles).

Normally, a weekend upgrade is issued for the same origin/destination as the ticket, but I've had weekend upgrades for just a portion of the journey in the past. (E.g. I've had a ticket from Nuneaton to Bradford and got an upgrade from Leicester to Leeds.)

A NUN-EUS off-peak return (any permitted) is valid via Birmingham. It would therefore be ok to buy a BHM-EUS upgrade and use this when travelling NUN-BHM-EUS. However, could that same upgrade be used when travelling on direct Virgin services between NUN and EUS? I can't see any rules that would disallow it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
I see where you're coming from, but the upgrade from NUN-EUS is listed in the fares database as £15, and I'm not sure if a TM will take issue with it. Always worth asking anyway.

MKB

I agree there would not be much chance of getting this on the train, but Virgin weekend upgrades can be bought at the station can't they?

Of course, in practice, there's not much of a saving as the £5 each way saved on the upgrade is offset by the base ticket costing £5.60 more round-trip for the any-permitted option.

Unless Virgin retake the WCML franchise and extend the Virgin Traveller scheme, I will be looking for (legitimate) ways of reducing the cost of first-class weekend travel next year, hence my interest!

Status
Not open for further replies.