• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bicycle and cancelled train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

If I am travelling with a bike, with bike reservation, on a train, and either my train is delayed, or cancelled resulting in me not being able to complete my journey, what would a TOC do? Normally they would put you in a taxi but its unlikely a bike could be conveyed this way?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brompton rail

If I am travelling with a bike, with bike reservation, on a train, and either my train is delayed, or cancelled resulting in me not being able to complete my journey, what would a TOC do? Normally they would put you in a taxi but its unlikely a bike could be conveyed this way?

Most bikes should fit into the boot of a car type taxi, albeit with an overhang. London taxis and similar can fit a bike upright into the passenger accommodation. Of course a hatch back car type taxi would be perfect. You might have to pay for the taxi hire though!

hkstudent

Established Member
Most bikes should fit into the boot of a car type taxi, albeit with an overhang. London taxis and similar can fit a bike upright into the passenger accommodation. Of course a hatch back car type taxi would be perfect. You might have to pay for the taxi hire though!
Well, if TOC cancelled a train and provided a taxi service as replacement, the TOC will pay for the taxi fare.
But I think if that's a daytime cancellation. It is more likely a bus will be hired for replacement, which many of them cannot take in bikes (and there's where a tricky point is...)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
RRBs often will take bikes if they're coaches with underfloor lockers. That said, the PSVAR issue is making more of them buses which can't safely transport bikes.

py_megapixel

Established Member
It is more likely a bus will be hired for replacement, which many of them cannot take in bikes (and there's where a tricky point is...)
RRBs often will take bikes if they're coaches with underfloor lockers. That said, the PSVAR issue is making more of them buses which can't safely transport bikes.
Surely if it's a bus with no bike space then it's the same as if you can't get your bike on the train because all the spaces are taken?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Condition 27.3 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel addresses this issue partly:
If the replacement is at short notice and you cannot complete your journey because we are unable to transport your luggage, articles, animals and/or cycles by road vehicle, and you therefore decided not to travel, you will be entitled to claim a refund under Condition 30 for your journey without any administration charge.

But that only addresses what happens if you don't want to travel any more as a result.

If it is still possible for you to make the journey but the TOC simply is simply refusing to arrange suitable alternative transport, despite a train capable of taking bikes being advertised when you bought your ticket, then you would be able to recover the reasonable cost of arranging your own alternative transport from the TOC in question.

telstarbox

Established Member
I had this issue with Great Northern last year. The wires on the Fen Line were down so they arranged RRBs, but couldn't take my bike. I had to stay overnight in Downham Market and they wouldn't cover the hotel.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As you indisputably have a contract to cover carriage if yourself and the bicycle, it would be up to the train company to provide alternative transport.

If I recall correctly, I believe @Philip Brown and @Max once had a taxi from somewhere like Carlisle (?) all the way to Sheffield which had capacity for their bikes due to disruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.