• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bicycle Reservations an Advance Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosscbrown

Howdy All,

I'm thinking about commuting up to Edinburgh once a week from Lockerbie with my bicycle. I've been looking at advance tickets as I won't be returning the same day and I've got a few questions.

1) Are reservations essential for the bike on TPE?
2) The cycle space on the 185s is cab-side of the First Class compartment, near the disabled toilet, is this correct?
3) I understand that with an Advanced ticket I must reserve a seat on the train - are the flip down seats next to the bicycle storage area reservable? Given the high foot traffic in that area (access to the toilet) I'd like to keep an eye on my bike. Would also save on unloading the bike.
4) If I can't reserve the above, would it still be possible to sit in sight of my bike?

My bike is rather valuable so I would like to stay next to it as my insurer will not cover theft of damage while it is on the train owing to the TOCs restriction on securing the cycle to the train. Obviously there are limited opportunities to steal the bike on the Lockerbie > Edinburgh route but on a longer journey with many stops it could be an issue.

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
1. I don't think cycle reservations are mandatory with TPE, but my personal policy is if I have a mandatory reservation, I want my bike to have one too.
2. When I took a bike to Scarborough, I seem to recall the cycle area was in standard class, at the site of three fold-down seats, opposite luggage racks.
3,4. I'd be surprised if you can reserve fold-down seats. When taking my bike with ATW, I've invariably been given a reservation in coach A, whereas my bicycle is in coach C. When travelling off-peak, I tend to disregard the reservation and sit in the same carriage as my bicycle.

One spot of advice that may reassure you: you could use your bike lock to shackle (immobilise) your bicycle. Just be sure you lock it to itself, and not the train (not allowed).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1) Basically, as krus_aragon says. If you cannot afford to miss that train, then effectively 'yes' from your point of view, not theirs. (Although a booking office would throw a wobbler at the suggestion).
2) No, other end of the train.
3) No
4) Yes, but it cannot be guaranteed of course. Go for a seat like 22 or something. http://www.joyce.whitchurch.btinternet.co.uk/class_185.gif

rail-britain

Established Member
commuting up to Edinburgh once a week from Lockerbie with my bicycle
Do you need the bicycle at both ends of the journey
If you only need it to get to/from Lockerbie, then you could use the cycle rack

My bike is rather valuable so I would like to stay next to it as my insurer will not cover theft of damage while it is on the train owing to the TOCs restriction on securing the cycle to the train
That sounds like a poor cover policy, did you actually discuss this with them?
A bicycle out of the property should be covered "all risks", which would include accidental damage and theft
It is the same with laptops (or any other specified property up to certain limits), you can extend cover to include accidental damage and theft

rosscbrown

I seem to recall the cycle area was in standard class, at the site of three fold-down seats, opposite luggage racks.

I I remember now. Coach A is the wheelchair space. Coach C isin't ideal, I usually end up in Coach A by chance or because I'm in First Class.

One spot of advice that may reassure you: you could use your bike lock to shackle (immobilise) your bicycle. Just be sure you lock it to itself, and not the train (not allowed)

My policy covers bikes in transit but seems to talk about "motor vehicles". They've not defined what a "motor vehicle" is but I take it to mean "car or similar" rather than "train".

Still the policy reads:

"Insured items when left unattended in or attached to any motor vehicle including whilst in transit must be attached to the vehicle with approved locks or locked in an enclosed boot that is not accessible by removing any partition or breakage of a window."
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do you need the bicycle at both ends of the journey
If you only need it to get to/from Lockerbie, then you could use the cycle rack

I don't have to but as I'm going up to the City for a few days it would be useful and help me avoid buses and taxis. Every little helps, right?

rail-britain;473332 A bicycle out of the property should be covered "all risks" said:
It is an all risks policy but asks that I take reasonable precautions to guard against loss and/or damage. Reasonable appears to mean "attached to something immovable". As you suggest I will give them a call and sort out the details.

rail-britain

Established Member
It is an all risks policy but asks that I take reasonable precautions to guard against loss and/or damage. Reasonable appears to mean "attached to something immovable". As you suggest I will give them a call and sort out the details
You have taken reasonable precautions up to the point of placing it on the train
Once the train doors are locked, which is quite similar to their restrictions with cars, you can quite safely leave the bike
However, you may need to be with the bike at each station stop (as this type of train does not have a secure storage area)

You also need to make sure you are not dual insured
I encounter this problem with my car insurance and home contents
For example my digital camera is on my home contents for "property outwith the home", which does not need to be specified
However, as soon as I put the digital camera in my car it is no longer covered by my home contents
The car cover only allows me to place it in the boot (not even the glove box)

As above, if the policy does not make it clear what the terms of cover are for a specific item, outline the circumstances and what the terms of cover are for that eventuality
Equally, the NRCOC offers some level of cover for personal possesions whilst on a train, again this may be deemed to be dual insurance
However it does not cover accidental damage (that would be TOC specific) but it does cover theft (again, TOC specific)

Therefore, also contact FPTE to see what level of insurance they provide plus their guidelines for the transportation of bicycles valued at more than £200

rosscbrown

Well that was fun. I made my cycle reservation, huffed and puffed all the way to the station and got on the train. This being the month of the Edinburgh Festivals, the train was absolutely packed so my bike didn't quite make it to the cycle area as it was occupied by people and luggage. Instead my bike was jammed across the door area with people standing all around - as I had to hold the bike I couldn't go enjoy my reserved seat.

So, what are the rules? Can I clear people out of the cycle space to store my bike safely - blocking the exit is far from safe. What if there was an emergency? My bike would probably get scratched as people push past it as they escape the carriage?

Next question is that if the train is that busy and the cycle space is full of people, can I park the bike elsewhere - for example the other doorway in coach C was empty - plenty of room for me. Or how about in the disabled area - much more practical a space when the train is that busy.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Here's an interesting story.

Yesterday some people boarded a XC train with reservations, the official bike rack accommodation was full already and they put the bikes in a suitable alternative location. The guard then said had he been stood near the door where they boarded he would have refused them boarding even though they had reservations! Unfortunately they did not get the name of the guard so I am unable to make further enquires about this individual. I have encouraged them to write in and complain. The guard was off at the next stop.

This is the only problem we have had after several days of cycling and taking bikes on trains. The vast majority of guards have been very good to be fair. Sadly, as in most professions, there are a few 'bad apples'.

scrapy

Established Member
Several of the natonal rail conditions of carriage apply to your questions, some are open to interpretation. Firstly your cycle reservation doesn't actually guarantee your bike will be carried, however if it is not you should receive compensation.

41. Refund of reservation fees
If a seat reservation, sleeper reservation or cycle reservation is not honoured, the Train
Company responsible will refund any reservation fee paid. If the Train Company is unable
to provide alternative equivalent accommodation for you or your cycle, you will be
compensated for the inconvenience. The value of the compensation will be no more than
the price of the full single fare for the journey. If you are unable or have decided not to
travel you will be entitled to claim a refund under Condition 26 for the relevant part of your
journey.
To be eligible to receive this compensation you must make a claim to one of the Train
Companies’ ticket offices within 28 days of completing the relevant journey, stating the
timetabled departure time of the train or trains you used, or intended to use, for the
journey. When you make your claim you must provide a ticket (or other authority to travel)
which was valid for the journey.

The TPE cycle policy is to allow up to 2 cycles per train and this is at the discretion of the conductor. This is what the Conditions of Carriage says:

Any Train Company may (notwithstanding the terms set out in Conditions 46 to 48 and
Appendix B) refuse to accept an item of luggage, an article, an animal or a cycle if, in the
opinion of its staff:
(a) it may cause injury, inconvenience or a nuisance or it may cause damage to
property;
(b) there is not enough room for it;
(c) the loading or unloading may cause delay to trains; or
(d) it is not carried or packaged in a suitable manner.
Any Train Company’s staff may refuse to accept an item of luggage, an article, an animal
or a cycle even if it has been conveyed by train in the past. This Condition applies from the
start of your journey and also if you need to change trains. Other terms, conditions and
restrictions are set out in Appendix B.

I would suggest that if the train is full your cycle is blocking a doorway and passengers would have to push past it then a) it may cause injury or nuisance, and b) there is not enough room. However if other people are in a dedicated cycle space then you have every right to move them out and ask for the conductors assistance if needed so your bike can be stored safely. This would not only protect your bike but also be safer for all passengers.

Also if your train is replaced by road transport for whatever reason, your bike would not be carried and you would presumably be entitled to the compensation above.

As for compensation if someone damages your bike, this is what the conditions of carriage says:-

50. A Train Company’s liabilities
A Train Company will only be liable for any loss or damage to luggage, articles, animals or
cycles in its trains or on its premises if the loss or damage was caused by the negligent
or wilful acts or omissions of its, or a Rail Service Company’s, staff or agents. A Train
Company’s liability in respect of any item will not exceed the value of that item or £1,000,
whichever is the lower.

51. Your responsibilities
You should take care of any item of luggage or article, animal or cycle that you take in
passenger accommodation. You may be liable for any injury, damage, or loss if you do not
take reasonable care.

I would have said you would struggle to get anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.