• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Big boy Steam trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've always had a soft spot for these locomotive, so utterly huge and powerful, so that's this evenings entertainment sorted!

GNER 373

Thanks for the link I shall watch it later but these locos are fascinating would love to just stand next to one to digest just how big a big boy is!

9K43

There is or was a Big Boy at the Dallas Texas state fare.
All the connecting rods had been chopped off. Massive engines.

QJ

According to Trains Magazine there are 8 UP Alco Big Boys still in existance with their locations listed as follows (as at December 2012):-

4004 Holliday Park, Cheyenne, Wyo.
4005 Forney Museum of Transportation, Denver
4006 Museum of Transportation, St. Louis
4012 Steamtown National Historic Site, Scranton, Pa.
4014 Los Angeles County Fairplex, Pomona, Calif.
4017 National Railroad Museum, Green Bay, Wis.
4018 Museum of the American Railroad, Frisco, Texas
4023 Kenefick Park at Lauritzen Gardens, Omaha, Neb.

Sadly none of them are in working order. The nearest in size I have had for haulage is the UP Challenger 4-6-6-4.

I have stood next to 4012 and the Steamtown National Historic site is well worth a visit. During my stay in Scranton I stayed in the hotel converted from the former railroad passenger station. On selected days excursion trains operate from the SNHC hauled by either steam or diesel. Whilst in Syracuse I caught one of these that was hauled by a couple of Canadian steam engines in tandem on the outward journey and by a couple of E8 diesels on the return.

I was lucky enough to have arrived at Scranton by excursion train from Syracuse NY. This excursion had been organised by the National Railroad Historical Society (NRHS). I believe this year the NRHS are orgainisng railfan trips around Alaska for anyone interested in some rare mileage in that part of the world.

Johnuk123

Established Member
A little tip - if you search for 'Big boys' on the net prepare for a few surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.