• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Big fat gypsy weddings

Status
Not open for further replies.

blanco

this is the first time i've had the pleasure/misfortune(depending which way you look at it), of seeing this programme.

do you think the people on this show are for real or have they just been set up in a ridiculous way.

i just can't believe this is how people go about their business.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Badger

I found the original episode quite... disturbing, if it is for real. Maybe it's just culture shock, but I found some of the practices to be worrying (I think it was called "grabbing"? Where to choose their partners they run up behind a girl and force a kiss no matter how hard the girl protests...) Although I don't hold much hope of the show being unbiased and entirely truthful to be honest.

Clip

Established Member
I believe it is real but only from what Ive read about it.

Proper diofferent culture to us though.

Badger

It wasn't exactly just outing him, the whole show seemed to be about him. Surely he'd know that? There were many interviews with him throughout the show. (Unless this is someone else).

blanco

It wasn't exactly just outing him, the whole show seemed to be about him. Surely he'd know that? There were many interviews with him throughout the show. (Unless this is someone else).

it was the lad he was kissing that made the complaint.

Tubeboy

Re the OP, probably a bit of both. Playing up to the camera and highly selective editing. It comes across as a very hard life for the women, completely subservient to the Men. Disturbing seeing very young girls wanting boob jobs and fake tan. Is that because they really want it, or peer/Male pressure. Mind you this is prevalent in wider society and not just gypsy people.

Some of the people featured are the sort of people you would drive miles to avoid. Others come across as genuinely nice people trying to live normally under very trying circumstances.

Of course it goes without saying, that some scenes are filmed and edited and are over the top. It's car crash tv, it's awful, but yet we watch it. They are presented as not being normal [what is normal by the way?] and even to the point of laughing at them, criticising their cultures and traditions [ of course every group has bad as well as good eggs]. But the way the media present the people in the programme as freaks, have we really moved on from the days of laughing at people at Victorian freak shows, simply because they are 'different'?

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member

the show was about "mikey" who had been openly gay and accepted by his parents. the daily star report is about the lad that mikey snogged at gay pride.

Status
Not open for further replies.