• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Big rail tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt_mad

Established Member
Does anywhere or any website still issue the big rail tickets?

I remember in 2002/2003 I had loads of them but I was daft enough to buy from thetrainline.com back then.

As far as I can remember one ticket had three seperate legs on it with a breakdown?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

They are common stock on the continent, and were used in this country really prior to the mass switch to Automatic Ticket Gates.

They are now relatively unusual, although some web-retailers have started doing them again although not sure which ones as I have seen an increase in them.

David Goddard

Established Member
Used to be very useful as the itinierary and seat reservations were all in one place, you did not need a combination of coupons and other paperwork.

dvboy

Established Member
Eurostar ticket collection machines still use the stock.

I think GNER and subsequently NXEC was the main one that did use them.

WestCoast

Established Member
I remember buying tickets from Virgin Trains online before the VHF timetable implementation and the tickets were ELGAR stock (the larger ones referred to).

Eurostar TVMs still issue them when collecting tickets, and Eurostar check-in barriers can process them.

They are used on the continent but mainly for long-distances advances. However, local rail tickets in Belgium (issued by SNCB/NMBS) are printed on this stock, if you buy from a ticket office. Quite interesting for short journeys!

tom1649

I used to buy tickets at Chesterfield station and they'd often issue me with large tickets. I much prefer the smaller ones because they'll fit in my railcard wallet. After the last time I received large tickets I was going to make a point of specifically asking for standard orange ticket stock, but by the time I returned the larger tickets had already become a thing of the past.

ashworth

Established Member
I much prefer the small tickets for day to day use for simple pay on the day fares as they do fit better in a wallet etc.

However, I did prefer the larger tickets for more complicated Advance Purchase tickerts that involved a number of connections. It was good to have all the times listed and seat reservations on the same piece of card. Last Saturday I did a return from Mansfield to Blackpool North using AP tickets changing at Nottingham,Derby, Crewe and Preston on the outward jourtney and Preston, Crewe, Stockport and Nottingham on the return journey. It was an absolute pain having so many different reservation coupons. Also, unless you keep your original print out for the journey you don't get any timings for the unreserved parts of the journey.

I remember getting the large tickets from the old QJump website.

button_boxer

Established Member
The only time I've had ELGAR tickets recently is when buying UK CIV tickets by phone from Eurostar (to connect with an existing Eurostar or DB London-Spezial booking). Had one from Birmingham to Lndon Estar CIV which came with a separate credit-card size "gate pass" for the underground, though I didn't try to use that as it was quicker to walk between Euston and St Pancras.

andrew bell

The only time I've had ELGAR tickets recently is when buying UK CIV tickets by phone from Eurostar (to connect with an existing Eurostar or DB London-Spezial booking). Had one from Birmingham to Lndon Estar CIV which came with a separate credit-card size "gate pass" for the underground, though I didn't try to use that as it was quicker to walk between Euston and St Pancras.

I'm sure you can hop between Euston and St Pancras quicker than getting the tube :D

But I did like the large tickets, especially when on long journeys, it was something you wouldn't been able to mislay

Status
Not open for further replies.