• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Biggest overnight fare increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
There's been some posts recently about unacceptable big increases on bus fares. I was wondering what the biggest overnight change has been.

The biggest one I know about is when High Peak changed the Knutsford to Macclesfield return fare from £3.50 to £4.80, an increase of 37%. They operated the service on a subsided contract for 5 years, which stated the maximum fare they could charge was £3.50 (which they charged for the entire contract duration) but then High Peak registered the service commercially and put up the fare to £4.80 overnight, alongside a reduction in frequency. A few months later they cancelled the service claiming passenger numbers had dropped. :roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There's been some posts recently about unacceptable big increases on bus fares. I was wondering what the biggest overnight change has been.

The biggest one I know about is when High Peak changed the Knutsford to Macclesfield return fare from £3.50 to £4.80, an increase of 37%. They operated the service on a subsided contract for 5 years, which stated the maximum fare they could charge was £3.50 (which they charged for the entire contract duration) but then High Peak registered the service commercially and put up the fare to £4.80 overnight, alongside a reduction in frequency. A few months later they cancelled the service claiming passenger numbers had dropped. :roll:

The £3.50 return fare (subsidised) seemed very reasonable when you consider the distance travelled and £4.80 as a commercial fare was not unrealistic.

ECML180

They operated the service on a subsided contract for 5 years, which stated the maximum fare they could charge was £3.50 (which they charged for the entire contract duration) but then High Peak registered the service commercially and put up the fare to £4.80 overnight, alongside a reduction in frequency. A few months later they cancelled the service claiming passenger numbers had dropped. :roll:

Well to be fair to them if they're no longer receiving a subsidy then their costs will be higher and so they'll need more revenue. Of course whether they should have taken it on commercially is a different question.

pemma

Veteran Member
The £3.50 return fare (subsidised) seemed very reasonable when you consider the distance travelled and £4.80 as a commercial fare was not unrealistic.

Well it's now £5 return (or £4.50 with a Cheshire Travelcard) but punctuality has improved and also a Cheshire Day Ticket for GHA Coaches/Vale Travel is available for £5 meaning you could do a journeys such as Mobberley to Macclesfield, Prestbury to Knutsford or High Legh to Macclesfield for £5 return.

Last edited by a moderator:

dvboy

Established Member
On 2 January, National Express West Midlands' Evening5 ticket (for up to 5 people) has increased from £5 to £7 and is now valid from 7pm rather than 6pm.

I make that a 40% increase in cost and 16% decrease in validity period (given services generally end at midnight).

martinsh

Established Member
At one stage, about 2010, the First Potteries fare on route 101 from Stafford station to my office (Stone Road) went up from £1.10 to £1.60. I make that a 44% increase.

Incidentally the First fare is now £2.00 (or was last time I travelled), but is still cheaper than Arriva ! [ Whereas the fare on route 490 run by Bennetts is £1.00 - but to a stop shorter (my office has moved) ]

WestCoast

Established Member
Blackpool Transport recently "simplified" their fares eliminating the half fare for kids; while adult fares generally went up by 10-20p, some child fares increased from 45p, 50p, 55p and 60p to a flat £1 overnight. That's increases of a whopping 122%, 100%, 81% and 75% respectively. They weren't even quiet about it, posters on the buses said "great news, kids for a quid". :p

Last edited:

cainebj

Established Member
Reays Coaches (Cityhopper) in Cumbria have recently been a culprit too, raising their fares on a huge scale after taking some contract services on commercially that they lost in the recent round of tendering.

http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/news/...over-100-per-cent-ticket-price-hike-1.1095480

In addition to the fares listed in the article, a single Workington to Cockermouth was raised to £7 (£14 return), while the Stagecoach fare is £4.80 return (Dayrider). That particular service is now under council tender again, with previous fare levels restored.

Times & Star said:
BUS USERS TAKEN FOR A RIDE OVER 100 PER CENT TICKET PRICE HIKE?
Last updated at 12:51, Friday, 01 November 2013
Bus passengers in West Cumbria have been left reeling after being hit by huge fare increases.
Passengers using Reays bus services have seen increases of more than 100 per cent in some cases.
Margaret Andrews, 59, of Allonby, was shocked when she got on the bus to Workington last Wednesday and was told that the fare had risen from £4.80 for a return to £5.50 each way, with no option of a return ticket.
She has written to Workington MP Sir Tony Cunningham asking for his help on the issue.
Mrs Andrews said: “I was disappointed and shocked. I knew there was an increase coming because there was a notice on the buses but I didn’t expect it to be that sort of increase. I thought it might be 20p or 30p.”
She used to visit Workington for shopping twice a week but said she would cut that to once a week because of the new fares and walk to Prospect, over an hour away, to get a Stagecoach bus if she could to save money.
Mary Bainbridge, centre co-ordinator at West Cumbria Trades Hall Centre in Workington, said unemployed people using its services had been hit by the price rises.
The centre provides access to support, training, education and employment for unemployed people.
Mrs Bainbridge said one man getting on the bus to travel from Dearham to Maryport last week had been told that his journey back would cost £4 rather than the £1.70 he had paid previously.
She added: “It’s only £3.20 to go on the Stagecoach bus from Maryport to Workington and back.

“If you’re an unemployed person it’s going to take some of your food budget or gas or electricity budget.
“People are going to be stuck and have to either walk it or ask someone for money.”
Sir Tony said several constituents had contacted him about the rises and he would write to Reays asking for an explanation.
He said: “It’s not only been a huge hike in cost, it’s the surprise. To find out when you get on the bus that it’s gone up more than 100 per cent is a shock.
“People deserve an explanation and there should have been a greater warning of substantial price rises.”
A spokesman for Reays said: “The 35, 36, 58 and 60 bus services are now being run entirely on a commercial basis for the first time since 1998. This means the revenue generated solely by passengers’ bus fares must at least cover the drivers’ wages, fuel and vehicle costs to make the routes a viable proposition.
“It is not easy to do this on predominantly rural services like these, which travel long distances through more sparsely populated areas and have fewer passengers to attract, unlike in big cities. With no subsidies any longer, it means these fares had to rise.
“The fares structure has also been simplified, with just single or weekly tickets now available. Minimum fares have been increased because there had only been minimal rises in these for many years while the services were subsidised.
“Fares have been brought into line too with corresponding distances on other services we run in other parts of the county.
“We’re trying to give our regular passengers the best service and best value we possibly can.
“But it comes back to the fact that if you don’t have enough people travelling on your buses throughout the week, you cannot afford to run them with individual fares from as little as 95p, not when they are being run on a commercial basis without any subsidy.”

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Ouch.

Reays had a lot of goodwill in Cumbria, being local and all that. That's all just gone out of the window, I guess.

Did Cumbria CC stop funding the routes, or did Reays just get greedy after losing the tender?

Last edited:
Blackpool Transport recently "simplified" their fares eliminating the half fare for kids; while adult fares generally went up by 10-20p, some child fares increased from 45p, 50p, 55p and 60p to a flat £1 overnight. That's increases of a whopping 122%, 100%, 81% and 75% respectively. They weren't even quiet about it, posters on the buses said "great news, kids for a quid". :p

45p!? I remember the days when a concessionary fare on Stagecoach Manchester was about 35p..

ECML180

Child fares in South Yorkshire used to be 40p flat not too long ago, since then they're increased 10p yearly. They'll be at 80p at the next change(1st April) if memory serves.

Before OAP passes became free my grandparents would take me and my sister into town for just £1.60. These days it would cost the same if we were both still kids!

ISTR that the intention is to bring the child fare up to about £1.20, which when announced is a massive increase if it's a guarantee, even if it is spread at 10p a year.

Statto

Established Member
Child fares in South Yorkshire used to be 40p flat not too long ago, since then they're increased 10p yearly. They'll be at 80p at the next change(1st April) if memory serves.

Before OAP passes became free my grandparents would take me and my sister into town for just £1.60. These days it would cost the same if we were both still kids!

ISTR that the intention is to bring the child fare up to about £1.20, which when announced is a massive increase if it's a guarantee, even if it is spread at 10p a year.

Speaking of South Yorkshire just before D-Reg didn't SYPTE put the fares up 3 times the normal fares not sure if it was permanent or an experiment?

ECML180

Speaking of South Yorkshire just before D-Reg didn't SYPTE put the fares up 3 times the normal fares not sure if it was permanent or an experiment?

I've heard nothing of it, but that is definitely a possibility, SYTPE fares were always low and still are (believed to be lowest outside London for most concessionary/regulated fares). It wouldn't surprise me, but as I wasn't born at the time I reckon I'm not a good authority on it! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.