• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Biggest Platform Gap in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NRE2003

Strange question, I know. But what station would you say has the widest gap?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It is and odd question and I'd imagine impossible to answer unfortunately - multiple stations with multiple platforms some of which are on curves (so gap is larger at certain places) worked by multiple rolling stock, so there's probably not one set answer.

stuu

Established Member
Bank on the Central line is right up there

scrapy

Established Member
Depends as much on the rolling stock used. Accrington (towards Preston) has a big gap from a class 150 with mid carriage doors, yet the gap is much smaller from the end carriage doors of a 158. Towards Burnley this is reversed with virtually no gap from a 150. Dinting (Glossop side) and Cheadle Hulme (platform 3) have huge gaps from a 323.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

furnessvale

Established Member
Stone southbound is in with a chance, especially as it is comparatively reopened.

Trackman

Established Member
Platform 2 at Lewisham must be a contender, you could fit an adult down it.
It’s been in the local newspapers and apparently Network Rail are/were going to do something about it.

LancasterRed

Seconding Dorchester South. Have bad memories there relating to 442s and that gap...

Preston platform 3 could be a contender. Near the back it's less so much a gap more a drop but still one to fall down. I worry about Lancaster platform 3 too, I'm definitely going down that gap one day.

I'll also second Clapham Junction. Sometimes it's more a jump than a step!

Think there's one or two bad ones on the underground networks, if we're counting them.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Clapham junction platform 8, Portsmouth and Southsea and Witley on the down all spring to mind.

Lee_Again

OP, do you mean gap between train and platform as discussed above, or do you mean between platform faces, like at say Farnborough Main?

transmanche

Established Member
Old Street on the Northern City line. There's a curve towards the back end of the southbound platform which was aggravated by the height difference between train and platform on the 313s. Over the years I've seen more than one person fall down in the gap between train and platform.

TheGrew

Earlestown platforms 3, 4 & 5 would be in with a shout. I was on a 195 at platform 4 recently and the gap from step to platform was what I would describe as a 'leap'.

Hophead

Established Member
You beat me to it - I wouldn't be surprised if someone has fallen down that gap!

For Clapham Junction, you can add Platform 16 (in parts). On platform 13, towards the London end, the gap is more vertical.

NRE2003

It’s been in the local newspapers and apparently Network Rail are/were going to do something about it.

Oh without a doubt - I have traveled from Lewisham a few times and literally been frightened to get on the train.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You beat me to it - I wouldn't be surprised if someone has fallen down that gap!

It's at least a foot. I'm amazed it's allowed even under grandfather rights. They should perhaps do with looking at New York Subway style "gap fillers" for it.

I've seen big steps up, but that's the worst step out I've seen, though Bank Central Line is also fairly wide.

70014IronDuke

Established Member

Lewisham came to my mind immediately on seeing this thread (but I forget the platform number).

I don't know if it's the worst, but it's frightening enough. I'm critical of over-concern regarding 'elf n safety' - but it worries me every time I come into Lewisham. I truly worry that sooner or later some one, maybe a pensioner or some kid blithley unaware of the surroundings when listening to music, is going to go straight down it one day.

I presume the gap increased with the advent of the modern, 23m (?) stock?

4COR

Many years ago landed up having to get a slam door service from (at least what is now) Selhurst Platform 3 (Down Fast, was there a Sunday service to E Grinstead from there?) - I seem to remember the step up and across to the train seemed enormous! Mostly the "up" part of the step, but I felt like I could easily disappear between the train and the edge!

K.o.R

I don't know about horizontal distance, but stepping off a 313 Brighton-bound at Barnham station is a huge drop.

Cletus

Established Member
Is it Whaley Bridge Manchester-bound where's there a long and high gap?

Journeyman

Established Member
Platform 1 at Raynes Park is partially on a sharp curve, and the gap is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.