• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Biggest Platform Gap in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimi

St Pancras Eurostar -- the platform to train height is both nuts - and yet some sort of standard..

A dedicated rolling stock and platform situation, in a world where PRM compliance is heavily regulated, and the number of people with difficulties in mobility is growing, or people with luggage to lift.. and yet 18 coaches of train has one ramp area (if I recall)??

Otherwise , a strong contender is Kilgetty,, if there are any locals or Carmarthen crew on this forum they will know this one well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
If you have to use one of the wooden boxes at Dunkeld then you need to move it, or get someone to move it for you. Everyone else has to clamber on and off as best they can. I've heard plenty of stories of people falling onto the track over the years.

If anything the station has become less accessible with the introduction of HSTs on internal Scotrail services. The combination of drop light manual doors, tapered body ends and the extraordinary gap must be terrifying to some people. The platform lighting isn't too hot either, and I've heard of at least one case of someone falling over one of the wooden boxes after they got off a train in the dark.

Last edited:

Ianigsy

I'm surprised Hamilton Square hasn't been mentioned- the Liverpool platform is fairly notorious locally because of the combined curve and can't.

urbophile

Established Member
I'm surprised Hamilton Square hasn't been mentioned- the Liverpool platform is fairly notorious locally because of the combined curve and can't.
How is it going to work with the new trains, which are supposed to have step free access?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Platform 1 at Raynes Park is partially on a sharp curve, and the gap is huge.

Yes and Platform 4 at Raynes Park too. I used to think the Charing Cross bound Platforms at Sittingbourne and Platform D at Waterloo East had bis gaps too and certainly as mentioned Platfrom 17 at Clapham Junction, they used to tell passengers to get off there from the 1st two carriages.

mullinsj08

The country end of platform 2 after the bridge at Leatherhead has a 2ft vertical gap. I have ripped a pair of trousers getting onto the train there!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
In terms of vertical step, I'd nominate Nethertown which essentially requires you to haul yourself onto the train.

Edit- seems its gained a Harrington Hump since my last visit in 2017- although that'll only do you good for a couple of doors!

Ben Bow

Scarborough, platform 3, on the curved part has undoubtedly the largest gap I've seen anywhere when its a 185 in there with the 1/3 2/3 doors. Things have improved with the mk. 5's due to the end door positions.

Localet44

Gillingham (Kent) has a large vertical gap in places on down platform 3.

When a Class 345 arrives at Paddington there is an announcement that the centre doors of the carriage may not open. When the train stops and there is a large gap on the bend the centre doors do not open

plugwash

Established Member
Does entwhistle still have a rediculously low platform? IIRC when I last went there it was barely above ground level and required basically climbing in and out of the train (granted I probablly wasn't an adult at the time).

_toommm_

Established Member
Does entwhistle still have a rediculously low platform? IIRC when I last went there it was barely above ground level and required basically climbing in and out of the train (granted I probablly wasn't an adult at the time).

It's not the biggest gap I've experienced, but it is definitely a step up compared to most platforms. It doesn't help though that it is regularly a 150 or 156 which I've found have a big step up anyway...

CHAPS2034

Mornington Crescent?

You can't just say that without telling us what rules you are playing to.:)

Anyway, I seem to remember flagging down a "donkey" coming rattling down the hill into Newton St Cyres in the twilight one evening after a pint or three in the Beer Engine pub.
https://whatpub.com/pubs/EXE/399/beer-engine-newton-st-cyres

If I recall correctly - it was many years ago and that's my excuse - we had to clamber aboard using the rear door and a box provided by the guard.

CJSwan

The southern ends of the Up (Edinburgh bound) platforms are Aberdour and Burntisland have quite a gap, particularly with 170 doors.

The curve on platforms 1 and 3 at Gourock also results in a considerable gap too.

Parallel

Established Member
Newton St. Cyres has a very steep drop, though part of the platform now has a Harrington hump

Dunrobin Castle in Scotland has quite a step down. There are actually steps on the platform but they don’t line up with the 158 doors.

urbophile

Established Member
Are there many stations still with platforms so low that they need portable wooden steps? And are any of them unstaffed? I thought it was a health and safety no-no. I grew up in Gargrave, North Yorkshire, where there were low platforms and portable steps which lasted several years after the station was de-staffed, but the platforms were raised some years ago.

The Prisoner

Penrith. Platform 1 train is tilted away from the platform - large gap and a jump up to boot.

Platform 2 bit of a jump down with the train tilted towards the platform.

clagmonster

Established Member
Judging by photos found online, New Clee looks to have an enormous vertical gap! :D
The gap at New Clee is such that class 185s are not allowed to stop, hence since their reintroduction to Barton, the first and last Barton trains no longer stop at New Clee.

Grimsby Docks also has a low platform with a large step up which was banned to 185s in their first spell, but they are now allowed to stop despite their being no change to the infrastructure.

For a relatively major station, I've always thought Salford has a big step up to the train.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Are there many stations still with platforms so low that they need portable wooden steps? And are any of them unstaffed? I thought it was a health and safety no-no. I grew up in Gargrave, North Yorkshire, where there were low platforms and portable steps which lasted several years after the station was de-staffed, but the platforms were raised some years ago.

Not sure if any main line stations still have steps, but some of the heritage railway stations do.

Dibuzz

Earlestown platforms 3, 4 & 5 would be in with a shout. I was on a 195 at platform 4 recently and the gap from step to platform was what I would describe as a 'leap'.
An 80 year old woman fell down the gap earlier this year and I have embarrassingly had to be practically lifted off the train on 5.

E100

Dunrobin Castle in Scotland has quite a step down. There are actually steps on the platform but they don’t line up with the 158 doors.

I would 2nd Dunrobin Castle. You can move the steps if needed. Most of the far north line minor stations require a double step whereas Dunrobin Castle had a triple step as you are pretty much at eye level with the floor of the train. You wouldn't have a chance without them as I can often use the handrails to haul myself on without the double step but had to run down the platform. At least it's straight! Compared to Hamilton Square on Merseyrail that's been mentioned it's honestly night and day.

CEN60

I would 2nd Dunrobin Castle. You can move the steps if needed. Most of the far north line minor stations require a double step whereas Dunrobin Castle had a triple step as you are pretty much at eye level with the floor of the train. You wouldn't have a chance without them as I can often use the handrails to haul myself on without the double step but had to run down the platform. At least it's straight! Compared to Hamilton Square on Merseyrail that's been mentioned it's honestly night and day.

Plockton on the Kyle line has a plastic step also - even for an able bodied person its a massive vertical step, Dunkeld has wooden steps on the Dn Platorm also. Other notables in Scotland - Cambuslang Dn Platfrom (cant and curvature related) and Partick (still bad even though they reduced the cant through it)

Buggleskelly

Bristol Temple Meads can be pretty dangerous in places, especially PLatform 3

I had a bit of an experience while getting off a class 150 at this station not long ago, it was one heck of a jump onto the platform. Not sure what platform it was, all I know is that it's situated within the main trainshed.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Preston seems to have some drops, the platforms are insanely low down, particularly when getting off a Pendolino. I remember I was alighting and I fell off, luckily landed on the platform in front of a crowd of displeased travellers.

XC90

Wemyss Bay, platform nearest the sea. Curves to the right and doors open on the left hand side.

option

Upon even further research, Braystones also seems to have a colossal vertical gap, however I believe the station has since been gifted with a "Harrington hump". :)

View attachment 70304

(Not my photo!)

You can see a step on the wikipedia picture

Braystones-station.jpg

& here

126-13251-o.jpg

Looks like just getting onto the platform is a challenge anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.