• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Biggleswade to City Airport - via HS1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stut

Established Member
Sorry for yet another HS1 fare thread...

Am utterly confused by the range of tickets to get me where I'm going. The route from Biggleswade to City Airport via Stratford Int is easily the quickest when the through DLRs are running, but I can't figure out the best way to buy it.

The obvious seems to be to get BIW-SFA single, then Oyster it from there. But that's quite expensive. The East Coast site reckons a single to SRA is valid via HS1, but is that correct? Can I buy a ticket via WWA and claim to use HS1 and DLR as a valid route, breaking my journey at City Airport?

This will be peak times in both directions.

Please help a bemused commuter...

(FWIW I don't have a season ticket, as my travel patterns are irregular...)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Via Stratford Intl is easily quickest?! Not disputing it, but it didn't occur to me as the quickest route!

I take it you are travelling during the peak since Stratford Intl trains only go to Beckton off peak with a service frequency of every 10 minutes, so quite a long wait if you miss one!

stut

Established Member
Yup, travelling in the peak. Speed depends on connections, really, but the other options have a habit of being a bit of a pain with luggage, which tips the balance in the favour of Stratford Int. Effectively, though, arriving at KGX 9-11 puts you closer to the HS1 platforms than the Northern Line!

benk1342

The East Coast site reckons a single to SRA is valid via HS1, but is that correct?

Given that the Biggleswade – Stratford International (route "London Not Underground") fare is set by Southeastern I think it must be valid on HS1.

Also valid per the routing guide---routing points are Hitchin and Stratford London Group, route is London, London to Stratford London Group is valid via map HS.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can I buy a ticket via WWA and claim to use HS1 and DLR as a valid route, breaking my journey at City Airport?

I don't think this would work. The routing points for Woolwich Arsenal are Charleton and Slade Green (both pass fares check). Routes from Hitchin to either of these are via London. But the only permitted routes from London to Charleton/Slade Green are via maps CT and NK. Both require you to go out of London Bridge.

Right? Someone with more routing experience please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

34D

Established Member
Can't add anything to the question, except to observe that your chosen route seems very sensible (esp with luggage) and it is a shame that HS1 isn't properly integrated to the fares system (ditto heathrow express) otherwise these issues would be catered for.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The obvious seems to be to get BIW-SFA single, then Oyster it from there. But that's quite expensive.
The DLR bit is all one zone so only £1.50 peak on Oyster.
The East Coast site reckons a single to SRA is valid via HS1, but is that correct?
Given that you feel the fare is expensive I'd say yes. Plus I agree with other claims above too.
Can I buy a ticket via WWA and claim to use HS1 and DLR as a valid route, breaking my journey at City Airport?
No, that wouldn't be valid unfortunately.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Am I missing something here? The Route +Any Permitted fare to SRA and SFA appear to be exactly the same so you're not really saving anything by buying the SRA fare.

There is no need to buy a Route London Not Underground ticket.

stut

Established Member
Am I missing something here? The Route +Any Permitted fare to SRA and SFA appear to be exactly the same so you're not really saving anything by buying the SRA fare.

There is no need to buy a Route London Not Underground ticket.

I can't see a BIW-SFA +Any Permitted when I search - only Via Hackney Wick and London Not Und. Checked the Biggleswade ticket machines on the way home too, out of idle curiosity. Am I looking in the wrong place.

I know there's not much in it, but I never like paying more than I need to!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I can't see a BIW-SFA +Any Permitted when I search - only Via Hackney Wick and London Not Und. Checked the Biggleswade ticket machines on the way home too, out of idle curiosity. Am I looking in the wrong place.

The +Any Permitted routeing appears in the Manual (where there seems to be three different routeings, including the two you mentioned). It is a possibility that there is some sort of discrepancy.

stut

Established Member
A discrepancy, you say :) Oh well. As the company is paying, I suspect I'll end up stumping up for the full fare, as I'm not exactly going to have time on my side on Monday morning.

Thanks to all for your help and input.

Ivo

Established Member

The +Any Permitted routeing appears in the Manual (where there seems to be three different routeings, including the two you mentioned). It is a possibility that there is some sort of discrepancy.

NFM 11 suggests that the +Any Permitted fare is valid into SRA, but not SFA. The London Not Und fare seems to be the reverse.

benk1342

NFM 11 suggests that the +Any Permitted fare is valid into SRA, but not SFA. The London Not Und fare seems to be the reverse.

Yes, but both Stratford Int'l and Stratford use routing point Stratford London Group, and a permitted route from Hitchin (Biggleswade's relevant routing point) to Stratford London Group is Hitchin to London (King's Cross) via map EE, then London (St Pancras) to Stratford via map HS. So regardless of whether you buy the ticket to Stratford (route +any permitted) or Stratford Int'l (route London Not Und) you can take HS1. So you may as well buy the cheaper one.

Status
Not open for further replies.