• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bighat court conviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Over the last couple of months me and a couple of others from the site have been working with the Met Polices Sapphire Command in court after we raised to their attention the suspicious behaviour of resident member of RailUK member Bighat.

With help from the mods, the following resulted after a court trial (I was in 4 days giving evidence) and would like to thank all involved for the following guilty verdict that resulted due to the work of the mods, and various witnesses and victims: http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/new...spotters_to_lure_boys_to_their_home_1_1404307

Andrew Mower, 67, and Darren Smith, 39, sexually abused four boys aged between 13 and 15 over five years at the home they shared in Tryfan Close, Redbridge.

Snaresbrook Crown Court heard Mower would scour the internet for youngsters interested in trains and would invite them to the house where they were repeatedly raped.

Mower was convicted of 10 counts of causing a child to engage in sexual activity, an attempted rape and three rapes.
As I say thanks to all involved great outcome! :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
I don't really know what to say other than well done to all those involved in securing the conviction!

the sniper

Established Member
Crikey. Hope all involved are okay.

As for the two who have been convicted, I'm sure they'll have a well deserved unpleasant stay in one of Her Majesty's prison's...

All Line Rover

Established Member
I am extremely impressed. It's true that the internet has some (lots of) dodgy parts (the website "Topix" being a good example) but a nice feature of this forum is the regular organised Forum Meets that it holds.

At the same time, people must always be vigilant, and I am saddened (but unsurprised) that the parents of these four boys were unaware of who they were mixing with. A large number of parents appear to take little interest in the actions of their children.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Over the last couple of months me and a couple of others from the site have been working with the Met Polices Sapphire Command in court after we raised to their attention the suspicious behaviour of resident member of RailUK member Bighat.

With help from the mods, the following resulted after a court trial (I was in 4 days giving evidence) and would like to thank all involved for the following guilty verdict that resulted due to the work of the mods, and various witnesses and victims: http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/new...spotters_to_lure_boys_to_their_home_1_1404307

As I say thanks to all involved great outcome! :)

Excellent bit of work, let us know what sentence they get.

I would guess at 15 years plus.

Ivo

Established Member
Wow. Just wow.

I guess that's one advantage of using the official Meets method on here - everything, and everyone, is accountable. If something happens it's much easier for the staff to do something, but on a scale of this size...

Let us hope something like this never happens again (on the 'Net in general). I just wish I could believe that would be true.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Let us hope something like this never happens again (on the 'Net in general). I just wish I could believe that would be true.

The internet is a worldwide tool. This is bound to happen again somewhere (just not on here - I hope :|) just like it is bound to happen again offline. Sorry for being depressing, but I am of the opinion that a suspicious viewpoint is always the best one to take!

scotsman

Established Member
That's rather scary...and these resulted from meets organised on here?

scotsman

Established Member
Sorry, should have been clearer, the abuse is what I intended to refer to?

All Line Rover

Established Member
Sorry, should have been clearer, the abuse is what I intended to refer to?

I assume you are asking whether the abuse started to arise from Forum Meets or private discussions (PM's)? I don't know, although looking at some of his previous posts, he did seem to give out his "personal" mobile phone number quite often.

scotsman

Established Member
I assume you are asking whether the abuse started to arise from Forum Meets or private discussions (PM's)? I don't know, although looking at some of his previous posts, he did seem to give out his "personal" mobile phone number quite often.

I meant whether the abuse occurred via RailUK, or via other sites (and he also posted here)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I meant whether the abuse occurred via RailUK, or via other sites (and he also posted here)
No it did not, one of the investigating officers has stated to me personally that there were no leud communications sent from him on this forum, they were all done on MSN Messenger, in person or on the telephone/SMS.

Secondly, the individual in question did not attend a single organised forum meet, and there were multiple forums involved.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Well done - you're helped stop a lot of bad things happening to unsuspecting people in the future - how horrible to hear of people using such means though.

Seriously - good work on those four days - hats off :)

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Well done to all those involved. Brilliant work, and you've undoubtably help put some very evil people behind bars and protected countless other innocent rail enthusiasts.

Gavelex

I think the forum staff on here need praise for cooperating fully too.

I'm sure they will also keep an eye on this thread to ensure it does not get out of hand.

Also, was this a bad time for this to come into the open?:lol:

EDIT: For clarification, the above article will in no way affect this conviction.

scotsman

Established Member
No it did not, one of the investigating officers has stated to me personally that there were no leud communications sent from him on this forum, they were all done on MSN Messenger, in person or on the telephone/SMS.

Secondly, the individual in question did not attend a single organised forum meet, and there were multiple forums involved.

Good to hear, just wanted to know

AlexS

Established Member
Crikey!

Never would have thought that, going right back to when I was an admin here. Good work chaps - that particular little rat has been around a very, very long time!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It goes to show that you never really know what people can be like, as this individual seems to have met with certain forum members who were unaware of his proclivities.

I was recently made aware of a former banned member resident in the West Yorkshire area who returned to the forum under another user name and the person concerned had a vast number of indecent images of young people on his computer, which were seized during a police raid on his home, as he was in the process of trying to destroy them.

I at once sent a PM to yorkie about this individual. as he had been active on the forum just before the occurrence. The result being is that he has again been banned.

Ascot

Established Member
Crikey!

Never would have thought that, going right back to when I was an admin here. Good work chaps - that particular little rat has been around a very, very long time!

Now that is going back a few years! He did get wound up easily though. :lol:

tbtc

Veteran Member
Hats off to the pair of you.

Having dealt with a case regarding a nationally known pedophile last week, and having googled him, there were a lot of chances missed in his life when people didn't speak up (which meant that more crimes could happen).

By doing what you've both done with the police you've saved countless lives being tainted in the future by these men.

Nonsense

The internet is a worldwide tool. This is bound to happen again somewhere (just not on here - I hope :|) just like it is bound to happen again offline. Sorry for being depressing, but I am of the opinion that a suspicious viewpoint is always the best one to take!

Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom, or so the saying goes.

Good work and well done to all concerned. We each have a responsibility to each other to keep an eye out and act accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.