• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bikes on FGW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hello all,
on weds 11th April i will be travelling from Tiverton Parkway - London Paddington on FGW (06:27) from TVP my friend is joining at Worle and i am staying at his in worle overnight but require my bike for the next day so will i be able to take it from TVP - WOR for my mates dad to collect then and do i neeed to make reservations and will i have enough time ??

Thanks
Ollie

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
On the HSTs, the bike storage is in the Guard's compartment. On a London bound train, this should be at the rear of the train.

FGW's guide lists the stations where this might not be on the platform:
Camborne
Reading West
Dawlish Warren
Saltash
Evesham
Tenby
Kemble
Tilehurst
Maidenhead
Westbury
Manorbier
Worcester Foregate Street
Moreton-in-Marsh
and says what to do in those situations. The leaflet is here

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
On the HSTs, the bike storage is in the Guard's compartment. On a London bound train, this should be at the rear of the train.
And just to test the agility of FGW passengers, their HSTs do, exceptionally. run in reverse formation (i.e. the Guard's van is at the London end). Fortunately, station announcements have in my experience always announced this with adequate time to walk to the opposite end of the platform.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
EC ones do as well, for giggles. Presumably it also happens to EMT ones from time to time, and regularly to XC ones...

34D

Established Member

I thought they'd started putting bikes in the front power car (former guards brake)? Or is that just for short platforms?

Re the OP - if your ticket is an advance from Tiverton to Paddington I'd make sure that the friends dad meets you on the platform at Worle, as you don't want to be left behind

Established Member
Thanks and yeah thats what the idea was mate i just need to sit as close as i can to my bike Lol

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Further advice: speak to the guard. Let them know what's going on. That'll help make sure you don't get left behind!

TEW

Established Member
I thought they'd started putting bikes in the front power car (former guards brake)? Or is that just for short platforms?
That was original SDO, with the front powercar always platformed where possible. That meant half the time at short platforms only First Class was on the platform which was inconvenient so now the Guards Van is always platformed where possible.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I've always wondered what would happen if you had a bike and on one weekday, wanted to travel on the 0520 Bristol to Paddington service from Trowbridge to Paddington.

It does say that in the peak hour, you can only load/unload at Newbury, Reading and Paddington for HST services starting at Westbury or Frome (I assume you can't load at Westbury or Frome then, presumably because you need to shunt forward at both of the stations to load bikes) but does Bradford-on-Avon and Trowbridge count?

Status
Not open for further replies.