• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bikes on Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hello all
Im planning tomorrow (24/03/12) to just go around devon on a ranger ticket but intend to take my bike.
Ive never done it before si was wondering what do i need to do (reservations)
Where to load my bike onto the train (From TVP)
Etc

Thanks in Advance
Ollie

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
This may help for FGW - http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/...edia/PDF/About us/Cycle by train_Nov_2011.pdf

Reservations may also be made on
some local services operating
between Cardiff / Bristol and the
south coast.
Please note that there is no charge
for reserving your bike.
Customers are encouraged to
reserve their bikes before travel,
when this facility is available. In the
event that customers without
reservations are unable to board a
particular train because the bike
storage area is full, we will endeavour
to accommodate them on to the next
available service. Customers must
remain with their bike at all times
whilst waiting on the platform.

Edit - And this for XC - http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/Customer_service/Cyclists.aspx

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Thankyou but i dont know if A i am travelling at all and B where or when im going

I wish I could be more useful but in that case it sounds as if you are just going to have to hope that all the trains you get on:
a) Don't have both cycle spaces occupied; or
b) Aren't full and standing.

Unless of course you have a folding bike, in which case these are unrestricted.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I don't really see what the problem is here. The extract posted by MattE2010 is quite clear "Customers are encouraged to reserve their bikes before travel,". That's an 'encouragement' not a 'requirement'.

You could expect that you and your bike will be conveyed without trouble. Its only if you are travellng on a busy weekend, at a busy commuter time or during the peak of the holidays that you might be disapointed, and even then "we will endeavour to accommodate them on to the next available service"

Flamingo

Established Member
Get to the station in plenty of time, and ask the staff where you need to stand before the train arrives, this will help save faffing about and delays.

Most rail staff dislike bikes, not because we hate cyclists, but because of the faffing about and delays they cause for the want of a simple amount of preparation and a modicum of urgency on the part of the cyclist.

Established Member
For info

Megatrain have changed their conditions for bikes.

Megatrain SWT - Accepted with reservation
Megatrain East Midlands Trains - Not Accepted
Megatrain Virgin Trains - Not Accepted

cyclebytrain

Get to the station in plenty of time, and ask the staff where you need to stand before the train arrives, this will help save faffing about and delays.

Most rail staff dislike bikes, not because we hate cyclists, but because of the faffing about and delays they cause for the want of a simple amount of preparation and a modicum of urgency on the part of the cyclist.

*At least on member of station staff took pleasure in misdirecting a bike once -years ago at Bath I was sent to the wrong end of the HST... The first time I used that station. Ever since then I've done my research on where I needed to be ahead of time and asked penetrating questions of anyone telling me something I didn't expect!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
*At least on member of station staff took pleasure in misdirecting a bike once -years ago at Bath I was sent to the wrong end of the HST... The first time I used that station. Ever since then I've done my research on where I needed to be ahead of time and asked penetrating questions of anyone telling me something I didn't expect!
Just once?
I've regularly been surprised by the occasional substitution of an HST for a 91 on East Coast, where the cycle storeage is at opposite ends. Although I will often ask dispatch staff if I'm in any doubt, I do find I'm occasionally mis-informed (because they, in turn, had not been informed of the substitution). It does lead to a bit of panic on the platform trying to get through a crowd of passengers from one end of the platform to the other! Fortunately, this is only likely to happen to me at Newcastle, Edinburgh (or the Kings Cross terminus) and, as each of these involves a crew change then the Guard is as likely to be equally mis-informed and standing with me at the wrong end!

There's generally more chance of an FGW HST travelling in reverse formation, but again, platform staff should be aware (and indeed announcements to that effect at FGW stations seem to be quite reliable).

I will agree with Flamingo that I do see a number of other passengers with cycles being less that prompt in loading their cycle, sometimes only starting to sort out their bags and tickets after the doors are open for them. I'd hope that such passengers learn after their first experience of taking a bike on the train and become more efficient, though looking at the way people drag enormous cases through coaches and leave them blocking doors and ailes, I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

cyclebytrain

Only once of FGW. He directed me as if it was in reverse and I didn't know any better. Sigh. Three times on VT, but their drivers now wave wildly at me if it's in reverse as it arrives in the platform and I know to watch for this!

Status
Not open for further replies.