• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bikes south of Finsbury Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splitix

I was recently travelling south on the Hertford-Moorgate line with my bike (it had a puncture) intending to get off at Drayton Park. However, I was made to get off at Finsbury park because apparently bikes aren't allowed south of Finsbury park. I do sometimes hear announcements at Drayton Park saying that bikes aren't allowed but the map on the first capital connect wedsite seems to disagree?

I interpret the map to say Drayton Park is in Zone A but it is clearly borderline.
http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/static/filemanager/cycle_restrictions_map.jpg

Is Drayton Park in Zone A?
If it's not, why not? It's not an underground station so why wouldn't bikes be allowed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
It's clearly in Zone A. But even if it wasn't, it states "not permitted between stations in this Zone". That suggests to me that would have to be in Zone A...

mtmikethom

It wouldn't be the first time people with bikes have been asked to get off at Finsbury Park going south toward Moorgte, I think staff assume the owner is going further south towards Moorgate (Bikes are not allowed on that section owing to Fire Regulations I believe), but is quite clear on another section of their website that Bikes are allowed between Finsbury Park & Drayton Park except southwards in the AM Peak & Northwards in the PM Peak, or as it points out if the Bike causes an obstruction or alas if a member of staff says the Bike is not allowed (though I think there would need to be good reason)

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/plan-your-journey/cyclists/cycle-restrictions/

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...However, I was made to get off at Finsbury park because apparently bikes aren't allowed south of Finsbury park...
I'd advise you write to FCC. I'd be interested to hear their response. It sounds to me like a training issue.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Isn't the Moorgate-Drayton Park stretch akin to deep level tube ?
Yes, that's right :) That's why bikes cannot be taken further south than Drayton Park.

(However it appears there may be a training issue where some staff think Drayton Park is underground. The FCC map is correct in stating that it isn't).

Tubeboy

Bit of a bump!

Have been on FCC several times with my bike. Have travelled to/from Drayton Park with no
issues at all.

Gathursty

Established Member
This rule does sound a bit odd, especially when you consider that Merseyrail don't have such a policy regarding bikes when going underground IIRC...

Status
Not open for further replies.