• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bill Cosby charged with aggravated indecent assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewNo2

Prosecutors in Pennsylvania have finally charged Bill Cosby with rape.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35201511
Prosecutors in the US have charged comedian Bill Cosby with aggravated indecent assault over an alleged incident in 2004.

It is the first time Mr Cosby, 78, has been charged with any offence after months of accusations.

Andrea Constand says she was drugged then assaulted at the Philadelphia home of the former US television star.

Dozens of women have accused him of sexual assault, dating back to the 1970s, but he has denied wrongdoing.

Earlier this month he opened a lawsuit against seven of the women, accusing them of defamation.

This image shows all the women who have (currently) accused him of rape:
new%20york

Cosby is alleged to be a serial rapist who would drug women and then rape them.

I am very happy to see there finally be charges filed against Cosby.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
Agree the title needs fixing, as disgusting as aggravated sexual assault is, rape it isn't.
Either way. The truth I'm sure will come out in court.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Is it only me that finds New York magazine cover to be a bit distasteful? Someone is accused of a horrible crime, and the victims all choose to line up to be on the front cover of a magazine, like they're celebrities. A media circus over the issue is hardly good for a fair trial.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Is it only me that finds New York magazine cover to be a bit distasteful? Someone is accused of a horrible crime, and the victims all choose to line up to be on the front cover of a magazine, like they're celebrities. A media circus over the issue is hardly good for a fair trial.

I thought so too and I can't see how it helps their case paricularly if his defence should be that they are seeking to gain by making these allegations.

TheNewNo2

You're right, unfortunately when a celebrity is involved it is very difficult to even get to a trial, especially in cases of rape.

Many people, when raped, do not tell the police immediately. There are many reasons for this:

1) They might not want to tell people it happened.

Rape is an intense personal violation, and to admit that it happened to you changes how people see you. They might not want to admit it even to themselves.

2) They might think people would blame them.

This is very common with rape. That someone was wearing revealing clothes, or chose to walk home rather than take a taxi, or was drinking, are common ways that a victim is blamed for rape. To clarify here, the only person to blame for rape is the rapist. It doesn't matter what the victim might have been wearing, where they walked, how they behaved.

3) They might think people wouldn't believe they were raped.

People vastly overestimate the percentage of rape cases where the accuser admits it was a hoax. In common with most crimes, it is (IIRC) around 5%. It doesn't help that rape is not something that necessarily obvious evidence like broken windows or black eyes. The evidence left behind is in an intensely private place, and, especially after such a violation, you probably don't want people peering down there.

4) They might think their rapist is untouchable.

This is especially prevalent in celebrity cases, as Operation Yewtree has shown. There were allegations against Jimmy Saville and other celebrities for years but nothing was done about it. Celebrities hold positions of power, and can easily make life miserable for others to hide their own indiscretions. Cosby acted as a mentor to many of the people who say he raped them, and even in an abusive relationship it can sometimes seem a better idea to just let it slide.

5) They might not even know they were raped.

This may not seem so easy to believe, but if you were unconscious the entire time, you might not know you were raped. You might not even know you'd been drugged.

6) Even if they do stand up and say they were raped, their rapist is unlikely to ever be prosecuted, and even more unlikely to be convicted.

Rape, as mentioned before, does not generally leave lasting physical evidence, and so it often boils down to a "he said, she said" issue. Prosecutors are unlikely to go for these cases as the chances of winning are fairly low.

In all such matters, there is strength in numbers. For the earliest victims, the statute of limitations has long passed, so all they can do is stand up now and help others who were similarly abused get the justice they were denied.

As an aside, do you know why the Cosby allegations came to light in the past year or so? They'd been swirling around him for ages, but what brought them to media attention was a comedy act. I kid you not. Hannibal Buress started putting "Bill Cosby is a rapist" in his act, and that was what got media attention. Cosby had even admitted under oath that he drugged women before having sex with them, but the media wasn't interested.

For more information, see the Vox Card Stack regarding the Cosby rape allegations: http://www.vox.com/cards/bill-cosby-rape-sexual-assault-allegations

Last edited:

Johnuk123

Established Member

There are no victims in that picture for obvious reasons.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Funny how this decision has been made now, while both Trevor Noah and Larry Wilmore (who have both given the story publicity at times when the big news outlets were ignoring it) are away for the festive period. Seems "America's Dad" (shudder!) still has influence...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There are no victims in that picture for obvious reasons.

"alleged victims" then, would be more acceptable. Do you believe them? I do.

Johnuk123

Established Member
"alleged victims" then, would be more acceptable. Do you believe them? I do.

Alleged for sure, I have no idea how many of them are genuine but I expect it may well turn out to be 1 or 2 or a few more and loads of others trying their luck as is nearly always the case.

TheNewNo2

Alleged for sure, I have no idea how many of them are genuine but I expect it may well turn out to be 1 or 2 or a few more and loads of others trying their luck as is nearly always the case.

My thanks to Vox for saying this better than I could:

It's very unlikely that Cosby's accusers are simply seeking publicity.

One of the biggest myths about sexual assault is that false reports are rampant. This misconception is part of why women who tell their stories are so likely to have their motives questioned — as is happening now. In actuality, between 2 and 8 percent of rape allegations are proven false, according to various studies and interpretations of FBI data — not a very high percentage, and certainly not high enough to support the widespread skepticism that tends to surround rape allegations.

But really, even if the number were much higher, it wouldn't be a good reason to assume that any individual victim was lying about her experience. After all, people have lied about having their cars stolen plenty of times, but this doesn't lead us to question everyone whose car is stolen the way we do with rape victims.

Plus, Cosby himself admitted under oath in a 2005 lawsuit that he purchased Quaaludes to give to women who he wanted to have sex with, and said that he gave one woman Benadryl before having sex with her.

But — even without Cosby's admission — the bottom line is that it makes sense to approach individual rape allegations based on their particular facts. And here, people who question whether Cosby's accusers are simply seeking publicity are forgetting that making a false rape accusation is not a good way to get fame or fortune.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Yeah, no.

That's America for you. The surge of lurid TMZ-style websites and glossy 24 hour news formats has only accelerated this. Note how the New York magazine cover looks more like an advert for a TV show than a serious piece of journalism...

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
I think the point of the cover is to show that there are some 35 real women accusing him of the assaults. They are not just a statistic or random number in court papers.

As for women possibly making up the claims - unfortunately this does happen, but the US in particular has strong counter-claim laws that would allow prosecution and private financial damage claims against an accuser, so if they are lying, they are open to severe consequences.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I think the point of the cover is to show that there are some 35 real women accusing him of the assaults. They are not just a statistic or random number in court papers.

Do these journalists think the general public are so dumb that they need a picture because they can't understand the written word? If so it says more about the journalists than their readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.