• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bill for Phase 2a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Will it even get as far as being debated, with the i think it is 8 bills to do with Brexit that have got to be got through?

D365

Veteran Member
Will it even get as far as being debated, with the i think it is 8 bills to do with Brexit that have got to be got through?

Oh for christ's sake, parliament doesn't (well shouldn't) just drop the debate of all other legislation just because of this tory shambles. The whole point of this is that we need investment in our infrastructure now more than ever.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
This is a hybrid bill, and will be shunted off to committees for the main scrutiny.
It's also not controversial as all the major parties want it.
However I see the Cheshire NIMBYs are already on the warpath (despite Phase 2a only nibbling at the county).
They do need to start the digging of Phase 1 though, as once it all gets going the degree of acceptance for the whole project will likely increase.

PR1Berske

Established Member

Brexit takes priority, and with a 2 year parliament, there is no guarantee about HS2, neither stage 1 or 2.

The Ham

Established Member
Brexit takes priority, and with a 2 year parliament, there is no guarantee about HS2, neither stage 1 or 2.

Most of the Brexit bills relate to enshrining into UK law stuff that is covered by EU rules. As such there's not likely to be a load of discussion unless there's changes needed to make it better (but then there's probably not a large enough group who would see that a change to vote in a change this way who wouldn't be voted down by those who want a change in the opposite direction and those that want no change)

WatcherZero

Established Member
This parliamentary session will run for two years rather than the usual one as well, no Queens speech next year so there will be a 3 year gap between full state opening of Parliament and the next one since this years was cut back due to short notice.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if she struggles to get the Brexit bills through Parliament

Chester1

Established Member
This is a hybrid bill, and will be shunted off to committees for the main scrutiny.
It's also not controversial as all the major parties want it.
However I see the Cheshire NIMBYs are already on the warpath (despite Phase 2a only nibbling at the county).
They do need to start the digging of Phase 1 though, as once it all gets going the degree of acceptance for the whole project will likely increase.

I agree. With no legislation on health, education, welfare or policing there is plenty of time to get the hybrid bill through parliament alongside the brexit bills. Its a reasonable workload for a two year parliament and only the 8 brexit bills are controversial. Every other bill was delibrately chosen because they have cross party support.

Grinner

Stage 1 already has Royal Assent; no parliamentary time is needed for that.

In respect of Phase 2a, most commentators have generally said that, Brexit aside, this is quite a 'thin' Queen's Speech, so I'm pretty confident all items in it will be dealt with.

Last edited:

Snapper

Established Member

Wrong. Phase 1 is already a done deal. There's no more Parliamentary time needed. There's enough Parliamentary time for the Phase 2a bill. The Govt know it'll sail through as there's no opposition to it - that's why it's in the Queen's speech!

There's also little organised opposition to 2a on the ground, so the Hybrid Bill Ctte will have it much easier too.

Snapper

Established Member
I'm crossing a couple of threads here but I've now had time to analyse the result of the vote & who voted where. I've written about it in a new blog, but here's a summary. Labour effectively abstained (presumably on orders) as they knew the bill was in no danger of failing. Only 13 Lab MPs voted, many former Transport brief holders voted yes and many former Labour foes who voted no to phase 1 abstained. 7 MPs who voted no to phase 1 voted yes to phase 2a! You can read the details (and more) here; https://paulbigland.blog/2018/01/31/the-stop-hs2-campaigns-as-dead-as-a-dodo/

AE

I haven't read them all but my favourite bit from the Phase 2a petitions I have read is from HS2-P2A-071-1 submitted by Madeley Independent Residents STOP HS2 Action Group who are evidently readers of this forum and quote the following thread http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=74515 and in particular "someone called DarloRich" who they say "seems to have technical experience".

I am not sure that petition will be heard. IIRC standing rules of the House are (I paraphrase) that groups setup specifically to oppose a bill do not have leave to petition it (formerly called Locus Standi, now called Right To Be Heard.) As I understand it, the logic goes roughly that a "stophs2" type group cannot claim to be directly affected by the introduction of the bill as the group itself didn't exist until the bill was announced. Still, only a few days to go and we shall see if the SOS chooses to challenge their right to be heard.

Snapper

Established Member
I haven't read them all but my favourite bit from the Phase 2a petitions I have read is from HS2-P2A-071-1 submitted by Madeley Independent Residents STOP HS2 Action Group who are evidently readers of this forum and quote the following thread http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=74515 and in particular "someone called DarloRich" who they say "seems to have technical experience".

Yes, I thought people might find that amusing!

Snapper

Established Member
I am not sure that petition will be heard. IIRC standing rules of the House are (I paraphrase) that groups setup specifically to oppose a bill do not have leave to petition it (formerly called Locus Standi, now called Right To Be Heard.) As I understand it, the logic goes roughly that a "stophs2" type group cannot claim to be directly affected by the introduction of the bill as the group itself didn't exist until the bill was announced. Still, only a few days to go and we shall see if the SOS chooses to challenge their right to be heard.

I'm half hoping this petition will be heard, it should be a real 'popcorn moment'!

Snapper

Established Member
There may be some sport from it, even if it's only a "right to be heard" hearing.

I suspect if it does get heard, the Ctte will listen patiently, then move on as quickly as possible. They sat for the first time today and heard outlines of the Phase 2a route from Hs2 Ltd's Tim Mould QC and Prof McNaughton.

D365

Veteran Member
... and in particular "someone called DarloRich" who they say "seems to have technical experience".

One of the beauties of this new forum software is that it is now possible to notify people by tagging them like one would on facebook.

@DarloRich, over to you ;)

Snapper

Established Member

backontrack

Established Member
That's fantastic! :lol: @DarloRich

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
Yes, I thought people might find that amusing!

Apparently we are all going to die from leprosy because it affects red squirrels and they're digging up an ancient cemetery.

(HS2, not the squirrels)

snowball

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.