• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Billericay to Brighton, off-peak weekday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

In the next couple of weeks, I am planning to travel from Billericay to Brighton. It will be an off-peak journey during a weekday (most likely arriving in Brighton any time after 3pm). I was planning to travel via London Victoria as this is the quickest route, but given that there are a lot of issues with Southern at the moment, would Farringdon be a better option? Seeing as I will be travelling via London Liverpool Street, taking the tube to Farringdon is an easy step.

However, I do seem to recall that Southern used to do a Victoria > Brighton Advance single for £5.00, so I'd like to take advantage of that if I can make it work.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Looking at 20 July (to take a random day in the next 2 weeks) there's one £5 advance left on the 1350 from Victoria which gets to Brighton at 1446, and none left on trains in the preceding couple of hours.

Combine that with a £13.10 Billericay to London Zones 1 to 3 super offpeak day single. (Or, if you are happy to change trains at Shenfield, a £3.50 single from Billericay to Shenfield, and then £8.10 on contactless/oyster for Shenfield to London Victoria).

Last edited:
Thanks for the help.

I've had an Oyster card for many years but I'd never considered changing at Shenfield in order to use it for the SNF > LST part of the journey. I don't think there are any readers on the platforms, but exiting and then re-entering the station wouldn't be a huge issue. I presume Oyster is also valid on a fast service that only calls at Stratford and then Liverpool Street? I wouldn't be too keen to take one of the TfL Rail Metro services.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I presume Oyster is also valid on a fast service that only calls at Stratford and then Liverpool Street? I wouldn't be too keen to take one of the TfL Rail Metro services.

Yes, it's valid on all services between Shenfield and London.

If you're after saving money then use Oyster and change at Stratford onto the Jubilee line to Canada Water (touch the pink reader) then Overground to New Cross Gate or Norwood Junction for a Southern train to East Croydon. You can still get £5 advances from East Croydon, plus you have Thameslink services if not tied to an advance.

Yes, it's valid on all services between Shenfield and London.

Great news, thanks for letting me know about that.

Thanks for the alternative route, too. I'll certainly consider it – it will just depend on how much luggage I have. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.