• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Billy Connolly's Tracks Accross America

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin5025

Billy Connolly has a new series, Tracks Accross America http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep3week15/billy-connollys-tracks-across-america

In these three episodes, Billy Connolly will circumnavigate the four corners of the United States on the magic carpet made of steel that is America’s rail network.

Beginning in Chicago and finishing in New York, Billy will head into the vast and astonishing landscapes that make up America’s backyard. An epic 26 states and over 6,000 miles of cities, coast, mountains, desert and swamp.

Rich in the romance of the American dream, this is a travelogue in the tracks of the pioneers who built a nation. A glimpse into modern America and the states we rarely get to see onscreen. It’s a journey rich in people and places, chock-a-block full of moments you could only have in the company of Billy Connolly, a man who can move you to laughter and tears on the turn of a dime.

A series painted in visuals straight from the silver screen, with Billy on the banjo strumming along to the ‘chug chug’ rhythm of the ride.

He is going from Chicago to New York, 'the wrong way round' ie heading west to Seattle first ! :D. Just watched the first episode. It was the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle. He visits lots of places that most people don't , small town America, and it was really good. And, there are plenty of trains. He is using Amtrak. They have lots of excellent external shots, plus lots of freight trains too. Worth looking out for. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
Yeah; that guy must also be 60+ in years. Lets check Wiki: hmm, 73 years. 5 years ago he did Route 66.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Mr C still doing excelled travelogues. This one rail based as a bonus !

Enjoyed last nights episode very much.

Minilad

Established Member
Watched last night. Some cracking external shots and a fair few big freights too.
Billy on good form as well. And I definitely want a Juicy Lucy

duncanp

Established Member
I wonder if he has/will stop off in Glasgow. (in Montana that is)

This is on the route to Seattle.

Interesting comparison between this programme and Michael Portillo's recent series.

kevin5025

I wonder if he has/will stop off in Glasgow. (in Montana that is)

This is on the route to Seattle.

Interesting comparison between this programme and Michael Portillo's recent series.

He did, and there is a great scene in the radio station where the manager says to him 'so, you're from Glasgow!'. I think it is still availble on catch up / internet.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I watched on ITV catch up last night. I didn't think Billy looked too well at times, but he is 73 and suffering from Parkinson's, so that's hardly surprising. He might even have had jet lag!

Hophead

Established Member
It appears that the series is to be repeated, starting this week (ITV1, Tues 16/08, 22:40 - at least in England). Not unlike the Portillo shows, but with less social history and more banjo. Billy Connolly is an engaging companion for the journey.

And, while checking this out, I found that Griff Rhys Jones "Slow Train Through Africa" is on tonight (Sunday) from 22:15 (also ITV1); hopefully they'll be showing it in the right order this time. If you really want to watch and I'm late in posting, there's always ITV1+1 (Freeview 33).

Status
Not open for further replies.