• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham - Cwmbran return

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I am looking to do a trip to Wales to do the Valley Lines network and other bits in that area as well later in the summer.

Regarding the BHM - CWM section, it is my intention to go from Birmingham via Bromsgrove to Worcester Shrub Hill, then via Cheltenham and Gloucester to Newport (Gwent) and stooping short. I would return from the generic direction of Cardiff to Hereford, then via Worcester to Birmingham (either via Bromsgrove or via Stourbridge, and resuming the return portion at CWM).

I have found SVR Any Permitted for £30.10 (railcard discount) and also a SVR "Route: via Worcester" for £15.45. If I have interpreted the "Route: via Worcester" fare as meaning that the intended route of that fare is for journeys to go via Hereford in both directions (could somebody confirm if that is the case?), I would require a change of route excess for the outward portion.

Using the Fares and Ticketing Guide section of the forum, my calculations if I have interpreted it correctly, would be half of the difference between the 2 prices above (£30.10 Any Permitted subtract £15.45 Route: via Worcester) = £14.65. As it is just the outward portion of a return I would like to excess, £14.65 (or £14.70, rounded to the nearest multiple of 10 pence) divided by 2 = £7.35.

Have I done the above right, as I've never had to ask for a change of route excess before?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
If I have interpreted the "Route: via Worcester" fare as meaning that the intended route of that fare is for journeys to go via Hereford
Really?! :)

I'm confident your proposed outward itinerary is valid on a "via Worcester" ticket - it goes via Worcester! And also follows a mapped route. I think it would be quite easy to argue if challenged, too.

Romilly

Established Member
I can certainly get the Virgin Trains East Coast journey planner to offer Birmingham-Worcester-Gloucester-Newport-Cwmbran itineraries for the OP's preferred "via Worcester" ticket by setting "Worcester station" as the "via" point, clicking on "Timetables only", asking for trains that "Call at" Gloucester, updating, and clicking on "Buy tickets"

Starmill

Veteran Member
I agree, 'Via Worcester' means just that, you should travel via Worcester. If they meant you should travel via Hereford, then the ticket would be routed 'Via Hereford' !

Status
Not open for further replies.