• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham-Exeter-Scarborough-Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosscity

I wish to make the following journeys in the near future:
Fri 19 Sep: Birmingham-Exeter
Mon 22 Sep: Exeter-Scarborough
Fri 26 Sep: Scarborough-Birmingham
When staying in Scarborough I intend to make a couple of day trips to the NRM at York.

Any ideas for the best tickets to buy to minimise the cost? (Note: Off-peak walk-on or rover/ranger tickets only; ie no advances). I am not entitled to any railcard. Any routes considered, provided I arrive at the three long-haul destinations in time for an evening meal at a reasonable hour.

The challenge is to come in cheaper than 87.70+80.80+17.90+17.90=204.30, which is the cost of an off-peak return from Birmingham to Exeter, one from Birmingham to Scarborough and two off-peak day returns from Scarborough to York.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andythebrave

Birmingham Cheltenham off peak return £24.00, two off peak singles Cheltenham Bristol Parkway and back £17.40, off peak return Bristol Parkway Exeter St David's £27.30, Birmingham Derby off peak return £16.70, Derby Scarborough off peak return £61.50 plus the Scarborough York returns as per your original gives a total of £182.70. I think everything stops at Cheltenham, Bristol Parkway and Derby.

Last edited:

crosscity

Thank you Andythebrave. Your advice is welcome but I have decided to do something different and get to both Exeter and Scarborough via London with a combination of 'Advances' and Off-Peak Returns.

It's almost 40 years since I've been from London to Exeter or vice-versa. What I intend to do is travel from Paddington to Exeter via the Berks & Hants on the Friday, and return from Exeter to Waterloo via the LSW on the following Monday.

From what I can see there is Super Off-Peak Return from London to Exeter (Route Taunton) for £80.50 and an Off Peak Return from London to Exeter (Route Honiton) for £69.90.

I have some further questions: If I buy the more expensive (via Taunton) ticket can I use that to return via Honiton as the latter is a cheaper route? If not, can I excess the ticket before boarding the Waterloo train? Would there be a charge or refund?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I would buy the cheaper (route: via Honiton) ticket and excess the outward portion to route: via Taunton.

A change of route excess in one direction is half the difference between the two fares.

crosscity

I would buy the cheaper (route: via Honiton) ticket and excess the outward portion to route: via Taunton.

A change of route excess in one direction is half the difference between the two fares.

This sounds good but
a) Can I do this all in one go at a booking office window from my local station (Kings Norton)? Eg I say, "Good morning. I would like an Off-Peak Return from London to Exeter via Honiton going out on Friday and wish to excess the outward portion to a Super Off-Peak Return from London to Exeter via Taunton."
b) Can I buy the via Honiton ticket on-line from, say, the First Great Western website (where I'll earn Nectar points), print the tickets at the TOD m/c at Kings Norton and then take them to the booking office to excess the outward portion?
c) Is there an admin charge on top of the excess?

As anyone tried a) or something similar at a local station?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
a) Can I do this all in one go at a booking office window from my local station (Kings Norton)? Eg I say, "Good morning. I would like an Off-Peak Return from London to Exeter via Honiton going out on Friday and wish to excess the outward portion to a Super Off-Peak Return from London to Exeter via Taunton."

Yes you can, assuming the clerk at the station is reasonably competent.

b) Can I buy the via Honiton ticket on-line from, say, the First Great Western website (where I'll earn Nectar points), print the tickets at the TOD m/c at Kings Norton and then take them to the booking office to excess the outward portion?

That's fine, again as long as you get a competent clerk. You can also get a change of route excess on board from the guard, there is no penalty for doing this.

c) Is there an admin charge on top of the excess?

No there isn't an additional fee payable.

I've always managed to obtain excesses at my local station (Stevenage) as there are some decent clerks there. Evidence on this forum suggests you may need to 'shop around'. Excesses aren't that commonly done, a good clerk will welcome the opportunity of doing something a little different, a not so good clerk might try an deny they even exist!

Status
Not open for further replies.