• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham-Leeds Mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrocammel

Hi,
Can anyone tell me the mileage between Birmingham N S to Leeds, via Burton, Derby, Sheffield and Wakefield W G.
I'm working my HST mileages out from last Saturday, but the birmingham - leeds XC table doesnt give the mileages.

Thanks,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
If you had worked out an average speed on the journey, you could quite easily calculate the mileage ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sorry, how was he supposed to work out the average speed?

I believe the info you require is in the NRT. One moment please whilst I look it up...

Apparently Table 51 is one of those tables that doesn't include route mileages on the first page of it, like most of the ones I use... :roll:

Sorry about that.

TheSlash

Established Member
FGWFan said:
Sorry, how was he supposed to work out the average speed?
Mileposts. Time how long it takes you to travel between mileposts and thats your average speed over a mile, say it takes you 30 seconds to travel 1 mile, then you are 2 miles a minute, times both sides by 60, 120mph. repeat the process for every mile and you'll get an average speed for the journey, this includes station stops

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do you have an NRT? if so look it up in the individual tables (Why they don't give the mileages in table 51 I don't know, for £12 I expect better).

If not, let me know and I'll look them up for you.

Does anyone have an old NRT? It may be in the old ones? Unfortunately I only have an 04-05 one (I'd like an old one though!).

EDIT: I've just used CORE and it's 115 miles

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've got three NRTs IIRC, a really old one when it was still £10, the next one (23rd May 2004 to 11th December 2004) and I believe the one after that.

Never buying another NRT, they're a severe waste of money. The way I'm looking at it, buying an NRT is almost half the money I could spend on combo CDRing a trip to London!

EDIT: Now I've started to do it again now, I need to know mileages between MAN and New Street, but this is via the Manchester Airport avoider, then mileage from New Street to Bristol Parkway. Why? Need to figure out how much mileage I accumulated behind 43069 and 089 last week!

Thanks for the info on how to do that TheSlash. I may look into trying that on a short stretch (say, Cardiff to Newport) soon to see what the average speed is.

Dennis

Established Member
Timing 1/4 mileposts is the old-fashioned way of working out the speed you are travelling at - the following table gives time intervals between 1/4 mileposts and the average speed to achieve this.

mph time secs to do 1/4mile
10 90.0
20 45.0
30 30.0
40 22.5
50 18.0
60 15.0
70 12.9
80 11.3
90 10.0
100 9.0
110 8.2
120 7.5
130 6.9
140 6.4

There are GPS based systems which you can buy which will tell you speed, distance travelled etc but I don't know much about these.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Dennis said:
There are GPS based systems which you can buy which will tell you speed, distance travelled etc but I don't know much about these.
Someone demonstrated one to Metrocammel and myself on a Class 90 last week, but it ran out of batteries about 2 minutes after he turned it on (and, we were stopped at a red signal at the time)! :

Dennis

Established Member
Impressive demo then? Feel the urge to rush out and buy one?

I'll carry on using my watch and estimating the speed - one less thing to carry around.

GPS; one more feature to include in mobile phones perhaps.

TheSlash

Established Member
I've seen the GPS thing used on the Talisman tour, it was fairly good but long tunnels produced screwy results at points, espcially approaching London where there are a series of tunnels, we had average speed readings of 115mph when the train was actually doing about 60mph :lol:

Jim

Established Member
TheSlash said:
I've seen the GPS thing used on the Talisman tour, it was fairly good but long tunnels produced screwy results at points, espcially approaching London where there are a series of tunnels, we had average speed readings of 115mph when the train was actually doing about 60mph :lol:
:lol::lol:

MK1's can only do 100mph :P

evil_hippo

While you all go off your heads suggesting wacky solutions I have a simple plan.

1. I go upstairs.
2. I locate my copy of the NRT
3. I look up table 51
4. I look at the mileage column.
5. I tell you what the mileage is.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
evil_hippo said:
While you all go off your heads suggesting wacky solutions I have a simple plan.

1. I go upstairs.
2. I locate my copy of the NRT
3. I look up table 51
4. I look at the mileage column.
5. I tell you what the mileage is.
Unless old copies of the NRT have the mileage this won't get you anywhere if you look on table 51. You'd need to look up other tables. But this is all unnecessary as the mileage is 115 miles ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Zoltan, I confirmed before it was not in the NRT.

Besides, I'd imagine it's fun timing your train between mileposts...Something different to do!

evil_hippo

Before cross country started there were 2 seperate tables collectively showing this route with mileages, and it confirms it is 115 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.