• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham Mileage Challenge, 10/11/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnolife

Established Member
So, after having only visited the West Midlands twice in my life before this week, I found myself having to go there 3 times in a week (twice as part of travel to the FA cup fiasco at Burton, and then again today).

Having stayed up until 2 o'clock this morning trying to come up with an improvement over my original plan for this, I had a stupidly early start to the day (06:30), where I started the day with a lovely load of yesterdays washing up :(. Having got that out the way, I made my way to Manchester Airport to start my trip. At the booking office, I asked for a return to The Lakes, to which the somewhat irritated-sounding ticket office person asked 'do you mean Oxenholme, Penrith, Kendal, Burneside, Staveley or Windermere'. Once we'd straightened that one out, I joined the 08:11 Northern service to Crewe, (323235), which arrived at 08:48, which gave me just enough time to make a connection onto the 08:49 for Birmingham New Street, an unidentified 350/2, which I took to Wolverhampton, arriving at 09:27. Thinking I had almost 90 minutes to get to New Street, I decided to take a leisurely trip to Moor Street, changing from the 09:49 LM service to Walsall (an unidentified 323) at Smethwick Galton Bridge at 10:06. From there it was the 10:16 LM service to Stratford upon Avon, from which I was planning on changing at Spring Road. However, a phonecall from Telstarbox telling me that I was late caused a very late change of plans for me, and I bailed at Moor Street at 10:29. Realising that I was late, had no ticket, and my plan was for the wrong start and finish time, I had to come up with something different to do and fastish. I bought a Birmingham Stations to Holmes Chapel return (15.50 YP or 23.20 undiscounted), and a daytripper (5.80), making my total cost for ther challenge 29.00

I joined the 10:49 CrossCountry service to Nottingham (170637), which I took to the limit of my ticket's validity at Tamworth, arriving 2 early at 11:07. I then joined the 11:31 London Midland service from the Low Level platforms to Crewe (350266), which I had the surprise of seeing Telstarbox on - he was doing Lichfield TV to Rugeley TV -, and I took that to Stoke-on-Trent, arriving 12:17, 4 minutes late, and I started to get a little bit worried about my plan from this point. I took the 12:20 CrossCountry service to Manchester Piccadilly, arriving 12:59. This gave me a leisurely 17 minute connection to the 12:16 TransPennine Express service for Glasgow Central (185117), which I took to Preston. This service was the one that was really getting me worried, because I thought that the conductor would take exception to my choice of tickets. Luckily for me, the train was absolutely heaving, to the point of having to leave passengers behind at each stop, so there was no chance of a ticket inspection there. The delays in getting everyone on board caused the train to get quite badly delayed at Euxton Junction, meaning that my generous 23 minute connection there dwindled to a mere 6 minutes. Thankfully, Preston isn't the sort of monstrosity that other large stations (like St Pancras for example), so I wasn't in any real danger of missing my train out, the 14:17 Virgin Trains service to Birmingham New Street (221106), which I took all the way, arriving at 15:56.

I then decided to make my way over to Moor Street for my aborted trip down the Snow Hill lines, taking the 16:10 LM service bound for Whitlock's End (172344) as far as Hall Green, arriving 16:22, where I had the bright idea of going down the last bit of track that I hadn't done that I knew has a decent line speed. So I made my way back to Moor Street on the 16:28 service for Worcester Foregate St (172221) arriving 16:40, and then to New Street for the 16:50 Virgin Trains service to Euston (390112), which I left at Coventry at 17:12, 2 minutes late. I then took the 17:22 VT service to Wolverhampton (390117) back as far as Birmingham New Street, arriving 17:45 (on time), which gave me a nice leisurely walk up the stairs to the concourse, where lewisrday and ollieb were already waiting. Temple Meads showed his face at 17:59, and we were stuck waiting for Telstarbox and Ascot. When they did turn up, we made our way to a branch of Spoons called the Square Peg, which apparently was recommended to us by a forum member, who then didn't show up. I'm not going to name names though. After being the only one of us to eat a proper meal (no guys, Fudge cake does NOT count at a proper meal, unfortuneatly), we made our way back to New Street station so that me and Telstarbox could take the 20:31 CrossCountry service to Manchester. That turned out to be fun. After a Football special 323x2 from Witton had disgorged a load of P*55ed up Manchester United fans onto our platform, the actual train showed up. It was a case of the football fans took all the seats, and a fair amount of the vestibules, and everyone else just had to lump it. We left Birmingham 9 minutes down, but gradually made that time up as we wandered up towards Manchester (A little bit slowly for my liking), so that we were just +3 there. On arrival, I was greeted with the news that there wasn't a lot in the way of trains towards my stop, MIA, for almost 40 minutes, but not really having the money to waste on a bus fare, I just had to sit it out. I finally made it back home at 23:40, just a little bit later than I was expecting.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh, and I found an error in what I was saying as my expected mileage for the day - I'd managed to count Stoke to Manchester twice. Still, I don't think 249 mi 20ch is bad for unique mileage for 30.00.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
The Square Peg is fine drinking hole although surely The Briar Rose is closer? :D

Did anyone use a WMDR/Daytripper?

Ivo

Established Member
So? Who won, and what was the distance involved?

I have to say, the format is certainly interesting - would make for an exciting Z1-6 Challenge!

Lrd

Established Member
So? Who won, and what was the distance involved?

I have to say, the format is certainly interesting - would make for an exciting Z1-6 Challenge!
Think its safe to say that gnolife won! I got no where near what he did as I wasn't really taking part properly (trip report on its way) and telstarbox only had a WMDR and don't think he quite managed 250 miles!
This is my trip report of the day, I wasn’t taking part in the actual mileage challenge as such, I just got in a few lines that I needed in the area, I have included the mileage at the end of the report though. I didn’t realize how long it would take to do what I did do, I was hoping to have time at the end to have a walk around Brum but never got the time. :( Sorry for the length. :)

Well, we shall start the report with the night before the trip. Having already booked my tickets for the trip the day before (on Thursday, today being Friday), I thought I would confirm the timings and realized I was booked for the 0600 off Southampton Central (in first class), after confirming the bus times and the fact the first bus from my house to the station leaves at 0603, it soon dawned on me that I would have to cycle to the station, or get a taxi, I looked at my wallet, saw it was empty, looked out the window and saw that it was raining, so went on NRE to book another journey, found a cheap Advance ticket for the next morning’s XC 0747 to Newcastle getting in to Brum at 1018, thinking that the challenge started at 1100, I thought it was perfect so booked it. Now, time for bed.

I awake at about 0330 on the Saturday and tried my best to get back to sleep which proved difficult, after about an hour of just lying there, I played a few games on my phone and get out of bed at 0600, get ready and leave my house just before 0700 to get the 0706 bus into town. I get to the station about 5 minutes early at 0720 and go to the recently refurbished co-op for some cash and some drinks for later on. Slow dawdle over to the station and collect my tickets, discarding the ones for the earlier train, through the barriers and straight into Upper Crust for a tasty Sausage, Bacon and Egg half baguette, such a shame they don’t do the bigger baguettes with this filling. Out on to Platform 1 and see my train is second on the boards, with the 0730 to Waterloo due in first but due to over-running engineering works near Christchurch (I think) this train wasn’t expected in until 0742. Having previously checked www.realtimetrains.co.uk I knew that the XC was coming from Eastleigh due in at 0740 and so expected a platform alteration, next thing I hear from the PA is that XC service will now depart from Platform 3, I get to the platform as the Voyager (220xxx) is pulling in, the driver gets off and changes ends but hasn’t released the doors so I guessed the guard (sorry, Train Manager) wasn’t present yet and soon enough he came along and released the doors, I make my way to Coach F and find my booked seat to find that there is a lovely bulkhead where the window is meant to be, I checked all the other seats reservations and they were all going to be taken up with no available seats, so I sat in my booked seat and made friends with the bulkhead. I notice the London service (444) pulling into platform 1 and see someone eyeing up the Voyager, we left on time, in front of the 444, as we start rolling, I see the person I just saw on the 444 standing in shock as he and a few others watched their train leaving.

It was raining all the way up to Basingstoke which resulted in some wheel slips, the rest of the journey was uneventful, up until just after Leamington Spa, which was interesting for me as I needed the line from Tyseley into New Street instead of going through Coventry and International. We arrive into New Street on time at 1018 and I make way up to the ticket office to buy myself a West Midlands Day Ranger, checked time to be about 1025, thinking I had another 30 mins till the challenge starts, I go to the toilet (paying only 10p instead of 30p) and start to make my way to the shop to buy some food for later on in the day, until I spot three people standing at the meeting point and then recognizing telstarbox I go and say hello and met ollieb and Temple Meads for the first time. telstarbox told us that gnolife was on his way from Moor Street and then disappeared for his train. ollieb and Temple Meads both disappeared shortly after, leaving me waiting for gnolife to show up. I looked at the departure boards and decided I wanted to be on the 1049 to Hereford but carried on waiting for gnolife, it got to 1045 and I walked down to meet my train for the next few hours, Class 170xxx (I don’t do unit numbers by the way :)) which I took all the way to Hereford as I needed the line from Bromsgrove to Worcester Forgate Street, avoiding Shrub Hill and the line from Great Malvern to Hereford, we arrived into Hereford on time at 1219. I walk over to the Morrisons to buy a sandwich, I used the ancient self service machines and then back over to the station to see a Class 175 leave on a Man Pic service. My 170 strolls back into the station after shunting just outside over to platform 3 and I jump on for the 1240 service back to New Street. After a scream from the engines up the Lickey incline we pull into University where I leave the service and go over to the other platform. I saw a Redditch service was due at 1420. After watching a few 323s come and go, my one turned up about 2 minutes late but we were soon on our way, at Kings Norton the driver couldn’t take power and was soon out of his cab, after ‘talking’ with the guard, interlock was gained and we were soon on our way. Just before Barnt Green the guard came round and checked all tickets, I showed him mine, he moved down the rest of the saloon (the one between the last set of doors and the drivers cab) and checked the other five passengers tickets, then came back to me and asked for my ticket again, so I showed him again, this was all in the space of about 30 seconds!)

We pull into Redditch a few minutes late at 1455, the driver and guard swap ends, I walk out to the front of the station, stand for 30 seconds then go back in and board the 323 again. We were a little late leaving as we were due out at 1457. I stay on this 323 all the way through to Lichfield Trent Valley, almost killed myself a few times as I was so bored of this drab 323 but I managed to clear the line from Aston up to Lichfield TV. (I don’t need to travel on a LM 323 ever again now!) I make my way down to the low level platforms and await my 350, by this time it was starting to get dark and was very cold, I walk up and down the platform and watch a few Pendolino’s and Voyager’s shoot through at high speed. The 350 finally pulled in at 1640 (after a 20 minute wait in the cold, it couldn’t come soon enough), we make our way down to Nuneaton where I jump off. My initial plan was to get the 153 to Coventry and then back into New Street that way but after checking the journey planners, I realized I would be late back in so opted to get a XC service from here back into New Street, calling at Coleshill Parkway as I needed this line as well as the Nuneaton-Coventry line. A XC 170 pulled in at 1707 and I stood in the vestibule as I thought it was only a quick journey. We pulled into New Street at 1738 and I made my way up to the concourse to be greeted by no one. So I stood and waited at the meeting point, about 5 minutes later ollieb turned up, then gnolife showed shortly after, then Temple Meads showed at 1759 (the last one on time) with telstarbox and Ascot eventually showing up near 1815!

We make our way to Wetherspoon’s ‘Square Peg’, which was a long walk! I had one quick drink and bade farewell to everyone as I was booked on the 1910 off New Street, using the directions Ascot gave me and not getting lost, I was back at New Street in no time and went to M&S for some dinner and some more cider. I walked down to the platform and walked to where I thought coach B would be stopping but as the 390 pulled in, I saw the unit number 390117 (only remember number because the Pendo is called “Virgin Prince”) which indicated it was 11 coaches so I carried on walking to almost the end of the platform and jump on board. I found someone sat in my booked seat so found another seat as it was quite a quiet service. I relaxed in my seat with a window, opened my bottle of cider with one of my keys and awaited a nice fast run down to Euston. We made our way down to Brum International, then Coventry and then Rugby. After leaving Rugby it became apparent to me that we weren’t really thundering down the West Coast as fast as I hoped and also noticed that my drink was sliding all over the place as we tilted, this was because we weren’t tilting! I guessed we must’ve had a TASS failure so couldn’t do 125mph. We pulled into Euston a few minutes late at 2100ish, so this confirmed my idea that we weren’t at full speed.

I crossed London via the Northern Line down to Waterlulu, I get there at roughly 2125 and look at the 2135 service wondering if I will be able to get but I have a ‘Mandatory reservation’ on the 2205 so decide not to risk it. I go over to Burger King and get a burger and sit up stairs for a bit, then wonder over to platform 13 to be met by a Class 159 which I knew wasn’t right, so carried on walking to see a Class 444 further down, I walk right to the end carriage and sit a table seat so I can use a plug socket for my phone, before I know it a family from Vancouver (I think) that had been drinking wine and port came and sat my table and we started talking, as well as another couple on the table next to us. It certainly made the trip go quicker than usual.

We get into Southampton Central on time at 2329 and I make my across the station and street to the bus stop, just as a bus is coming round the corner and I get home just before midnight.

Mileage:
New Street - Hereford 55m 05ch
Barnt Green - Redditch 4mi 73ch
New Street - Lichfield TV 17m 55ch
Lichfield TV - Nuneaton 19m 09ch
Nuneaton - New Street 21m 02ch

Total Mileage: 117m 24ch
Would have been 125m 35ch if I went via Coventry.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Anyone else going to do a trip report, they make interesting reading.

SS4

Established Member
Mine and Templemeads' will make very Interesting Reading :D

[mode=pedant]reading. Reading is a proper noun in this context whereas reading is the present participle of to read :D[/mode]

Unfortunately I didn't have the cash to take part but I wonder how the Daytripper would have been taken in account since I would have used one to get to the challenge.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Curious, and meant to ask this last night, but it's interesting that it's called 'Birmingham Mileage Challenge' when the OP makes a trip up to Preston! Call me old fashioned but that's not the Midlands!

An interesting idea though, how many miles could realistically be done in a day on a WMDR? I know I've done quite a few (around 250 or more) on a shack-scratching spree earlier in the year, but could easily be far more!

Temple Meads

Established Member
Curious, and meant to ask this last night, but it's interesting that it's called 'Birmingham Mileage Challenge' when the OP makes a trip up to Preston! Call me old fashioned but that's not the Midlands!

That's why I did a Daytripper ;)

(The above is totally untrue, it's because I'm skint)

telstarbox

Established Member
That was partly the idea - no-one said you had to stay in Birmingham! It would have been possible to get down to Southampton within the price cap too. I originally planned to go to Lincoln and back (out and back via different routes), but the connections meant it wouldn't have fitted into the times.

If there's sufficient interest we could do another one in a few months, with a different start point.

Ivo

Established Member
That was partly the idea - no-one said you had to stay in Birmingham! It would have been possible to get down to Southampton within the price cap too. I originally planned to go to Lincoln and back (out and back via different routes), but the connections meant it wouldn't have fitted into the times.

If there's sufficient interest we could do another one in a few months, with a different start point.

Maybe you could try a similar system using different start and finish points? For example, start at Lime Street and finish at Piccadilly?

Temple Meads

Established Member
You're always "skint" - more so than me! :lol:

I know you're younger than most of us, but you can't deny this...

I certainly don't deny it!

Though to be honest, I've done a lot of trips this year for someone skint (Cardiff X3, Didcot X2, Birmingham X2, Eastleigh X1, Newport X3, Bristol X7, Looe X1, Westbury X1, Bath X2, plus about 30 Devon Evening Rangers!) :lol:
Ok, so here's my trip report (bear in mind that I wasn't really doing the challenge, just doing a bash around Birmingham):

So, Saturday 10th November started for me at 4am, when for some reason my neighbours decided to come in drunk, play very loud music and then set off some fireworks :lol: <(

I couldn't get back to sleep after that so I got up and had a wash/washed my hair, then played SimSig Exeter until my fellow RUK member and travelling companion Ollie (ollieb) said he was ready to leave for the station at about 05:45, after a dual carriageway trip to Tiverton Parkway in the darkness we went onto the station to find it staffed and with a couple of people also waiting for the 06:37 Cross Country service to Edinburgh, which we'd reserved our tickets for over a month ago!

220017 duly turned up on time, but for some reason the door directly in front of us wasn't opening from the outside, so we moved along to the next one, and tried to find our seats, despite the train being relatively empty there was a young lady sitting at our table (in one of our reserved seats), so we politely turfed her out and got settled in for the journey north - though I had no view, just a stupid plastic panel <(

We were ticket checked about 5 minutes after leaving Tiverton Parkway, where the very nice Train Manager had the unenviable task of helping us sort out the mass of coupons, the journey north was pretty uneventful (excepting Ollie's revolting flask :P ) and a few interesting locomotives: DRS 47828 and 47832 at Bristol Temple Meads ready to operate a tour to Kensington Olympia, a Freightliner 66 on a coal train just before Bristol Parkway, the Shanks liveried FL 66 (66522) stabled in Stoke Gifford yard, a DRS intermodal, and a DBS coal train passed us between Yate and Cheltenham.

I tried to doze between Bristol and Cheltenham, but a combination of Ollie and a vibrating Voyager put paid to that idea, we got to Barnt Green and I then got over-excited at being under OLE, and all thoughts of sleeping were well forgotten, we passed the Kings Norton On Track Plant “Depot”, where two Network Rail MPV's appeared to be getting ready for RHTT duty later on, we arrived into Birmingham New Street on time at 08:56, now the real fun can begin...

We were very pleased to find that a Pendolino was one the platform opposite us, so we took some pictures, and then it disappeared up to Wolverhampton, this was the first time Ollie had ever seen a Pendolino, and the first time I'd been properly up close to a stationary one since January 2007, we then moved to the upper level to buy our tickets (after a quick look at the outside of the station), we both bought Network Daytripper tickets (Ollie commented on how nice the tickets were, and that he'd like a similar design for Devon Rangers), and then as it was still just over an hour until the challenge's start time of 10.30 we decided to have our first ever ride on a Pendolino, so we boarded the 09:30 Euston, with 390021 “Virgin Dream” in charge, it was rammed, so we had to settle for a vestibule, we went as far as Birmingham International where we bailed and after taking some pictures (as seen below) made our way across the footbridge where 350233 soon turned up operating the 09:47 to New Street, this was the first trip on a 350 for both of us, after departure Ollie went to check out the 350 toilets (which he was rather impressed by), while I remembered that sitting backwards in a Desiro makes me feel a bit queasy, so Ollie suggested I sit in a forward facing seat, which made a difference. We saw a couple of “Freds” in Landor Street FL Terminal, no idea of numbers though, we reached New Street on time, where Ollie went upstairs and I did a five minute photting session.

8179309988_b7a26bed44_n.jpg
[/url] 390148 "Virgin Harrier" at Birmingham New Street by Transport Tim, on Flickr[/IMG]

I then went upstairs to the agreed meeting place, outside Upper Crust on the “footbridge”, after a few minutes Charlie (Telstarbox) introduced himself, then a few minutes later Lewis (Lewisrday) arrived, we waited about 10 minutes for Dan (gnolife) to arrive, but our first train was announced, so we had to dash off and leave Lewis to wait for Dan, 323220 was waiting with the 10:39 to Wolverhampton, which we alighted from at Smethwick Galton Bridge, I rather enjoyed the traction and brake squeal from the 323, in fact I think I enjoyed it a bit too much for Ollie's liking!

8179274973_fd089e8ed6_n.jpg
[/url] 323220 at Smethwick Galton Bridge by Transport Tim, on Flickr[/IMG]

We managed to film a couple of Pendolinos before trekking up to the high level for the 11:07 service to Dorridge, with 172220 in charge, we bailed at Moor Street, as we wanted to do some photography in the area (I would've gone onto Dorridge if I'd have been going all out for mileage) we got some good pictures before debating whether to get the bus or walk the 10 minutes back to Moor Street, we opted for the walk, and then we did a bit of photting at Moor Street, where an unidentified Chiltern Class 67/Mark 3 set was stabled nearby, I got my first ever shot of a Networker outline Class 168, and a couple of 172 shots, before we hopped onto the 12:09 service to Great Malvern, with 172220 again providing the power, this was a quick hop to Birmingham Snow Hill, where we did some more transport photography before returning to Snow Hill for our first ever trip on the Midland Metro, where tram 06 took us as far as The Hawthorns, where we went back to NR metals by joining 172342 which was operating the 13:40 to Kidderminster, which we alighted from at Smethwick Galton Bridge.

8182539160_aa9d11f239_n.jpg
[/url] 172342 at Smethwick Galton Bridge by Transport Tim, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then we went back downstairs to the low level, did some photting, before joining the slightly delayed 14:05 to Walsall, which was formed of an unidentified LM Class 323, which we alighted from at Birmingham New Street, it's a good job we didn't stay on this train, because when the doors opened at New Street we were confronted with a LOT of raucous football fans off to a match at Villa Park, we decided on another hop down to Birmingham International, this time for a look at the airport, 390017 “Virgin Prince” took us there in style, and on time, then we decided to have a ride on the station to airport monorail link, which was very good fun, free too!

8182731234_a910dace8d_n.jpg
[/url] Birmingham International Monorail by Transport Tim, on Flickr[/IMG]

After about 15 minutes at the airport we went back to the station (again by monorail), and then took 390137 “Virgin Difference” on the 15:40 to London Euston, which we left at Coventry, we stayed at Coventry for about 20 minutes (still too long ;) ), where (due to a certain dawdling veg whose name starts with “O”...) we were faced with a quick dash over the footbridge to Platform 3 to catch the 16:23 service to Wolverhampton, which we took all the way to it's final destination, 390131 “City of Liverpool” was the motive power, I was starting to feel a bit tired after New Street, which is probably why, on arrival at Wolverhampton, I insisted that I could make it to the end of the platform and back, and then over the platform in seven minutes, for our next train, suffice to say, I didn't make it, so I got text from Ollie (who was on our intended train) asking me to meet him at New Street, which was fine by me, so after a few minutes I hopped onto the late running 17:29 to New Street, powered by an unidentified LM 350, the train was practically deserted, so it was a nice ride, if a bit slow, into New Street, as we didn't arrive at Galton Bridge until 17:50, suffice to say, if I'd have been doing the challenge proper, I'd have been cra**ing myself at this point! :lol:

8183761351_7621b55f00_n.jpg
[/url] 390131 at Wolverhampton by Transport Tim, on Flickr[/IMG]

Ollie has his own part to add from when I missed the train at Wolverhampton to when we met at New Street, got anything to add Ollie?

However we got into New Street at about 17:57, so I made a quick dash up the stairs, and got to the meeting point at 17:59! Ollie, Dan and Lewis were already there, you already know what happened after this point until the meal finished, so I'll take the story up again just after the meal finished, when myself and Charlie were discussing how backwards Devon is... We then all went our separate ways, myself and Ollie to the 20:12 to Plymouth via WH Smith's, where Ollie topped up on overpriced snacks, we then went down the stairs to our platform (once we'd found it!) and hopped on to the rather crowded Voyager, however we once again had a table rerserved, only to find some rather drunk football fans playing cards at it! We let two of them sit next to us, and watched as they got ever more drunk, one of them just couldn't win to save his life, and the banter was absolutely hilarious! He finally won just before Bristol Temple Meads.

After Bristol (where the 47's were once again seen) we came in for our share of ribbing, as another drunken passenger had seen me attempting to phot a 47 at BRI, though he got ribbed as well due to his choice of trousers and footwear plus something else which I better not go into here, as I don't really want to get banned!

The party posse alighted at Taunton, so we had a bit time to recover before we got into Tiverton Parkway, although that isn't quite the end, as Ollie decided to show off his gymnastics skills on a Zebra Crossing outside the station while we were waiting for our lift back (Tiverton Parkway is a whole seven miles from the town it serves!), suffice to say he ended up on his behind, and he'd left his change in an open pocket too.... :lol:

All in all it was a good day, definitely worth the money!

So my mileage:

Birmingham New Street – Smethwick Galton Bridge: 4m 00ch
Smethwick Galton Bridge – Birmingham Moor Street: 4m 25ch
Birmingham New Street – Birmingham International: 8m 18ch
Birmingham International – Coventry: 10m 56ch
Smethwick Galton Bridge – Wolverhampton: 8m 70ch

So only about 35 miles, but you have to remember that mileage wasn't the primary purpose for us :lol:

8182729332_cbf5c258a4_n.jpg
[/url] 350121 at Birmingham International by Transport Tim, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is the first "proper" trip report I've done, so I apologise if it doesn't read too well!

Last edited:

Trainfan344

Established Member
It's a lot less if you only tot up the unique mileage, but glad to see you had fun

SS4

Established Member
Plus if you ever want snacks go upstairs to the Tesco Express at the top of the escalator. Together with the Sainsburys at Euston I spend far too much money on water and snacks.

Btw did you clear any metro mileage on your daytripper?

Status
Not open for further replies.