• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham Moor Street Regeneration plans revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47595029

Birmingham Moor Street Station regeneration plans revealed

Designs which aim to "future-proof" a Birmingham railway station have been revealed.

Moor Street is to be redeveloped to make way for growing passenger numbers and create links to Birmingham New Street and planned HS2 services at Curzon Street.

Its concourse will be doubled and two new platforms created.

It will also increase capacity to and from the East Midlands, Hereford, Worcester and the South West.

A second entrance is also planned to the south of the station, but the designs keep the station's Grade II listed entrance and concourse, which dates back to 1914.

Midlands Connect, the body behind long-term transport plans for the region, said it "future-proofs" the station, where passenger numbers are expected to grow to 12 million a year within the next 24 years, with further increases expected with the arrival of HS2 in 2026.

The initial plans have been developed by West Midlands Rail Executive in collaboration with Transport for West Midlands, Midlands Connect, Network Rail, HS2 Ltd, Chiltern Railways, West Midlands Railway and Birmingham City Council.

Andy Street, Mayor of the West Midlands, said: "We have big plans for transport in the West Midlands and the expansion of Moor Street is a crucial part of that.

"This vision for Moor Street will not only provide a better experience for commuters but with two extra platforms, it will set the foundation for the future expansion of rail services."

Tom Wilne, project director at HS2 Ltd, said: "We're pleased to see plans progressing for Moor Street station and look forward to continuing to work with our partners across the region."

I noticed they are planning to divert East Midlands Services (primarily Nottingham and Leicester), Worcester and South West (Bristol or Cardiff).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
I'm all for it as the designs keep the Grade II listed entrance and concourse, which dates back to 1914 but also because it future proofs the station for years to come with 2 new platforms and a new entrance.

JonathanP

Seems a bit of a shame to me to start adding modern additions when so much effort went into the current lovely heritage restoration, which was only done relatively recently itself. Then again, I suppose the big glass box adjacent to platform 2 isn't really heritage either.

I don't quite get it to be honest. They didn't even bother bringing the existing platforms into use - and now they want even more?

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
Seems a bit of a shame to me to start adding modern additions when so much effort went into the current lovely heritage restoration, which was only done relatively recently itself. Then again, I suppose the big glass box adjacent to platform 2 isn't really heritage either.

I don't quite get it to be honest. They didn't even bother bringing the existing platforms into use - and now they want even more?

To cater for East Midlands, Worcester, Hereford and South West Services Via the Bordesley Chords.

59CosG95

Established Member
I rather like that. Specifically, I'm a big fan of the new over-platform footbridge - it looks as if the architects have tried to eke out a similarity between the existing Grade II building with the roof design. Interesting to see how they'll fit that 6th platform in though with the position of that flight of stairs!

Indeed, the 2 platforms tie in with the Bordesley Chords development, which themselves tie in nicely with local Camp Hill Line services...and those mooted new stations between Grand Jct and Water Orton. Feels like an age ago when I based my dissertation on all this!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ugh, that is ugly as sin. I thought when they did St Pancras they realised that it actually looks better to bolt new onto old than it does to build fake-old? That footbridge is awful.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Ugh, that is ugly as sin. I thought when they did St Pancras they realised that it actually looks better to bolt new onto old than it does to build fake-old? That footbridge is awful.
At St Pancras they were prevented from building a fake replica (ie a matching extension) by the Heritage people.

Harbornite

Established Member

What's so confusing, more platforms are needed for more trains...

Aictos

Established Member
What's so confusing, more platforms are needed for more trains...

More trains being a good thing of course meaning more services to more destinations especially when the Bordesley Chords development is completed and in use.

Anyway far better to future proof the station now with more platforms then currently needed then wait a few years and have capacity issues such as with St Pancras when they reduced from 7 platforms? to just 4 because it was assumed it was enough.

6Gman

Established Member

The current footbridge is remarkably unobtrusive. The only station I can think of where I've missed a train because I couldn't find the footbridge! o_O

6Gman

Established Member
I think it looks superb! Good link to Curzon Street AND I'll be able to bus spot and train spot from the end of the footbridge! :lol:

BantamMenace

I find the under the arch entrance and possible concourse interesting. What current exists these arches?

SoccerHQ

Don't like the design either but if it actually means the long mooted chords and also pedestrian link to New Street actually happen (rather than still talking about in in another 10 years) it's a neccesary evil.

Guy on local TV interviewed says he wants all this done before HS2 Curzon station opens. Wishful thinking I'd say...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The new hotel buildings on Midland Road is a matching build to the original.
Oh sure, I was only referring to the main train shed. The flat roof extension was a regular discussion point back in the 2000s. It was all about the distant views from the north, eg from Hampstead Heath, staying nearly the same, which I think they almost do.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I find the under the arch entrance and possible concourse interesting. What current exists these arches?

A car repair shop, an internet café and a burger joint are in the arches around the other side . Afaik the side in the render is just unused space right now. It was part of the goods shed once upon a time.

modernrail

At St Pancras they were prevented from building a fake replica (ie a matching extension) by the Heritage people.
Ah is that how we ended up with a nice low roof to reflect the ample HST emissions into the lungs of EMT passengers. The EMT provision at St Pancras badly let's down an otherwise super station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ah is that how we ended up with a nice low roof to reflect the ample HST emissions into the lungs of EMT passengers. The EMT provision at St Pancras badly let's down an otherwise super station.

The real solution to that, of course, is to come out of the dark ages and not have diesel mainlines. DMUs are for branch lines, not several major lines into one of the world's biggest and foremost cities.

Pre-IET Paddington stunk to high heaven as well (of a combination of diesel fumes, oil drops and human urine and faeces) - the roof makes barely any actual difference, and it's better ventilated than Paddington in any case.

CptCharlee

I never knew there were plans for services to the South West and Worcester from Moor Street. Or is this just a provision?

I hate the footbridge too, very ugly architecture. I think anything remotely bold will look ugly when Moor Street is so greatly restored.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
There already are services to Worcester from Snow Hill/Moor St. I used one on Sunday.

Basically the Birmingham to Hereford Via Worcester and Bromsgrove, South West Via Worcester (towards Cardiff or Bristol), Birmingham-Nottingham and Birmingham-Leicester will be rerouted to Moor Street to free up space at New Street.
I know the plan is for 4 trains per hour to Nottingham and 4 to Leicester from Moor Street.
These routes will run via Camp Hill Chords hence the need four Four terminal platforms for these services. Existing terminators will run to Snow Hill instead.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Basically the Birmingham to Hereford Via Worcester and Bromsgrove, South West Via Worcester (towards Cardiff or Bristol), Birmingham-Nottingham and Birmingham-Leicester will be rerouted to Moor Street to free up space at New Street. These routes will run via Camp Hill Chords.
What’s your source for re-routeing the existing XC Nottingham and Leicester services please? Won’t the XC franchise want to maintain same station interchange (at New St) between their different routes?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What’s your source for re-routeing the existing XC Nottingham and Leicester services please? Won’t the XC franchise want to maintain same station interchange (at New St) between their different routes?

This is a fair point, but Moor St is not really much further away from New St than Platforms 13/14 are away from the concourse at Manc Picc. It doesn't I suppose help that the shortest way is through a manky and unsafe-feeling road tunnel, though.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member

These will be transferred from CrossCountry to West Midlands Railway first.

http://westmidlandsrail.com/media/2833/west-midlands-rail-article.pdf (Here is one)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47595029 (the quote is from this article)

It also mentions on the article about Moor Street that:

There would also be increased capacity to and from the East Midlands, Hereford, Worcester and the South West.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I would expect the extra trains to reduce the stops on some (at least) of the Birmingham-Nottingham trains, which would facilitate timetable adjustments so many longer-distance XC passengers to/from east of Derby could change trains there instead of at New Street (the connection is missed twice an hour currently). Passengers between stations to Cardiff and the North East can already change at Cheltenham. Moor Street is also more convenient for the HS2 station at Curzon Street.

The Planner

Veteran Member
All aspirational, no one knows if it works yet, and the chords on their own won't allow it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
All aspirational, no one knows if it works yet, and the chords on their own won't allow it.

True. I don't think it's a terrible thing, though - it's Snow Hill that's out in the sticks - with HS2 what you'll essentially get is a transport interchange comprising Curzon St, New St, Moor St and the bus stops on the main road. But they do need to seriously tidy up the way between them, in particular that scummy tunnel which really needs 24 hour security - or might even benefit from a travelator or similar.

It's not a lot different from Liverpool Central and Lime St, which are less than 10 minutes walk apart, and almost no local ever uses the Loop line to connect between the two unless they have mobility issues or it's absolutely throwing it down (and if you do, unless you use the lifts at both ends you walk further than you would above ground between the two).

Status
Not open for further replies.