• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham Moor Street/Snow Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Hi all,

Off to Birmingham on Monday with my daughter (she wants to shop :( )

So I made the condition that we had to go out of Marylebone so I can get a 68 (first for sight and haulage) there at very least.

What other stock will be seen at Moor Street and Snow Hill (if I decided on a extra trip to Snow Hill and back) ?

I am guessing 170s, 158s, 156s?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Both Moor Street and Snow Hell are almost solely 172s and 168s with a 2 hourly 165 at Moor Street and a one daily 153/170 (but you'd be unlikely to see them). Also, at Snow Hell, you can see the Midland Metro.

03_179

Established Member
Both Moor Street and Snow Hell are almost solely 172s and 168s with a 2 hourly 165 at Moor Street and a one daily 153/170 (but you'd be unlikely to see them). Also, at Snow Hell, you can see the Midland Metro.

Cheers the metro are what class 150s ??

Also hope to get a few photos of the trams

sprinterguy

Established Member
I am guessing 170s, 158s, 156s?
There's only one diagram that takes a 170 (a pair of them in multiple, in the morning) through Birmingham Snow Hill or Moor Street on a weekday, and no chance of either of the latter.

Class 172s are the staple traction on local London Midland services, while the majority of Chiltern services are formed of class 168s and a 2-car class 165 is staple traction on the 2-hourly Moor Street - Leamington shuttle.

03_179

Established Member
Thanks guys ....

No idea on trams ... apart from the ones here (Croydung). ;)

I hope to be on the 08:41 MYB-BMO which is booked as a cl.68 :)

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Fish, are there no longer any Loco-hauled runs to Stourbridge and Kidderminster?
Two of the three loco-hauled diagrams that originate in the West Midlands start from Kidderminster in the morning, the other from Stourbridge. All three run back through to Kidderminster in the evening.

03_179

Established Member
It is indeed. I suggest being on the 15:55 back if possible as that should also be a 68 (the same one).

Depends on how much a 13 year old can spend on clothes and shoes LOL

I'll aim for that one, but if not I may have to use a unit back.

What's it like at BMO or BSW to take a photo or two of the Loco when we arrive? Bright and clear and free of uniformed jobsworths ?

boxy321

Are you aware the Chiltern line is closed this week South of Leamington. I have not seen the class 68s operating at all. All Chiltern services in/out of Moor Street have been class 168s this week.

03_179

Established Member
Are you aware the Chiltern line is closed this week South of Leamington. I have not seen the class 68s operating at all. All Chiltern services in/out of Moor Street have been class 168s this week.

Nope. Will they still be through services ?

I looked on RTT and they seemed to be running.

boxy321

Sorry, just seen the bit about Monday next week. Lets hope the engineering work doesn't overrun then.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
What's it like at BMO or BSW to take a photo or two of the Loco when we arrive? Bright and clear and free of uniformed jobsworths ?
Moor Street it excellent and I've never had a problem with the staff and it is bright and clear as you want. Snow Hell is pretty much in a tunnel.

It'll be back open with operations as normal by next Monday.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Not an issue for travel next Monday, though, when the route has reopened.

03_179

Established Member
Thanks all :)

So a 68 is looking good ... Will report back in due course (or add to my blog) :)

Harbornite

Established Member
I thought I'd chip in...

As has been said before, the majority of London Midland services are 172/2 or 172/3, with one or two North warks services operated by 170 or a 170 and 153 in multiple.

Chiltern services to Marylebone are 168s, 68s and mark 3s or 168 and 172 in multiple, while 165s work the moor street- Leamington shuttle. All trams on the Midland metro are urbos units, all the T69s are gone.

As for freight, there hasn't been any for years since the scrap workings stopped running that way.

Harbornite

Established Member
Also if you go to the bullring car park (not the best spot, it's a bit exposed), you can see all traffic to and from the east end of New street as well as freight and Crosscountry workings on the camp hill line.

Harbornite

Established Member
Utter nightmare the Queens Head trains are.

Is that due to the fact that the scrapyard and run around sidings are on different sides of the mainline? Speaking of which, it's because of those sidings that the viaduct was built.

Status
Not open for further replies.