• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham New Street and Trainspotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Searle

Established Member
Have heard a few reports of the staff at Birmingham New Street that they seem to not like people taking pictures or videos there. Being the avid trainspotter I am, I'm passing through in a few weeks time and was planning on taking some photos while I'm there. Does anyone have any advice or any past stories of staff there that may be useful to me?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Depends on the members of staff concerned.

When I visited New Street about 2 years ago making a connection I decided to get a snap of a ATW class 158 with my new camera and quickly told a member of staff who was nearby what I was going to do and whom told me to carry on so long as I didnt use flash etc.

Anyway best suggestion I have would be to make yourself know to staff and sign in and dont act like an idiot.

Crossover

Established Member
I think it does depend on the staff. I once tried taking a pic of an XC Turbostar there, but took a while framing it and holding it steady...a member of staff asked if I was videoing (which I don't think they appreciated people doing). At this point I'd barely been off my arriving service more than about a minute or so!

Have heard a few reports of the staff at Birmingham New Street that they seem to not like people taking pictures or videos there. Being the avid trainspotter I am, I'm passing through in a few weeks time and was planning on taking some photos while I'm there. Does anyone have any advice or any past stories of staff there that may be useful to me?

Thanks!

I take pictures there all the time, and no-one says anything, some network rail staff are even there when I'm doing it, but usually if it's a long snapping session I'll ask for permission

district

The guidelines are clear. Sign in with staff, stay in public areas of the station, don't use a tripod and make sure flash is turned off.

Crossover

Established Member
I should have mentioned that I was merely passing through, and just happened to have my camera and see something I don't usually.

Anyway, on the whole New Street is a terrible place for photography as it is so dingy!

Temple Meads

Established Member
I've photted a number of times for over an hour at New Street without signing in or asking permission, and I've not had a problem.

Well, I've had numerous problems with the light and people walking into shot, but that's a separate issue :lol:

Searle

Established Member
On a related note, I'm off to New York in a week, and I was wondering if anyone knows what the stance on trainspotters is, in Penn or Grand Central? I'd imagine it's the usual let yourself be known scenario, but I'm not sure, I'm always nervous when going abroad :P

district

On a related note, I'm off to New York in a week, and I was wondering if anyone knows what the stance on trainspotters is, in Penn or Grand Central? I'd imagine it's the usual let yourself be known scenario, but I'm not sure, I'm always nervous when going abroad :P

From www.grandcentralterminal.com :

GrandCentralTerminal.com said:
If I want to take pictures in Grand Central, would I need a permit?
Anyone is free to take pictures inside Grand Central. However, if you would be using professional equipment like a tripod, you would need to get a permit through Metro-North's Corporate & Public Affairs Department. Please contact Meredith Conti at (212) 340-4825 or via e-mail at [email protected]. Please allow one week minimum advance notice or more, depending on the scope of your request.
There may be additional licensing and fee requirements if you will be using the photographs for a commercial purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.