• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham New Street to Birmingham Snow Hill.Without reversing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or vice versa.There are some who are familiar with this poser.They might refrain from answering...:|

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Take the train to Smethwick Galton Bridge and change, or maybe train to Wolverhampton and then the tram if you fancied a long route? Or do you mean if you could run a direct train what way would you go?

Death

Established Member
Actually, I did this on Tuesday...And it's such a doddle, I can't believe I didn't think to post it when I saw this thread earlier! :shock:
  • From the concourse/ticket offices at Birmingham New Street:...
  • Take the escalator up into the Pallasades Shopping Centre and turn left,
  • Follow the corridor to the first exit next to Foot Locker and head down the ramp into Corporation St.
  • Follow Corporation Street for about 150m, then turn left into Cherry St,
  • At the end of Cherry St, turn right into Temple Row,
  • Follow Temple Row along for about 80m, then turn left into the Great Western Arcade,
  • Proceed through the Great Western Arcade, coming out of the other end. Cross the road at the traffic lights,
  • Head straight on across the plaza and into the passage leading to Snow Hill station.
For trams, turn immediateley right upon arrival. For all other rail services, proceed straight on through the ticket barriers. No reversals necessary, and it's quicker than catching a train from Moor St! 8):razz:<D

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If you allow freight only lines then is the shortest via Didcot Power Station?

Death

Established Member
I don't know if my answer was the correct one or not (I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek, remembering how I changed stations in Brum on Tuesday) but I'd like to have another go at setting a possibly fiendish one of my own... <D

Farnborough Main to Farnborough North: (Or vice-versa)
  • Travelling by train only - All other transport is prohibited,
  • Your train may start at either station and set off using existing lines in any direction,
  • Your train may only travel forwards once started...Reversals, cab changes, blind moves and backing-up are not allowed,
  • Your train may not proceed North of Leamington Spa, or West of Basingstoke.
Have phun! <D

If you allow freight only lines then is the shortest via Didcot Power Station?

Yes,Matt,but Network Rail Western Region would not allow it.Acton plays a part in one of the circuitous routes....:|
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Take the train to Smethwick Galton Bridge and change, or maybe train to Wolverhampton and then the tram if you fancied a long route? Or do you mean if you could run a direct train what way would you go?

Direct route.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What route would you need to take from Birmingham New Street to get to Birmingham Snow Hill without reversing (or going via Power Stations :lol:) is the quiz.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
New Street - Small Heath - Solihull - Banbury - High Wycombe - South Greenford - Hanwell - Reading - Oxford - Banbury - Solihull - Snow Hill

devon_metro

Established Member
Birmingham - Gloucester - Lydney - Newport east curve - Cwmbran - Hereford - Birmingham
Or
Birmingham - Cheltenham - Stroud - Swindon - Didcot West - Oxford - Birmingham

Birmingham - Gloucester - Lydney - Newport east curve - Cwmbran - Hereford - Birmingham
Or
Birmingham - Cheltenham - Stroud - Swindon - Didcot West - Oxford - Birmingham

Correct,both routes.

Death

Established Member
Is Birmingham NS > Stafford > Manchester Picc > Preston > Carlisle > Glasgow low-level > Stirling > Perth > Aviemore > Inverness southern junctions > Aberdeen > Dundee > Coupar Angus > Kircaldy > Edinburgh > Newcastle > York > Doncaster > Peterborough > Ely > Bury St. Edmunds > Ipswich > Shenfield > Camden Town > High Wycombe > Banbury > Lemmington Spa > Solihull > Moor St. > Snow Hill a valid route? :D8)<D

Well that is certainly the longest route although I am sure we could find a Saltley driver with the requisite route knowledge to do it !:lol::lol:

Episodically,yes.If Death allows Carlisle via Leeds.Then cushioned travel until York when as in "Elizabethan"times,we could reach Doncaster.PNB to Peterborough.OK to Ely,then short rest to Wembley FL.RR then over the Acton Wells line onto the dear old Western and downwards and upwards,poetically speaking.Swindon as route refresh(after 3 years absence;))personally,it`d then be via Kemble.The rest would be plain steaming...:D

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I don't know if my answer was the correct one or not (I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek, remembering how I changed stations in Brum on Tuesday) but I'd like to have another go at setting a possibly fiendish one of my own... <D

Farnborough Main to Farnborough North: (Or vice-versa)
  • Travelling by train only - All other transport is prohibited,
  • Your train may start at either station and set off using existing lines in any direction,
  • Your train may only travel forwards once started...Reversals, cab changes, blind moves and backing-up are not allowed,
  • Your train may not proceed North of Leamington Spa, or West of Basingstoke.
Have phun! <D

Okay, there are a couple of variations possible and it may not be the shortest route (it's the only one I can see at the moment) so pay attention.....

Farnborough North - Guildford - Redhill - East Croydon - Selhurst - Streatham (or Crystal Palace - Tulse Hill) - Peckham Rye - Catford (or Catford Bridge) - Shortlands - Petts Wood - Tonbridge - Ashford Intl - Dover Priory (Or straight to Ramsgate) - Canterbury East (or Ramsgate) - Faversham - Dartford (or St Mary Cray) - HIther Green (or Eltham or Charlton) - Peckham Rye - Streatham - Wimbledon - Woking - Farnborough

Death

Established Member
Okay, there are a couple of variations possible and it may not be the shortest route (it's the only one I can see at the moment) so pay attention.....

Farnborough North - Guildford - Redhill - East Croydon - Selhurst - Streatham (or Crystal Palace - Tulse Hill) - Peckham Rye - Catford (or Catford Bridge) - Shortlands - Petts Wood - Tonbridge - Ashford Intl - Dover Priory (Or straight to Ramsgate) - Canterbury East (or Ramsgate) - Faversham - Dartford (or St Mary Cray) - HIther Green (or Eltham or Charlton) - Peckham Rye - Streatham - Wimbledon - Woking - Farnborough
Ahh...So someone did see my post, then! :D

That looks like a good route to me, and certainly a great idea for an all-day railtour! Mind ye though, when I posted that I was thinking that Farnborough North > Guildford > Dorking West > Redhill > Purley > Streatham Common > Balham > Wimbledon > Surbiton > Woking > Farnborough Main would've been the typical route. :)

Ye can do a left turn coming off of the North Downs line onto the Victoria branch at Redhill, can't ye? :shock::?:

Pumbaa

Established Member
Yes... but I can't see how'd you go from Streatham Common to Balham... the Junction is in the Up direction towards Victoria...

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
.... when I posted that I was thinking that Farnborough North > Guildford > Dorking West > Redhill > Purley > Streatham Common > Balham > Wimbledon > Surbiton > Woking > Farnborough Main would've been the typical route. :)....

Would you not be doubling back at Balham?

D1001

Farnborough Main - Basingstoke - Reading - Farnborough North

which of course involves a reversal!

Ho hum.

devon_metro

Established Member
Farnborough North - Guildford - Reading - Westbury - Salisbury - Basingstoke - Farnborough Main

JonG

Farnborough North - Guildford - Reigate - Redhill - East Croydon - Norwood Jn - Crystal Palace - Tulse Hill - Herne Hill - Brixton - Wandsworth Road - Clapham Jn (Windsor Lines) - Barnes - Feltham - Virginia Water - Chertsey - Woking - Farnborough (Main).

Death

Established Member
Yes... but I can't see how'd you go from Streatham Common to Balham... the Junction is in the Up direction towards Victoria...
Would you not be doubling back at Balham?
According to the plan that I used when I came up with mine, it should be possible to go from Redhill to Wimbledon without reversing. :?:

I've never visited Balham myself (And I only really mentioned it as I'd break my journey there with the sole intention of amending all of the station name signs to read Balham-Sagoth, anyway! :lol:<D) but from what I've heard and seen on the stylised diagrams that I prefer to use, Balham is a typical straight through station anyway, isn't it? :)

Farnborough Main - Basingstoke - Reading - Farnborough North
which of course involves a reversal!
Two wrongs don't make a right, D1001! :razz:
(That is to say; Two reversals don't cancel each other out to make zero! ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.