• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham New Street to Birmingham Snow Hill.Without reversing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Central - Hooton- Chester - Helsby - Frodsham - Runcorn East - Warrington Bank Quay - Earlstown - Huyton - Lime St? This is only from my rail atlas, so I dont know if you need to reverse or not

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
New Street-Longbridge-Cheltenham Spa-Stroud-Swindon-Oxford-Banbury-Leamington Spa-Tyseley-Moor Street.

How about.....

Exeter St Thomas - Exeter Central (no reversals, no freight only lines, no using the same line twice)

D1001

New Street-Longbridge-Cheltenham Spa-Stroud-Swindon-Oxford-Banbury-Leamington Spa-Tyseley-Moor Street.

How about.....

Exeter St Thomas - Exeter Central (no reversals, no freight only lines, no using the same line twice)

Exeter St Thomas - Taunton - Reading - Guildford - Havant - Fareham - Eastleigh - Romsey - Salisbury - Exeter Central

How about Dorking Deepdene - Dorking Main (may be really easy, I haven't checked!)

MCR247

Established Member
Dorking Deepdene - Guilford - Reading - Basingstoke - Winchester - Eastleigh - Fareham - Chichester - Barnham - Ford - Arundel - Horsham - Dorking Main

Death

Established Member
Birmingham Moor Street to Birmingham New Street from the same cab,via Oxford.
Hows about...
  • Depart Moor St
  • Follow Chiltern route towards Banbury
  • Arrive Oxford
  • [Move reverser into the "backwards" position]
  • Request a straight, cleared route via Leamington Spa to New St
  • Move power lever to notch V and fall asleep for half an hour! :shock::razz::lol:

How can one get from Tamworth High Level to Tamworth Low Level by rail without reversal? Could be a poser,this..

NSEFAN

Established Member
Tamworth High Level to Tamworth Low Level by rail without reversal

Tamworth High Level - Burton-on-Trent - Stenson Jn - Sheet Stores Jn - East Midlands Parkway - Leicester - South Wigston - Nuneaton - Tamworth Low Level

Tamworth High Level to Tamworth Low Level by rail without reversal
Tamworth High Level - Burton-on-Trent - Stenson Jn - Sheet Stores Jn - East Midlands Parkway - Leicester - South Wigston - Nuneaton - Tamworth Low Level

One problem.There is no direct lead onto the WCML from the Hinckley direction is there? Or is there?

Saltleyman

There is indeed a connection at the south end of Nuneaton station froim the "Up Slow" to the Leicester line,speed limit 40 mph.
There is also a connection from the Leicester line to the "Up Slow" also 40 mph,and a connection in the "Down" derection off the "Up Slow"( north end of Nuneaton station) to the Birmingham line via Abbey Junction,all crossover roads are 40 mph.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Please note speeds I mentioned in above post are incorrect,the speed at the north end of the platform 5 (Up & Down Trent Valley Slow) towards Birmingham are U&D TVS to Up Main 40mph,then all other crossroads are 25 mph as they were before re-modelling.:oops:

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
I've got one. Glasgow Central High Level to Glasgow Queen Street low level, with the following conditions;

• You may not reverse or change direction
  • You are driving a class 158, and therefore cannot go via Glasgow Central LL. See here for permitted routes
  • You may not leave Scotland

There is indeed a connection at the south end of Nuneaton station froim the "Up Slow" to the Leicester line,speed limit 40 mph.
There is also a connection from the Leicester line to the "Up Slow" also 40 mph,and a connection in the "Down" derection off the "Up Slow"( north end of Nuneaton station) to the Birmingham line via Abbey Junction,all crossover roads are 40 mph.
Please note speeds I mentioned in above post are incorrect,the speed at the north end of the platform 5 (Up & Down Trent Valley Slow) towards Birmingham are U&D TVS to Up Main 40mph,then all other crossroads are 25 mph as they were before re-modelling.:oops:

Thank you Saltleyman.I just couldn`t picture it after the remodelling.Also the lead off the Leicester line onto the BI-Di Up Slow was installed after I retired.

Last edited:

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Go to Burton and take the freight line to Litchfield TV Low Lev, then down the WCML

That requires a reversal.

Tamworth High level - Coalville - Hinckley - Nuneaton - Tamworth Low Level is probably the shortest

Crossover

Established Member
I was looking at this and thinking about another one which, since other people have diversified off the original post I suggest:
Smethwick Galton Bridge LL to Smethwick Galton Bridge HL - again no reversals, no transfers between stations by any other method than train and no freight only lines.

P.S. Death - loving the logic/idea but if I see you driving a train I'm getting on I may be a little concerned :P

Galton Bridge Low Level-Biham New Street- Grand Junction-Lifford Jcn-Kings Norton- Cheltenham-Kemble-Swindon-Oxford-Leamington-Birmingham Snow Hill-Galton Bridge High Level.
A tad circuitous,maybe there are lesser mileage options.

westcoaster

Established Member
how about this for the original posting new street-grand junction- st andrews junction-bordesley junction-small heath- tyseley loco works- tyseley turntable:lol:- tyseley loco works- small heath-birminghm snow hill. no reversing there. also this should work for the smehtwick to smethwick route.

Last edited:
Acceptable due, to use of innovative method of completing journey.:)Aficianados may disagree,Westcoaster......

How about...

1. Wigan Wallgate - Wigan North Western

and

2.Pontefract Tanshelf - Pontefract Monkhill

-without going via freight only lines and NO back tracking

D6975

Established Member
How about...

and

2.Pontefract Tanshelf - Pontefract Monkhill

-without going via freight only lines and NO back tracking

2 - Get a direct service, it takes 2 mins according to the timetable

It's Baghill that's on the other line.

djw1981

Established Member
Is Birmingham NS > Stafford > Manchester Picc > Preston > Carlisle > Glasgow low-level > Stirling > Perth > Aviemore > Inverness southern junctions > Aberdeen > Dundee > Coupar Angus > Kircaldy > Edinburgh > Newcastle > York > Doncaster > Peterborough > Ely > Bury St. Edmunds > Ipswich > Shenfield > Camden Town > High Wycombe > Banbury > Lemmington Spa > Solihull > Moor St. > Snow Hill a valid route? :D8)<D

Not valid as far as I can see via Glasgow Central LL or Queen St LL.

However via the Mossened yard and Cumbernauld is fiune from Carlisle - Motehrwell - Cumbernauld - Stirling.,
I've got one. Glasgow Central High Level to Glasgow Queen Street low level, with the following conditions;

• You may not reverse or change direction
  • You are driving a class 158, and therefore cannot go via Glasgow Central LL. See here for permitted routes
  • You may not leave Scotland

Glasgow Queen st high level, Cowlairs Chord, onto electrified lines, Bellgrove jctn and glasgopw Queen St Low level.

Lampshade

Established Member
How about...

I've put in every station, not sure whether that was needed but hey :)

I take the definition of backtracking to be reversing/setting off in the direction at which you arrived from; eliminating a reversal at Lostock or Salford Crescent so:

Wigan Wallgate > Ince > Hindley > Daisy Hill > Hag Fold > Atherton > Walkden > Moorside > Swinton > Salford Crescent > Salford Central > Manchester Victoria > Rochdale > Todmorden > Leeds > Lancaster > Preston > Wigan North Western

Simples :D

Last edited by a moderator:

D6975

Established Member
Not valid as far as I can see via Glasgow Central LL or Queen St LL.

However via the Mossened yard and Cumbernauld is fiune from Carlisle - Motehrwell - Cumbernauld - Stirling.,

Glasgow Queen st high level, Cowlairs Chord, onto electrified lines, Bellgrove jctn and glasgopw Queen St Low level.

Yes, but how did you get from Central high level to Queen St high level?

4SRKT

Established Member
I've put in every station, not sure whether that was needed but hey :)

I take the definition of backtracking to be reversing/setting off in the direction at which you arrived from; eliminating a reversal at Lostock or Salford Crescent so:

Wigan Wallgate > Ince > Hindley > Daisy Hill > Hag Fold > Atherton > Walkden > Moorside > Swinton > Salford Crescent > Salford Central > Manchester Victoria > Rochdale > Todmorden > Leeds > Lancaster > Preston > Wigan North Western

Simples :D

Surely this requires a reversal at Leeds (and unless you're careful, Bradford Interchange as well). Since you can't get into the east end of Leeds station except from the York or Hull lines, Leeds is useless as a point in this route.

Up until recently it was pretty easy:

Wallgate > Victoria > Oldham loop > Salford Crescent > Bolton > North Western.

The best I can come up with now is:

Wallgate > Victoria > Brighouse > Huddersfield > Piccadilly > North Western.

I would say the best route would be Central HL > Whifflet > Motherwell > Hamilton Circle > Anniesland > Queen St HL

djw1981

Established Member

\Thats the easy one
Central High level-Newton-Hamilton-Motherwell-Braidhurst loops-Mossend Yard-Gartcosh Junction-Springburn-Cowlairs chord - Queen St High level.

4SRKT

Established Member
\Thats the easy one
Central High level-Newton-Hamilton-Motherwell-Braidhurst loops-Mossend Yard-Gartcosh Junction-Springburn-Cowlairs chord - Queen St High level.

Are freight lines allowed then?

djw1981

Established Member
Passenger ECS stock goes that way. As does the Motherwell-Cumbernauld DMU service (except for the SUnnyside link (all 1.2 miles of it)

Failing that,

Central High level - Motherwell-Carstairs-Edinburgh Waverley (eastbound)-Edinburgh Sub-Queen ST high level is the easy one (sub is used for an XC journey early morning) IIRC
I would say the best route would be Central HL > Whifflet > Motherwell > Hamilton Circle > Anniesland > Queen St HL

The electrified Argyle line at Anniesland has no track connection to the DMU service to Queen St, even though the platforms are adjacent.

Hmm I think in hindsight I meant that the OP referred to going via Glasgow low level and I was pointing out that from the south you cannot pass through either low level station and progress to Stirling without reversing or changing ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.